Plymouth

emam

7 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Excellent news, perhaps, for our many friends in the beautiful south west.

Hull has just revived its plans for a cruise terminal too. If that comes off too, a lot of those long journeys to Southampton could become unnecessary.

That's great news as a year back they were scrapping the idea ,lets hope they do the same with Doncaster airport as well .

Edited by kalos

6 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Excellent news, perhaps, for our many friends in the beautiful south west.

Hull has just revived its plans for a cruise terminal too. If that comes off too, a lot of those long journeys to Southampton could become unnecessary.

Although I doubt P&O will use any port other than Southampton as a turnaround base. Plymouth and Hull however could make interesting ports of call on a round-Britain itinerary.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kalos said:

That's great news as a year back they were scrapping the idea ,lets hope they do the same with Doncaster airport as well .

I second that!!!! Would be wonderful to cruise from Hull and get Doncaster airport back as well.

• Like 2

I really don't think the plans for Hull will come to fruition; the suggested site is in the wrong location and there is a lot of opposition locally.

Also, the plans are for a pontoon rather than a quay, and they don't show a terminal that would support the kind of immigration and customs activities as Southampton or other ports do. Therefore, if it comes off, it would probably only be suitable for visits rather than a starting or ending point for a cruise.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TigerB said:

I really don't think the plans for Hull will come to fruition; the suggested site is in the wrong location and there is a lot of opposition locally.

Also, the plans are for a pontoon rather than a quay, and they don't show a terminal that would support the kind of immigration and customs activities as Southampton or other ports do. Therefore, if it comes off, it would probably only be suitable for visits rather than a starting or ending point for a cruise.

Wasn’t the opposite mainly to the original site proposed, near The Deep?

• Like 1

We would love P&O to use the Port of Tyne. Azura was docked here during the pandemic. Fred and Marella both sail from “Newcastle” and there are plenty of cruisers from the North of England and Scotland who would welcome P&O. We do get plenty of ships making port calls. Holland America, Disney, Silversea and Cunard are among them. Unfortunately none of them use the port for departures. 

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Wasn’t the opposite mainly to the original site proposed, near The Deep?

Yes, it was; I think it was chosen because it is closest to the city centre and the museums. It is still the favoured site but the recently elected Lib Dem council are reviewing it. The main opposition appears to be from the nearby residents of Victoria Dock, the housing estate next to it.

The second choice was Albert Dock, but it is still an industrial area and needs development for it to be suitable for folk to walk safely into town.

Personally, I think the existing King George Dock would be the most suitable location and would cost less to develop; North Sea Ferries still run from there, and it has the customs and immigration infrastructure, which would make a suitable start and end point.  It's about three miles from the city centre though, so would need shuttle buses.

Then again, what do I know?🤔😉

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, sandancer said:

We would love P&O to use the Port of Tyne. Azura was docked here during the pandemic. Fred and Marella both sail from “Newcastle” and there are plenty of cruisers from the North of England and Scotland who would welcome P&O. We do get plenty of ships making port calls. Holland America, Disney, Silversea and Cunard are among them. Unfortunately none of them use the port for departures. 

We sail from Newcastle whenever we can, a lot less hassle than trailing down tomSouthampton. There are lots of Scots who would happily use it. I don’t know why none of the bigger lines have not tapped into the market in Scotland and the North of England given the level of competition for passengers.

Disney used it as a departure port during the early days of start up after the pandemic so it is possible for the port to deal with bigger vessels as an embarkation point.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, sandancer said:

I thought Marella only did a small number of cruises ex Newcastle two or three years ago and then reverted to fly-cruise only again.

Ambassador Cruiseline are doing a few ex-Newcastle this year, as well as some from Dundee, Belfast, Liverpool, Bristol and Falmouth.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

I thought Marella only did a small number of cruises ex Newcastle two or three years ago and then reverted to fly-cruise only again.

Ambassador Cruiseline are doing a few ex-Newcastle this year, as well as some from Dundee, Belfast, Liverpool, Bristol and Falmouth.

Marella had a ship based at Newcastle for several years but have decided there will be no more UK based sailings. I believe they can make more money with fly cruises to hot places. They may change their mind as they did stop UK sailings some years ago and started again after a couple of years.

As I don't want to fly any more no more Marella for me. I have yet to cancel two expensive 14 nighters for this year. I should really look at other ex UK sailings, apparently MSC can offer some bargains for solo cruisers.

• Like 2