Spectrum of the Seas

We are looking at Asian itineraries on Spectrum of the Seas from Singapore early 2024. We like the itineraries but have been put off by the avalanche of negative reviews that this ship has attracted. The ship stays in Asia and mostly cruises from Singapore, Hong Kong or Tokyo which naturally attracts a high percentage of Asians. It was the first ship back cruising in Asia after the pandemic and started with four nite cruises to nowhere exclusively for Singaporeans. We are Diamond on RCCL and have done many cruises from overseas ports including Asia. My concern is that Spectrum is a Quantum class ship but the deck plan is vastly different from Ovation OS and Quantum OS which many Australians would be familiar with. The ship is relatively new but the layout seems to be designed exclusively for the Asian market. Common complaints include long ques at every food venue whether booked or not and favourable treatment for Gold and Silver class suite guests  who have their own dining room and bar. Not sure where Diamond class and it's perks fits in to this system. Apparently theatre seats need to be reserved as do gym sessions and many other on board activities. Apparently most of these slots are full from embarkation. I am now a bit concerned about having to spend an entire cruise surrounded by bad mannered people talking over the music, stampeding at the buffet, coughing all over me and spitting on the floor as well as smoking everywhere they shouldn't be.

Has anyone had previous experience cruising on Spectrum in Asia?

We made the mistake to go on a cruise on a ship based in SIN.

Big mistake.

It was such nonsense that we SERIOUSLY considered jumping ship in Bali.

Horrible, (sorry, but) low class Asians. Shouting, smoking, spitting.

Throwing all sort of matter in the toilets, causing blockages. 

Terrible food. So much so that the waiter one night told us "sorry, i dont know what that is" as he dilverred our food.

(Wasnt on RC)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NeilonBoard said:

We are looking at Asian itineraries on Spectrum of the Seas from Singapore early 2024. We like the itineraries but have been put off by the avalanche of negative reviews that this ship has attracted. The ship stays in Asia and mostly cruises from Singapore, Hong Kong or Tokyo which naturally attracts a high percentage of Asians. It was the first ship back cruising in Asia after the pandemic and started with four nite cruises to nowhere exclusively for Singaporeans. We are Diamond on RCCL and have done many cruises from overseas ports including Asia. My concern is that Spectrum is a Quantum class ship but the deck plan is vastly different from Ovation OS and Quantum OS which many Australians would be familiar with. The ship is relatively new but the layout seems to be designed exclusively for the Asian market. Common complaints include long ques at every food venue whether booked or not and favourable treatment for Gold and Silver class suite guests  who have their own dining room and bar. Not sure where Diamond class and it's perks fits in to this system. Apparently theatre seats need to be reserved as do gym sessions and many other on board activities. Apparently most of these slots are full from embarkation. I am now a bit concerned about having to spend an entire cruise surrounded by bad mannered people talking over the music, stampeding at the buffet, coughing all over me and spitting on the floor as well as smoking everywhere they shouldn't be.

Has anyone had previous experience cruising on Spectrum in Asia?

Culturely enriching I believe is the term.

Singapore people are OK ,it’s the Chinese that can be a bit uncouth.

As diamond you should get access to the suite area and that is the entire solarium.

Bar ,restaurant and pool.  A private area away from the great unwashed.

But you are going to Asia for a Asian experience, don’t forget that.

I went on Spectrum in August. I did not witness any of that behaviour that you mention. I've been on other Royal cruises from Singapore and I always enjoy them - I do not miss drunken Aussies 'making the most' of their drink packages. Singaporeans love to have fun and do tend to travel in large family groups. Perhaps now there will be groups from China onboard too. The food is slightly different but there is still plenty to eat, including Western options.

I did miss not having a Cafe Promenade for a snack whenever it was needed.

I am Diamond but I was not permitted access to the Suite area in the Solarium or the Solarium dining. They are strict about that. However, I was allowed to use the lounge area adjacent to the Solarium and that was a pleasant place for a pre dinner drink.

• Like 1

Worst experience I've ever witnessed of any group travelling was on the Majestic Princess NYE Criuise to NZ December 2019. They had a seafood day in the buffet. I've never seen so many pigs in the trough. The food wastage of the stuff they didn't eat. People just piling up their plates it was disgusting. We never stood a chance of getting any as so many greedy people. There was a mixture of nationalities on board including a lot of Asians and a variety of  trough participants from different countries. I wonder if it was because seafood is expensive in some countries that they had to go all out.

Edited by icat2000
  • Like 1

To some extent I think that part of the issue might be cultural differences and what is and is not considered culturally acceptable.  In my experience, every race / nationality has a bogan element.  As timtam2 says, Aussies are certainly not always well behaved when overseas.  I've personally been in a situation where the behaviour and attitude of my fellow Australians has left me cringing with embarrassment.  Hello, Bali & Thailand!  I've also been in situations where I've been physically pushed aside by a person of Asian appearance to check out the sales on a ship and even at the buffet - like they're gonna run out of food????   I've also been ignored or leered at in Arabic countries - this was one of the very few times I felt unsafe on a shore excursion.   I think it's all part of the rich tapestry of travel and experiencing different cultures globally.  

Notwithstanding the above, we did a wonderful Quantum of the Seas 4 day cruise out of Singapore and thoroughly enjoyed every moment of it.  While 4 days was far too short, I would highly recommend the experience.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, icat2000 said:

Worst experience I've ever witnessed of any group travelling was on the Majestic Princess NYE Criuise to NZ December 2019. They had a seafood day in the buffet. I've never seen so many pigs in the trough. The food wastage of the stuff they didn't eat. People just piling up their plates it was disgusting. We never stood a chance of getting any as so many greedy people. There was a mixture of nationalities on board including a lot of Asians and a variety of  trough participants from different countries. I wonder if it was because seafood is expensive in some countries that they had to go all out.

You should see the locals in Hong Kong attack the hotel seafood buffets. I almost lost an arm in the melee.  Like a rugby scrum. Cruise ship buffet would be no different in some regions.

Edited by NSWP

4 minutes ago, Bubbeh said:

I've also been ignored or leered at in Arabic countries - this was one of the very few times I felt unsafe on a shore excursion.   I think it's all part of the rich tapestry of travel and experiencing different cultures globally.  

I can relate to this. In my solo days of travelling I did three months travelling though Middle East and Sudan, Ethiopia. I love Egypt been there 4 times and I wanna go back. I remember we were swimming in the Red Sea and looked up towards on the shore and up on the hill there was a row of men peering down on us. 

Had some interesting experiences in India too. But again I loved all my times there. Been there twice now, want to go back. The only place I ever felt unsafe or shadows lurking was in Lebanon. But they had just bombed the Prime MInisters offices a few weeks prior. So many some tension in the air,

• Like 1

7 hours ago, icat2000 said:

I can relate to this. In my solo days of travelling I did three months travelling though Middle East and Sudan, Ethiopia. I love Egypt been there 4 times and I wanna go back. I remember we were swimming in the Red Sea and looked up towards on the shore and up on the hill there was a row of men peering down on us. 

Had some interesting experiences in India too. But again I loved all my times there. Been there twice now, want to go back. The only place I ever felt unsafe or shadows lurking was in Lebanon. But they had just bombed the Prime MInisters offices a few weeks prior. So many some tension in the air,

I have enjoyed reading these bogan issues.   Just before Covid we did a land tour of the Golden Triangle in India.   We were the oldest, as usually cruisers nowadays!   All Aussies about 40 ish,   We had to stop at English Beer and Wine shops.   At first I cringed as they all went in with the eskies to fill with beer, but in the end I went  in and bought a bottle of wine to join in.   These people were lovely to us 70 odd year olds and helped me to get me shoes back on when we had to take them off to enter religious places.

like my son they were a bit boganish but kindly to us oldies🥳👵

Eileen

• Like 1

On 1/28/2023 at 5:15 PM, timtam2 said:

I went on Spectrum in August. I did not witness any of that behaviour that you mention. I've been on other Royal cruises from Singapore and I always enjoy them - I do not miss drunken Aussies 'making the most' of their drink packages. Singaporeans love to have fun and do tend to travel in large family groups. Perhaps now there will be groups from China onboard too. The food is slightly different but there is still plenty to eat, including Western options.

I did miss not having a Cafe Promenade for a snack whenever it was needed.

I am Diamond but I was not permitted access to the Suite area in the Solarium or the Solarium dining. They are strict about that. However, I was allowed to use the lounge area adjacent to the Solarium and that was a pleasant place for a pre dinner drink.

There does not appear to be a Diamond Lounge on Spectrum. Was the lounge area adjacent to the Solarium exclusively for Diamond passengers? Were your Diamond perks (ie: 5 free drink vouchers) honoured throughout the ship? I have also had many enjoyable cruises out of Singapore with people of all nationalities but the setup on Spectrum seems to be heavily geared for the local Asian market.

No, it wasn't a Diamond lounge as such. It was part of the area for Suite passengers. I had gone up to the Solarium area for a stickybeak and I spoke to the Concierge there. I mentioned I was Diamond and he gave me a quick tour and said I was welcome to use the lounge area . I was able to use my drink vouchers there and anywhere else on the ship with no problem at all

• Like 1