Koningsdam Aft Verandah Deck 5 or 8?

EllieBun

Hello!  We are looking at the VS aft verandah cabins and considering Deck 5 or Deck 8.  It's hard to determine if these are basically the same size or not.  I know that the Deck 8 balcony is completely covered and that the Deck 5 is not (assume that means Deck 6 verandah guests can look down onto your verandah) but does anyone else know of any other differences?  I also would ordinarily not choose Deck 8 because it's under the Lido deck chair area but have also seen posts saying this is not a big deal and for whatever reason I'm attracted to the higher cabin but my husband is thinking the lower one.  We'd love to base this on data vs. vague feelings!

If you have experiences to share, that would be welcomed.  This is an Alaska cruise in late Summer.  Thank you!

Hey Neighbour! We are booked in an aft deck 8 balcony on Koningsdam upcoming Hawaii RT. If the On-board Wi-fi is worth a salt, I will post a photo. I have read on CC roll-calls there have been cigarettes from the smoking zone up from deck 9 that blows down to these lower verandas.  

While tied to the pier in SanDiego another ship was blowing engine exhaust onto the balconies because not all ships are capable of receiving power from the pier.

There are always cruiser that use balconies to inhale Weed while aboard. 
Then way back we were on a b2b to Alaska when one ship backed into another damaging the cabins that stick out the back on Deck5. 

But there is a hypnotic spell watching an aft view sailing as you watch the engine wake follow behind the moving ship for miles. 
image.thumb.jpeg.eeeb31b4a2b6dbce8907f576489d1da5.jpeg

• Like 1

You can see how the aft cabins step out from this photo taken during our Panama Canal transit.

49F7DED5-4A3B-43BE-99C0-FD70577AB4E1.thumb.jpeg.ebb15820cf04e0f927061b5dea2de180.jpeg

Aft cabin on deck 8 is my preferred location.  I’ve never had a problem with noise from the Lido deck;  it only takes a few minutes to set up the chairs in the morning and take them down in the evening.  I like the covered balcony so I can sit outside in the shade.  I’ve never heard anyone talk about cigarette butts blowing overboard, there are ash trays.  I like being close to the Lido.  I like aft cabins so we can see the view on both sides of the ship and we live to watch the wake.BDD23CE2-0903-46F8-B6D7-E0B1180F08B1.thumb.jpeg.7bac30230f9f3f596c75ee10311db145.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

image.thumb.jpeg.d823914df2c3434e6fac6bfdf3d6235e.jpegThe aft cabins a standard balcony floor plan with a longer veranda. My wife rented a ScootaRound and the Stewards allowed us to charge it in the hallway so it wasn’t crowding the room but we could have kept it between wall & bed- there was enough room. From the outside we could see our fellow passengers on sailaway but rarely. The lounge chairs were moved in the morning on the deck above but otherwise never a bother. Sound proofing was remarkable as we didn’t hear any tv next door, the Coast Guard helicopter that evacuated a passenger near Honolulu. 

Elsewhere online I had seen pictures of HAL  "Vista" cabins with the bed closest to the balcony, and the sofa closer to the entry door (I like having the bed near the balcony, if the railing is clear, so as to be able to see the sea while lying down on the bed).  Is this only one some ships (and if so, which) , or do aft cabin layouts vary, e.g., alternate bed-near-balcony and bed-near-door (like on X)?

We were on deck 8 aft (cabin 8168) on the Nieuw Amsterdam in Alaska. We loved it and weren’t at all bothered by noises above or below. We thought it was perfect for viewing the sights in Alaska and wouldn’t hesitate to book again.