Windstar Caribbean ports of call

ISLANDS LOVER

Haven't cruised since 2018 (indonesia by Star Clippers) and first timers on Windstar

Still matching which Caribbean route to choose by the end of March and we would like to know how the excursions and freedom to move around in the ports works with Windstar.

Example, there is a route that includes 2 days 4 stops in Sta. Lucia

Day 2 PIGEON Sta Lucia

Day 3 PIGEON Sta Lucia
Day 3 CASTRIES Sta Lucia
Day 3 PITONS Sta Lucia

Is it possible to desembark in Pigeon the day 2 or 3, go by our selves and meet back to the ship in Pitons?

There are some excursions/activities which we really MUST DO at any of the following stops (allow me to put two different routes)

First time in the Caribbean too☺️, thank you!!

WINDSTAR JEWELS OF THE WINDWARD

Day 1 BRIDGETOWN Barbados
Day 2 PIGEON Sta Lucia
Day 3 PIGEON Sta Lucia
Day 3 CASTRIES Sta Lucia
Day 3 PITONS Sta Lucia
Day 4 ANSE MITAN (Martinique)
Day 5 MAYREAU Grenadines (?)
Day 6 ST. GEORGES Grenada
Day 7 BEQUIA Grenadines (?)
Day 8 BRIDGETOWN 

WINDSTAR YACHTSMANS 
Day 1 St MAARTEN
Day 2 FALMOUTH HARBOUR Antigua
Day 3 navigation
Day 4 SOPER’S HOLE Tortola
Day 4 JOST VAN DYKE
Day 5 JOST VAN DYKE
Day 5 VIRGIN GORDA
Day 6 VIRGIN GORDA
Day 7 GUSTAVA St. Barts
Day 8 St MAARTEN 

Done both.  Both are great.  Why not book both weeks.  If you have to make a choice, air fare and connections might be a factor.  I have done WS round trip from both St. Martin and Barbados.  That was before pandemic when there were lots of good choices for air.  Now, air is a different story.  

I have done both as well. I am a bit  prejudice I love the BVIs because my Caribbean sails on the Surf are my vacations and for me it is beaches. I love Jost and White Bay and the conk  fritters at Gertrude's, a fabulous beach bar/ restaurant/ beach, Prickly Pear on Virgin Gorda  the small sound across from from Bitter End Yacht Club is a fabulous place for the beach picnic, Sopers Hole is wonderful. I love Antigua great beaches but WS has not been going there due to ocean swells  so it has been better going to Basseterre St. Kitts, beautiful vistas and beaches. St. Barts my least favorite but a nice town and marina to walk around and Shell Beach is walkable but you need reef shoes. Pigeon Island, St. Lucia is another nice beach picnic spot but Prickly Pear is better, the Pitons is a sail by not a stop. Very beautiful. Castries is the stop as well in St. Lucia, lovely spice market. Mayreau all beach. Bequia has a nice small town, beaches you take a cab to and a cute wooden boat building/ history tiny museum. Very pretty island. St. George's Granada another terrific spice market. 

Agree with Redtravel do both 7 days flies by, 14 great. Happy Sailing

Thank you so much to both of you!!

Redtravel it would be great if I was able to sail for the two weeks! better used flights too! but unfortunatelly I can only take 2 weekends at maximum and 2 weeks sailing means 3 weekends out from business due to the saturday departures and flight back to Europe. It is great however to know from the experts that both are nice routes!

Flights are playing the balance too. From our city we need always one transfer and we are following prices at KLM and/or Air France as well as the departure dates on 4th JEWELLS or 18th (that feet better our dates) YACHTSMANS because now the Jewells is only available on 4th. 

Strenz thanks so much! your explanations should be published at the Windstar Brochures! you have flight to me to these lovely places!

I can see I made an stupid quiestion for my ignorance, as the Pitons is only a panoramic sailing, but, what about is the freedom at the stops if I want to try Prickly Pear instead or go back to the ship in Castries? would it be possible?

I agree with you that my vacations means beaches too, so also declined for the BVIs also because of best dates for us, the only sidedown would be that never having been in the Caribbean islands we are probably loosing the most famous islands, but.... maybe we can make a second try next year with 14 days sailing.

With regards to the departure/arrival ports possibilities, we can take 3 or 4 days pre and post cruise. Is there any recommendation in St Marteen and/or Barbados? maybe a nearby island that was worth for a short flight?

Nice beaches also and freedom to go around for local good restaurants some shoppings, etc would be perfect to relax and complete the trip. Suggestions very welcome!

Thank you again for your great messages!

Island Lover: As a former teacher no question is ever stupid. Castries is St. Lucia, Pigeon Island  is St. Lucia   I have   never gone from one place to the other, on a map it looks like a large distance and roads on the Caribbean Islands are not fast. I think Pigeon Island is pretty but not worth spending a good part of the day getting to. Prickly Pear is in the BVIs quite a distance away. Get a good map for yourself gives you the perspective of distances. Gratefully, we have traveled and vacationed on WS Cruises, first  thing I go to  to is a good map, it shows the gestalt of where you are going. Being a foodie, the only time I was in Castries I went to the Chocolate  Hotel and  learned how to make chocolate it was fun. Barbados is lovely: sounds touristy but the cave tour great.  Acura Beach Hotel nice, great beach,  walk to town lovely restaurants, we love the restaurant Champers because food great, directly on  the water and a terrific art gallery. Love the hotel The  Crane, now a Hilton, problem with it is not near a town if that is important to you, beautiful setting great pools and a beautiful beach, great to relax and enjoy. Hilton near Bridgetown, we love waking up in the morning of the trip and seeing the Surf's masts, good beach and pools. St. Martin we simply go to the Divi close to the town, in Covid  times literally everything is outside, great pools, beach and restaurants. We love Spain and Barcelona, once we got on the Surf in Barcelona and sailed the Spanish coast, glorious. Enjoy your trip ask away. One would think Boston to the Caribbean, very few direct flights and they are at miserable times. Happy Sailing

10 hours ago, Strenz said:

outside

Thank you so much Strenz you are very kind and helpful!

Sorry for my ignorance, I have now looked just at the google maps and found the “PricklyPear” whch is close to Antigua! 

Well noted all the mentioned places and looking for them trying to decide our best route with Windstar.

Glad to know that you enjoyed your visit to Barcelona sailing around the Spanish coast! 

Happy travels! & sailings! 

Sorry for my ignorance, I have now looked just at the google maps and found the “PricklyPear” whch is close to Antigua! 

Islands Lover,  there is also a Prickly Pear Island in BVI when you do a search on Google Maps.  It's right next to Moskito, Necker and Eustatia Islands north of Virgin Gorda.  Very nice BBQ area and beach

WS goes to the Prickly Pear Island off Virgin Gorda across from Bitter End  Yacht Club, lovely beach great beach picnic location. WS is back to going there now after a few years  because it was seriously damaged from the hurricane pre Covid. I mentioned in my previous statement it was in the BVIs. I hate to sound old fashioned but a good paper map of a region is far better and gives a far better gestalt of a region  than a Google Map. We are so happy WS is back to Prickly Pear. Happy Sailing

Thank you very much Misty Morning I have now found the Prickly Pear which was telling about Strenz and all the references around! I really have no idea of the Caribbean islands, so all the informations are really helpful and making a good guide for me.

Yes Strenz you are right! I have already bought online some guides and maps but meantime the google maps is the only one I have by hand. Not at all old fashioned! I can understand much better over paper! but clearly I have no idea of this area! 

Many thanks for your help and great information

I'll be back looking for more details!