Alaska on Millennium, Solstice or Eclipse?

harbourxie

2 hours ago, cw2go said:

The Millie goes North and South Bound so this gives you great port times! IMO that's the top priority.

This!  This was the deciding factor for us when we booked the Millie for a Southbound cruise last August.  The two secondary considerations which also leaned towards the Millie was that she was Revolutionized and that she was smaller (2k vs 3k).   On the flip side, it was more of a logistical pain around flights/hotels/etc...but to us it was well worth it. Felt like we got to see a lot more of Alaska (i.e. a slightly thicker, tiny sliver of what there is to see).

• Like 2

I haven't checked to determine if there have been any significant itinerary changes for the routes of these ships.  Even though we live in Alaska we do Alaska cruises, and have been on all three of these ships on Alaska itineraries.  

My preference if the north- or southbound Millennium routes; we do these as B2Bs.  My second rank is the Eclipse RT out of Vancouver.  RTs out of Seattle are my lowest ranked.  But one factor to consider is the amount of time in the ports.

We always have premium wi-fi.  I have not noticed any signifiant differences in internet connection, but also haven't been working either.  

11 hours ago, neverlaysup said:

Depends on if you want to leave from Seattle or Vancouver, both ships are somewhat identical.

Millie is out of Seward or Vancouver doing N/S Bound not all three sailings are equal. 

I booked Millennium this summer for our Alaskan cruise because I liked the times in port better than the Eclipse. We are northbound from Vancouver on July 7. I considered several ships from different lines, several routes, and this just stood out in all ways. The Millennium is an amazing ship from the sound of it all. 

Edited by njsmom

45 minutes ago, maggieq said:

How about in may and no glacier bay. Should we look at another line to do this cruise as it would be our first Alaska cruise 

I debated that part, too, as this is my first Alaskan cruise that's an overnight, but not my first trip to Alaska. I did a one-day daytime cruise to College Fjord out of Whittier in 1999 on a three-week land trip to Alaska. I decided I was okay without seeing Glacier Bay on my first "real" cruise because even College Fjord was breathtaking and amazing, and there's just so much beauty everywhere in Alaska that it's not as if I'd be disappointed in what I'd see. If anything, it will just spur me to go back and see more the next time and be sure of a return visit. 

Edited by njsmom

1 hour ago, maggieq said:

How about in may and no glacier bay. Should we look at another line to do this cruise as it would be our first Alaska cruise 

I've sailed GB with Princess and have sailed multiple times with Celebrity in Alaska. Both are fantastic! For me GB is not a deal breaker but many will disagree. I focus on tours in the ports that are on my must have list so the itinerary and ports times are most important to me. 

Patty 

• Like 1

Face it.  With minor variations, the ports are almost identical.  For me it boils down to the willingness for the (1)  expense/time/opportunities (Anchorage) of a North-South (2) expense/opportunities of Vancouver (3) ease/offerings of Seattle.

19 hours ago, harbourxie said:

A related question - anyone knows which ship/route has the best internet connection? I am thinking of working from the cruise for at least a couple of days during the trip. Thanks, 

Makes no difference but you can block out the entire day that you're going into and out of Skagway due to the mountain ranges. There is zero internet the entire day. If you want to download something on the phone you might find a shop/hotel/restaurant that has Wifi, or walk to the public library and get it done there.

1 hour ago, jwlane said:

Face it.  With minor variations, the ports are almost identical.  For me it boils down to the willingness for the (1)  expense/time/opportunities (Anchorage) of a North-South (2) expense/opportunities of Vancouver (3) ease/offerings of Seattle.

I agree that the nothing beats the convenience from Seattle for working parents with young kids who would like to see Alaska without too much extra work. Thanks for all the inputs. I am booking the Solstice this summer. 

The only problem for me now is that the 6/30 sailing is so popular and no many veranda rooms left (all guarantee category X now). I will have to book it or spend more to upgrade...

23 minutes ago, montythecat said:

Millennium. Revolutionized, which does make a difference. Two of

our 27 cruises have been on Millie and they were two of the best

with truly memorable experiences both times.

My first choice would be Millennium as well if time and money are no issues....

• Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 10:40 AM, Whinenowine said:

This!  This was the deciding factor for us when we booked the Millie for a Southbound cruise last August.  The two secondary considerations which also leaned towards the Millie was that she was Revolutionized and that she was smaller (2k vs 3k).   On the flip side, it was more of a logistical pain around flights/hotels/etc...but to us it was well worth it. Felt like we got to see a lot more of Alaska (i.e. a slightly thicker, tiny sliver of what there is to see).

We did the Southbound last June. Their were 4 of us. I rented a car and stopped at Alyeska Resort Aerial Tramway on our way to Seward. The next day we did a excursion out of Seward to see whales, glacier and wildlife. Our hotel was near Alaska SeaLife Center. After breakfast on the morning of the cruise we went to Alaska SeaLife Center . Then took the free bus outside the center to the cruise terminal. We tip the driver because of luggage. Sunset in Alaska.

1137750809_Image2022-06-08.thumb.jpeg.21930ac05ee16e80fc1060251f277a92.jpeg

Edited by bigbenboys
spelling
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, harbourxie said:

I agree that the nothing beats the convenience from Seattle for working parents with young kids who would like to see Alaska without too much extra work. Thanks for all the inputs. I am booking the Solstice this summer. 

The only problem for me now is that the 6/30 sailing is so popular and no many veranda rooms left (all guarantee category X now). I will have to book it or spend more to upgrade...

Before you finalize your plans, may I suggest you post this on the Alaska boards. Port times are of major importance in Alaska. 

I am not sure of your plans with young kids but just as an example. In Juneau on a r/t sailing you will not be able to do a Tracy Arm Fjord tour out of Juneau as you would with a one way sailing. Timing issues. 

So although you hit the same ports, the hours in port can make or break a very pricey vacation/experience. In addition with r/t you end up with a lot more sea time, that could be great or a complete bust. Only you know what you want out of Alaska. Maybe prioritize what you want to see and do in each port so that will help you decide which itinerary meets your needs. 

Hoping to help, 

Patty