No mobile phone

Tablelamp

1420016532_CoralRestaurant11BookingApp3TableReady.thumb.jpg.8e9b22c7c198aa7528d0cd78afb13748.jpg

Notice it says: "Please confirm your booking. If you no longer want this table, please cancel."

O.K. So what follows? "Leave queue" and "I'm on my way"! Clear? - well, yes, to me.

BUT people who are not confident using technology will be looking for "Confirm booking - I'm on my way" and "Cancel booking", and in that order - not the reversed order above.

This is the problem I find with the I.T. kids who write this stuff - they know what they mean; other kids know what they mean; but strugglers will struggle, asking themselves:

What do they mean?

Why have they not used the words I am looking for?

Do I have to press "leave queue" as well as press "I'm on my way" because I am no longer in the queue?

If so, which one should I press first?

If I press the wrong one first will the other one disappear?

If that happens will I lose my table reservation?

If that happens what do I have to do now?

I dare not press anything now!!

This is when, as another poster said, using I.T. becomes "work", and needlessly causes doubt and confusion for some. P&O insisting that "My Holiday" is an App when it is not is another instance of "well you know what we mean."

It reminds me of the P&O site when it was trying to tell us what the rules were for travelling and boarding regarding Covid and vaccinations etc - full of ambiguities mostly through using complicated ways of saying simple things because the writer, who has all the facts, lacks the skills to write what is necessary and cannot place themselves in the position of the reader, who is trying to glean the facts from their communication.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, bbtablet said:

1420016532_CoralRestaurant11BookingApp3TableReady.thumb.jpg.8e9b22c7c198aa7528d0cd78afb13748.jpg

Notice it says: "Please confirm your booking. If you no longer want this table, please cancel."

O.K. So what follows? "Leave queue" and "I'm on my way"! Clear? - well, yes, to me.

BUT people who are not confident using technology will be looking for "Confirm booking - I'm on my way" and "Cancel booking", and in that order - not the reversed order above.

This is the problem I find with the I.T. kids who write this stuff - they know what they mean; other kids know what they mean; but strugglers will struggle, asking themselves:

What do they mean?

Do I have to press "leave queue" as well as press "I'm on my way" because I am no longer in the queue?

This is when, as another poster said, using I.T. becomes "work", and needlessly causes doubt and confusion for some. P&O insisting that "My Holiday" is an App when it is not is another instance of "well you know what we mean."

It reminds me of the P&O site when it was trying to tell us what the rules were for travelling and boarding regarding Covid and vaccinations etc - full of ambiguities mostly through using complicated ways of saying simple things because the writer, who has all the facts, lacks the skills to write what is necessary and cannot place themselves in the position of the reader, who is trying to glean the facts from their communication.

A significant number of people would think ' my table is ready so I press leave the queue then I am on my way'.

P&O only want to pay peanuts for IT people and they don't have any checking or proof reading grades. When I started work me had an entire grade of staff who's job was checking everything was correct and clear. Guess what happened when they abolished that grade to save money.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, davecttr said:

A significant number of people would think ' my table is ready so I press leave the queue then I am on my way'.

P&O only want to pay peanuts for IT people and they don't have any checking or proof reading grades. When I started work me had an entire grade of staff who's job was checking everything was correct and clear. Guess what happened when they abolished that grade to save money.

You did a better job ?

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, happy v said:

I'm sorry but 'I am on my way' could not be any clearer. I don't think anyone would not be able to understand that 

I seem to recall text saying ' clicking on my way' gives you 15 minutes to get to the restaurant.  Perfectly clear.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zap99 said:

I seem to recall text saying ' clicking on my way' gives you 15 minutes to get to the restaurant.  Perfectly clear.

It is really easy to use the app works on android and iPhone, we have both and we find one of the benefits of having a phone with us is to take those spontaneous photos.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, happy v said:

I'm sorry but 'I am on my way' could not be any clearer. I don't think anyone would not be able to understand that 

I think it could be clearer.

I would add one word to the following sentence:

If you no longer want this table, please PRESS cancel.

And then below, have CANCEL instead of LEAVE QUEUE. 

or even CANCEL TABLE.

Edited by Ardennais
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ardennais said:

I think it could be clearer.

I would add one word to the following sentence:

If you no longer want this table, please PRESS cancel.

And then below, have CANCEL instead of LEAVE QUEUE. 

or even CANCEL TABLE.

Or you could use the phrase

I will not be there I will be somewhere else

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, bbtablet said:

What do they mean?

It’s either or… I’m on my way (ie you still want the table and will arrive within fifteen minutes ) or leave queue ( I don’t want the table) 

maybe you are overthinking it

im sure once you try it you will be fine 🤞🏻

• Like 1

5 hours ago, davecttr said:

And probably everything took longer and was more expensive as a result. Times change …we evolve and learn 

4 minutes ago, janieb1962 said:

And probably everything took longer and was more expensive as a result. Times change …we evolve and learn 

and embarrassing when you are producing material for international conferences and almost all the staff have to manually change errors on printed material, that costs money.

The only thing we learn from history is we don't learn from history!

Edited by davecttr
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, davecttr said:

and embarrassing when you are producing material for international conferences and almost all the staff have to manually change errors on printed material, that costs money.

4 minutes ago, davecttr said:

To be honest .. if you press leave queue … you’ll soon learn that’s not what you wanted and next time you’ll press I’m in my way!
that said it just needs a small tweak to the wording to be explicit.. happy to confirm …just click I’m on my way 

8 hours ago, janieb1962 said:

To be honest .. if you press leave queue … you’ll soon learn that’s not what you wanted and next time you’ll press I’m in my way!
that said it just needs a small tweak to the wording to be explicit.. happy to confirm …just click I’m on my way 

How long do you reckon it will take for P&O to make that small tweak given their inability to publish accurate information on their site on which are the formal venues. Check Iona, what is the Gala Lite venue? Or Azura and Ventura where they state that the Glass House is a formal venue. I have been on the ships several times and the Glass House was evening casual on formal nights. As of yesterday there is no information for Arvia.

13 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

I am so glad we are back on Club Dining.  I don't tend to do other restaurants, so we will have no need of taking my phone into dinner with us.

Agree. Always have fixed dining so no faffing around, know what time I am eating and can plan my evening accordingly. Phone in drawer!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, janieb1962 said:

It’s either or… I’m on my way (ie you still want the table and will arrive within fifteen minutes ) or leave queue ( I don’t want the table) 

maybe you are overthinking it

im sure once you try it you will be fine 🤞🏻

It's so easy, I can't see the issue. Lots of hungry folk wandering around the ship.??.

• Like 1

I like the Princess system of booking your dining on the app before you go.  OH has medication that he has to take as near as possible to the same time each day so we book our dining times so that he is taking it at the times that we would be eating at home. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fionboard said:

Agree. Always have fixed dining so no faffing around, know what time I am eating and can plan my evening accordingly. Phone in drawer!

That is your choice and works for you. Until we get on the ship, we don't have a clue what time we want to do anything. We have a look at the planner, app or printed and decide what entertainment we want to see, or what we are doing ashore, perhaps joining up with other folks. Dinner fits in around that. Unfortunately all that weight will still go on.🤣

• Like 5

On 1/26/2023 at 11:41 AM, davecttr said:

Simple answer. can I see a printed menu please, i can't read a QR code.

Unfortunately a few passengers should wash their hands before they go to the toilet and you wipe your feet after going out of their front door. So I suppose anything that means you are not handling something that someone else has used makes sense.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

I am so glad we are back on Club Dining.  I don't tend to do other restaurants, so we will have no need of taking my phone into dinner with us.

Agree. We have only on one P&O cruise used Freedom Dining and that was on Oceana and was forced on us due to booking last minute. We prefer to dine at 8.30 p.m. that gives us time to either get back from an excursion then shower and get ready or leisurely go back to our cabin have a cuppa, then shower, get dressed whilst downing a G&T, go to a bar for a drink, then to the dining room and then at around 10.15 go to the theatre for a show.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bbtablet said:

What do they mean?

A) It depends on whose holding it for 15 minutes ? B) Not sure the wife would be too happy whoever it was.

11 hours ago, davecttr said:

How long do you reckon it will take for P&O to make that small tweak given their inability to publish accurate information on their site on which are the formal venues. Check Iona, what is the Gala Lite venue? Or Azura and Ventura where they state that the Glass House is a formal venue. I have been on the ships several times and the Glass House was evening casual on formal nights. As of yesterday there is no information for Arvia.

Fair comment .. I reported a link that wasn’t working…took them at least 4 weeks … but I guess lots of minions to get the message to the right team to action 🤣