Canada Customs?

TabithaK

We are doing a cruise out of Boston ending in Montreal. At what point do we have to clear Canada Customs? Do they have pre clearance in Boston or do we go through at the first Canadian port of call?

Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks.

5 hours ago, TabithaK said:

We are doing a cruise out of Boston ending in Montreal. At what point do we have to clear Canada Customs? Do they have pre clearance in Boston or do we go through at the first Canadian port of call?

Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks.

2 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

You will clear immigration and customs in Montreal.

You have to be cleared by CBSA for immigration purposes in your first Canadian port of call . Unless there's an issue such as a criminal conviction that would prevent you from landing in Canada you likely won't even see a CBSA agent and won't even know you were cleared, but regardless you have to be cleared in the first Canadian port.

Customs clearance would normally be at disembarkation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, njhorseman said:

You have to be cleared by CBSA for immigration purposes in your first Canadian port of call. Unless there's an issue such as a criminal conviction that would prevent you from landing in Canada you likely won't even see a CBSA agent and won't even know you were cleared * * *

Canada is notorious for denying entry to persons convicted anywhere of operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated. At what point does CBSA make this, or other criminal, inquiry? Does CBSA rely exclusively on the manifest provided by the carrier and to computer database matching?

11 minutes ago, GTJ said:

Canada is notorious for denying entry to persons convicted anywhere of operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated. At what point does CBSA make this, or other criminal, inquiry? Does CBSA rely exclusively on the manifest provided by the carrier and to computer database matching?

The process starts with CBSA receiving the final passenger manifest for the cruise. They have access to the NCIC database and will match the manifest against NCIC .

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

The process starts with CBSA receiving the final passenger manifest for the cruise. They have access to the NCIC database and will match the manifest against NCIC .

Is driving while intoxicated recorded in the NCIC? (I don't know: I neither drive nor drink.)

10 minutes ago, GTJ said:

Is driving while intoxicated recorded in the NCIC? (I don't know: I neither drive nor drink.)

If the state reports it to NCIC it  is. My understanding is that DUI reporting isn't consistent, if for no other reason that state laws vary in defining how serious the offense is considered. In some states DUI can be just a traffic violation, not a misdemeanor or felony. 

• Like 1