Power Outlets Available onboard Splendor Staterooms in Australia

plettza

I've never sailed on Splendor before but have sailed Spirit and Legend when they were in Australia.  These ships' staterooms had one Australian AS/NZS 3112 three-prong outlet.  Sailing on Ovation of the Seas in October, we found the staterooms (at least ours) had a US socket as well as a European outlet which I thought was handy although I didn't bring a Euro to AUS adapter.

Does Splendor only have one available Australian socket or is there a second one available such as US or European?  I want to make use of a second outlet if there's one available.

Edited by plettza

We did an Alaskan cruise on Splendor this past August. I usually bring a European adapter to have an extra plug or 2 when sailing on "older" ships. However I was not able to use mine on Splendor as there was a different plug configuration. I asked our room steward about it, he informed me the plug was an Australian plug setup for when Splendor returned to Australia. Sorry, I don't know the plug specs, just going from what our steward told us.

6 hours ago, bar1068 said:

We did an Alaskan cruise on Splendor this past August. I usually bring a European adapter to have an extra plug or 2 when sailing on "older" ships. However I was not able to use mine on Splendor as there was a different plug configuration. I asked our room steward about it, he informed me the plug was an Australian plug setup for when Splendor returned to Australia. Sorry, I don't know the plug specs, just going from what our steward told us.

I'm guessing it might be the same as Spirit.  We sailed on Spirit on her second cruise after the restart, if my memory is correct there was one US 120 VAC outlet and one Australian outlet (3 prong 230 Volt).

I sailed on the Splendor last July. There is one US and one AUS outlet by the desk. The bedside lamps are plugged into EUR outlets under the bed. I unplugged my lamp and used an adapter so I could use my US CPAP machine.

Edited by craig01020

4 hours ago, groundloop said:

I'm guessing it might be the same as Spirit.  We sailed on Spirit on her second cruise after the restart, if my memory is correct there was one US 120 VAC outlet and one Australian outlet (3 prong 230 Volt).

Yea...basically the same as Splendor. I'd think with Spirit and Splendor doing itineraries in Australia, they had the euro plug replaced with the 3 prong Australia plug.

• 2 months later...

I went looking for an answer to theis question myself, and found a YouTube video where someone is showing their cabin, including the plugs. looks like there is one AU plug 220v and one US plug 110v.  You could bring a double adapter to turn the AU plug into 2 (without a surge protector), and an adapter for the US plug

Edited by cruiser3775

• 8 months later...
On 4/14/2023 at 6:26 PM, cruiser3775 said:

I went looking for an answer to theis question myself, and found a YouTube video where someone is showing their cabin, including the plugs. looks like there is one AU plug 220v and one US plug 110v.  You could bring a double adapter to turn the AU plug into 2 (without a surge protector), and an adapter for the US plug

The US Carnival FAQ allows non-surge protected powerboards, however the Australian FAQ is clear that they are prohibited items. It is quite possible that 240V is seen as a higher risk than 110V US boards.

• Multi-plug box outlets/power boards/adapters/extension cords are not permitted on board. However, should you require a multi-plug box outlet/power board/adapter/extension cord, please ask your Stateroom Steward who will be able to supply you one for the duration of your cruise.     https://help.carnival.com.au/app/answers/detail/a_id/129/related/1

8 hours ago, arxcards said:

The US Carnival FAQ allows non-surge protected powerboards, however the Australian FAQ is clear that they are prohibited items. It is quite possible that 240V is seen as a higher risk than 110V US boards.

Actually, the typical 220v power strip is a lesser risk than a consumer 110v power strip.  First off, the current drawn for a given wattage appliance at 220v is half of the current drawn by that same appliance at 110v (and current, not voltage, is what is dangerous).  This is why much of the world is on 220v.  Secondly, most consumer 110v power strips only have a circuit breaker that opens one leg of the power, since the other is assumed to be at earth voltage, as it is in the US, but not on ships.  Most consumer 220v power strips will have a circuit breaker that opens both legs of the power, providing a safer (for shipboard use) power strip.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Actually, the typical 220v power strip is a lesser risk than a consumer 110v power strip.  First off, the current drawn for a given wattage appliance at 220v is half of the current drawn by that same appliance at 110v (and current, not voltage, is what is dangerous).  This is why much of the world is on 220v.  Secondly, most consumer 110v power strips only have a circuit breaker that opens one leg of the power, since the other is assumed to be at earth voltage, as it is in the US, but not on ships.  Most consumer 220v power strips will have a circuit breaker that opens both legs of the power, providing a safer (for shipboard use) power strip.

It was a passing thought, as I can't otherwise figure why there is one set of rules for Australia and a different one for the US. Perhaps you can help with a reason why the Carnival Australian FAQ has all multi-outlets and power boards on the prohibited list, yet the US allows for non-surge strips.

On 1/27/2023 at 6:04 PM, plettza said:

I've never sailed on Splendor before but have sailed Spirit and Legend when they were in Australia.  These ships' staterooms had one Australian AS/NZS 3112 three-prong outlet.  Sailing on Ovation of the Seas in October, we found the staterooms (at least ours) had a US socket as well as a European outlet which I thought was handy although I didn't bring a Euro to AUS adapter.

Does Splendor only have one available Australian socket or is there a second one available such as US or European?  I want to make use of a second outlet if there's one available.

I had one of each on the desk.

3 hours ago, arxcards said:

It was a passing thought, as I can't otherwise figure why there is one set of rules for Australia and a different one for the US. Perhaps you can help with a reason why the Carnival Australian FAQ has all multi-outlets and power boards on the prohibited list, yet the US allows for non-surge strips.

My thought is that the AU ships/operations want to have people use the AU outlet, and provide 220v AU power strips that are inspected and tested on a regular basis.  The US based operations doesn't want to invest that much time and money into having to supply all the power strips that are needed on the multitude of US cruises.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

My thought is that the AU ships/operations want to have people use the AU outlet, and provide 220v AU power strips that are inspected and tested on a regular basis.  The US based operations doesn't want to invest that much time and money into having to supply all the power strips that are needed on the multitude of US cruises.

Thanks.

I get the inspected strips. It makes sense to have a reliable strip, as there is a lot of cheap imported garbage down here.

On 12/24/2023 at 12:11 PM, arxcards said:

• Multi-plug box outlets/power boards/adapters/extension cords are not permitted on board. However, should you require a multi-plug box outlet/power board/adapter/extension cord, please ask your Stateroom Steward who will be able to supply you one for the duration of your cruise.     https://help.carnival.com.au/app/answers/detail/a_id/129/related/1

If I'm reading their website correctly, only prohibited if they have surge protection built in?

From the exemptions section. Of the same link you posted:

·Personal grooming devices such as hair dryers, flat irons, curling irons, shavers, and other electrical devices, such as fans (no larger than 12" in diameter), power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords (without surge protectors) are allowed when used with proper caution.  However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned on debarkation morning.

9 minutes ago, MrsInABox said:

If I'm reading their website correctly, only prohibited if they have surge protection built in?

From the exemptions section. Of the same link you posted:

·Personal grooming devices such as hair dryers, flat irons, curling irons, shavers, and other electrical devices, such as fans (no larger than 12" in diameter), power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords (without surge protectors) are allowed when used with proper caution.  However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned on debarkation morning.

At present, they are applying the last sentence to a T. We boarded Splendor yesterday, and at luggage drop we were asked about two things not to be in luggage - a) alcohol, b) powerboards. I will try to get a photo of the confiscation table when we disembark.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2023 at 1:14 PM, arxcards said:

At present, they are applying the last sentence to a T. We boarded Splendor yesterday, and at luggage drop we were asked about two things not to be in luggage - a) alcohol, b) powerboards. I will try to get a photo of the confiscation table when we disembark.

Has to be in your carry on luggage so they can inspect. 

power boards have to clearly show it dosent have surge protection. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/28/2023 at 4:49 PM, craig01020 said:

I sailed on the Splendor last July. There is one US and one AUS outlet by the desk. The bedside lamps are plugged into EUR outlets under the bed. I unplugged my lamp and used an adapter so I could use my US CPAP machine.

DH and I are sailing on the Splendor in June 2024.  He also has a CPAP machine.  He is so happy to hear that we can unplug a lamp.  That said, are the outlets easy to get to if beds are together?  The ole bod wouldn't be able to bend down and reach under a bed too easily.

10 hours ago, pamesacruisin said:

Are the outlets easy to get to if beds are together?

Not too easy to reach. I laid on the floor next to bed and reached under. I wouldn't want to do it every day, but it was worth it.

With this adapter, you can plug the lamp back in too:  https://a.co/d/1rnluAU

2 hours ago, craig01020 said:

Not too easy to reach. I laid on the floor next to bed and reached under. I wouldn't want to do it every day, but it was worth it.

With this adapter, you can plug the lamp back in too:  https://a.co/d/1rnluAU

Thank you so much for the reply.  Yes, I think it's worth trying.  Of course we better attempt it before heading to the buffet!  

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, salty dingo said:

This is good info - I'm planning a long trip in Spendor next year and didn't realize I would need a different adapter than the Euro-style I am used to seeing on Carnival ships.

You can use the standard Europe adapter, but the lamp won't be plugged in. The link I sent is in case you wanted to plug in a US and European plug.