Pont du Gard Tour from Marseille

jmmess

Looking for tour recommendations from the cruise port in Marseille to Pont du Gard. I have found a couple on Viator and Tours by Locals, but with 7 people it is adding up (more than our other port tours 🙈).

but with 7 people it is adding up (more than our other port tours 🙈).

This may be due to the long distance from Marseille to the Pont du Gard as the closest  large town (I think) is Nimes, or possibly Avignon.

If you fail to find a local tour company, or costing is too high,  you could check if an alternative way to reach it might be from either Nimes or Avignon, and take a train from Marseille to whichever works best in terms of cost and/or time, thereafter by public transport if there is an option, or by a private tour or taxi.  Also check if there is a train station closer to the bridge than Nimes or Avignon as I am not familiar with train routes through smaller towns in that area.

You could also check tripadsvisor (as an example) where reviews by others may say how they reached it, or simply google "how to get to Pont du Gard from (Nimes, Marseille, Avignon) in turn.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jmmess said:

Any suggestions for local tour companies?

Google "day trips from Marseille" or "excursions to Pont du Gard from Marseille"  or something similar.

You will come up with a variety of tour operators.  Also, sometimes the consolidators might name the local company they use for a specific tour.  Google the company directly, don't follow the link from the consolidator's website.

13 minutes ago, marazul said:

Google "day trips from Marseille" or "excursions to Pont du Gard from Marseille"  or something similar.

You will come up with a variety of tour operators.  Also, sometimes the consolidators might name the local company they use for a specific tour.  Google the company directly, don't follow the link from the consolidator's website.

I have, thank you! Just not finding what I want unfortunately. Hoping for some insights from others that have gone before. 🤗

Five years ago we couldn't find a day trip or shore excursion from Marseilles to Pont du Gard so ended up taking a tour from Avignon (Pont du Gard, Nimes and Uzes).  Took the train from Marseilles to Avignon.  The stressful part of the day was getting a taxi from the ship to the train station.  Everything else went very well.  Pont du Gard was more impressive than we had ever imagined.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Over from NZ said:

We're aiming to do this one and we'll take out one of the stops to put in the Pont Du Gard. The tour operator is happy with that. US$132 each seems reasonable. 

https://www.toursbylocals.com/PrivateGuidedTour-Avignon

That’s not too bad a rate compared to others I’ve seen. Still almost $1k for 7 of us. I found a transfer company that will go for 80 Euros per hour with a 7 passenger van, so likely will go that route.

Call be adventurous, but we would simply rent a van and drive ourselves.  Total cost should be under $200 and driving in France is not overly difficult.  Pond du Gard is actually a good place for DIY since they have a fine visitor center and plenty of information in all languages.

Hank