Dream - Gluten Free, recent experiences?

K8T

We’ve booked the Dream for July in Europe and our daughter is Coeliac and has a wheat allergy (anaphylaxis). Last summer on the Magic the GF options were poor, we did get offered separate things like melon for starter and fruit or Mickey Ice lolly for desert, but it wasn’t spontaneous as it used to be. 

We are Platinum and cruise DCL because of the ease with which they have in the past catered for Coeliacs and therefore to find the ice cream was no longer GF so no on deck ices or smoothies and there were often no GF starters or deserts, was surprising and disappointing.  

I did speak to the Maitre D and contacted DCL afterwards to let them know, but I’m now panicking that the Dream will be the same.  

I’ve always championed Disney for coeliacs, but would hesitate to do that now,  so has anyone on the Dream recent experience please?

Thank you. 

• 1 month later...

I hope someone responds on this, since I am thinking about a cruise with our family of 5 and I have Celics. We would be on the Wish so I don't know if their policies are cruiseline wide or ship by ship.

Thanks

It was May, but there were definitely plenty of options on the menu - and my servers were willing to work with me.

Desserts are always hit or miss, but I'm perfectly fine with a Mickey Bar so I don't stress about it that much.

I have seen on sites that have menus where the Wish has specific allergy menus (as well as marking the regular one for gluten-free items) which will make things easier - and seemed to maybe have some things not on the main one (but not positive on that). Hopefully that will spread to the other ships as well. If for no other reason than having those seems like you may not have to pre-order the night before - I can add more after August, but that would be a big plus.

You do still need to be proactive - let them know ahead of time so that they can be sure to have enough gf bread ordered. I've been on a cruise (RCCL, not Disney) where they had a lot more people eating gluten-free than had reported in advance to the point that even the 10% over that they had ordered did not cover things and they had to re-provision mid-cruise in Venice (where luckily they had a provisioning agent as they had some ships embarking there) because they were running out. And also be proactive with your servers. If your specific server is not being helpful, ask for the head server and/or dining room manager.

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart

On 3/7/2023 at 9:06 PM, mtnlvr53 said:

I hope someone responds on this, since I am thinking about a cruise with our family of 5 and I have Celics. We would be on the Wish so I don't know if their policies are cruiseline wide or ship by ship.

Thanks

Have you noted the food restrictions on your reservation?  That's a good first step.   It gives DCL the opportunity to stock up if they're aware of how many guests need accomodation. 

• Thanks 2