Covid test for cruising (again)

sandancer

Just had an email from P&O saying that we have to test ourselves 3 days before our cruise on Arvia in March and are required to show proof when boarding. I wasn’t expecting that. I thought we were done with covid testing for cruising. Especially as we are fully vaccinated. 
So what happens if you test positive?  Will P&O issue FCCs? Or is that all done and dusted now. 

40 minutes ago, sandancer said:

Just had an email from P&O saying that we have to test ourselves 3 days before our cruise on Arvia in March and are required to show proof when boarding. I wasn’t expecting that. I thought we were done with covid testing for cruising. Especially as we are fully vaccinated. 
So what happens if you test positive?  Will P&O issue FCCs? Or is that all done and dusted now. 

Crickey. That's a curved ball. Where are you flying into Antigua or Barbados?  I'd check your insurance.  If you're positive you will be able to claim.  I'd suggest an observed test might be needed for that but give them a call.  Is it the 22 night one?

Tests seem hard to come by observed.

Edited by Megabear2

42 minutes ago, sandancer said:

Are you sure it doesn’t say recommend?

Looks like P&O have made a recent change to their website and policy.

https://www.pocruises.com/cruise-with-confidence/vaccination-and-testing-policy

Firstly, they have Confirmed that vaccinations are no longer required for the majority of cruises.

"From 1 March 2023, the majority of our holidays no longer require guests to be vaccinated"

This used to say "it is our intention that cruises from 1 March onwards will not require guests to be vaccinated unless there are specific country or voyage requirements in place at the time of sailing."

Secondly, they have clarified the 'additional requirements' cruises. The following require vaccination and a test

K305C, K305D, K306, K306A and N306

The first four are on Arvia, with K306A ending the Caribbean season back in Southampton. The last is Ventura's 35 nights on 2nd March. 

There is another set of requirements for J301, this is Arcadia's World Cruise, which has already sailed, and is presumably irrelevant now. 

Finally, P&O have said "Please note, we have only confirmed holidays with additional vaccine and testing requirements departing up to 31 July 2023 at this stage." Which suggest there is no more cruises with additional requirements to be added before 31 July / at all. 

So to summarise, I think P&O are saying.  No more vaccinations needed and no more tests from 1st March 2023 except a few Arvia cruises until her return to Southampton on 2nd April and Ventura's upcoming 35 night cruise. 

Edit:  I further note that when going to https://www.pocruises.com/ directly, there is now a banner at the top of the page drawing attention to "COVID-19 vaccination and testing is no longer required for the majority of our holidays." This says to me, P&O have changed their policy to no more vaccinations/testing from now on apart from a few exceptions in March/April

Edited by NavyPanda

Testing policy for additional requirements cruises:

All guests aged five years and over must take a self-administered COVID-19 lateral flow/antigen test in the three days before, or on the day of your ship’s departure. Over the counter COVID-19 tests will be accepted.

Guests are required to take a photo which shows, all together, the negative result, a government issued photo ID (such as a driver’s licence), a clock displaying the time (a watch, mobile phone or wall clock, for example) and the date of testing (this can be written on a piece of paper). Please ensure you have this photo with you as you may be asked to show it at the terminal.

In other words, the free NHS tests (if you have any left) or £2 tests from Boots are acceptable. Just take a photograph with passport, clock and date written on a piece of paper. The wording 'may be asked to show (proof)' at the terminal probably means they'll just be asking whether you took a test or not, Yes/No. 

20 minutes ago, NavyPanda said:

Testing policy for additional requirements cruises:

All guests aged five years and over must take a self-administered COVID-19 lateral flow/antigen test in the three days before, or on the day of your ship’s departure. Over the counter COVID-19 tests will be accepted.

Guests are required to take a photo which shows, all together, the negative result, a government issued photo ID (such as a driver’s licence), a clock displaying the time (a watch, mobile phone or wall clock, for example) and the date of testing (this can be written on a piece of paper). Please ensure you have this photo with you as you may be asked to show it at the terminal.

In other words, the free NHS tests (if you have any left) or £2 tests from Boots are acceptable. Just take a photograph with passport, clock and date written on a piece of paper. The wording 'may be asked to show (proof)' at the terminal probably means they'll just be asking whether you took a test or not, Yes/No. 

Be very careful with your insurer.  Check they will accept P&OS definition of a test - yes I know its valid but God forbid your asymptomatic and your insurer wants a confirmation test which is observed.  

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, NavyPanda said:

Secondly, they have clarified the 'additional requirements' cruises. The following require vaccination and a test

The first four are on Arvia, with K306A ending the Caribbean season back in Southampton. The last is Ventura's 35 nights on 2nd March. 

The first two are flying into Antigua, which is probably because that island has stricter Covid protocols, rather than length of the cruise, as the first is for 7 nights and the second is for 22 nights.

I'm not sure why the third and fourth are included as they are flying into Barbados, where I think Covid protocols have been relaxed.

We're booked on K405D, flying into Antigua; so, if things don't get better by then, we could be in the same situation.

47 minutes ago, NavyPanda said:

So you could fake it. Very easily by the sounds of it? So what the hell is the point?

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, NavyPanda said:

Looks like P&O have made a recent change to their website and policy.

https://www.pocruises.com/cruise-with-confidence/vaccination-and-testing-policy

Firstly, they have Confirmed that vaccinations are no longer required for the majority of cruises.

"From 1 March 2023, the majority of our holidays no longer require guests to be vaccinated"

There is another set of requirements for J301, this is Arcadia's World Cruise, which has already sailed, and is presumably irrelevant now. 

mine is not listed ?  i fly into Barbados on the 03/03/23 sailing k305, maybe not required for Barbados then, but will keep checking. 

All the cruises except K305C involve transatlantic crossings where, if someone went downhill, it would take a long time to get them land based help.

I don’t know for sure but suggest the other cruise is included to try and minimise the risk of Covid being brought to the ship one week before said transatlantic cruise.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, molecrochip said:

All the cruises except K305C involve transatlantic crossings where, if someone went downhill, it would take a long time to get them land based help.

I don’t know for sure but suggest the other cruise is included to try and minimise the risk of Covid being brought to the ship one week before said transatlantic cruise.

And there I was thinking it was to protect the VIP guests!

21 minutes ago, TigerB said:

The first two are flying into Antigua, which is probably because that island has stricter Covid protocols, rather than length of the cruise, as the first is for 7 nights and the second is for 22 nights.

We holidayed in Antigua a few months back. As far as I'm aware there are no restrictions anywhere so this is interesting but slightly concerning. The FCO site specifically mentions cruise ships and simply says Passengers arriving by cruise liner are subject to the protocols placed on board by their cruise company. We flew in for two weeks of a land based holiday and everything was back to normal. 

Nothing new has popped up on Antigua Tripadvisor forum either that I can see and they would be bang on it. 

This is all very odd. 

24 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

That would make sense I guess. 

1 hour ago, molecrochip said:

If that's the case, why wasn't K301a included?

And K305C is just seven nights; or is that one included because folk on it will be mixing with those crossing the Atlantic?

4 hours ago, sandancer said:

Which cruise are you on?  Requirements vary by destination/itinerary/duration.

if you are denied boarding due to COVID, P&O will direct you to your insurers!

6 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Be very careful with your insurer.  Check they will accept P&OS definition of a test - yes I know its valid but God forbid your asymptomatic and your insurer wants a confirmation test which is observed.  

People who have one of two options in the case of a positive result, seeing as you can test three days beforehand. Either acquire a PCR or other test acceptable for the travel insurer, or ensure the next test is negative if they still wish to cruise. 

5 hours ago, TigerB said:

If that's the case, why wasn't K301a included?

And K305C is just seven nights; or is that one included because folk on it will be mixing with those crossing the Atlantic?

Not sure, but am lead to believe it cruises with 6 consecutive sea days.

• Thanks 1