Going to MDR late without reservations. Do they turn you away if it’s near closing time?

I really want to try Italian night on Wonder next week. Won’t know what night it is until I’m onboard, because the themes keep changing to different days on the app. If it closes at 8:30pm, can you walk in at 8pm and expect no lines? Will they let you order and stay past the close? 

Do you have a traditional dining time, such as 5:30 early or 8:30 late? Or do you have MTD (anytime)? If traditional, you need to be there within 15 minutes of your reserved seating time or you may not be allowed to enter. If MTD, you can probably enter until closing. Maybe someone else knows more!

Just now, SilkySal said:

Do you have a traditional dining time, such as 5:30 early or 8:30 late? Or do you have MTD (anytime)? If traditional, you need to be there within 15 minutes of your reserved seating time or you may not be allowed to enter. If MTD, you can probably enter until closing. Maybe someone else knows more!

MTD

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Thisguylikestocruise said:

MTD

You can either set your dining times before you board via your phone app or your "My Cruises" account. If you used a travel agent, request help from them. Or, you can wait until you get on board and then proceed to the dining room, where they can help you make your reservations if needed. If you just show up for MTD at the preferred time, usually around 6:45pm with no reservation, you may have to wait a few minutes for a table. That line usually lessens after 7pm. Good luck with whatever you choose to do! Happy cruising!

Also, the app also lets you see the menu for the week, if you want to do the specialty restaurant based on food served in the dining room.

Edited by SilkySal
add

I just know that we had traditional on Jewel and the huge sign on a stand out front said that doors would close at 530 for the early seating, and they did. I don’t know how it would work for late seating since it wouldn’t affect MTD, which I think is why it was enforced for early dining.  I could be wrong though.

You will be fine. 8:30 isn’t closing time; it’s the latest they will seat arriving guests. We are late diners, never arriving before 8:00, usually around 8:15. Can’t say as we have ever had to wait.

They’re usually cleaning up around us as we finish, but that doesn’t bother us at all. We have no problem being the last ones out of the dining room, but we usually aren’t.

Last cruise, we dined in Coastal Kitchen, and they did come out toward the end of our meal, asking if we would like anything else from the kitchen, as it was closing. But we still enjoyed coffee and dessert and never felt rushed. 

It’s no different than showing up at the end of breakfast service. As night owls, we do that too!

44 minutes ago, Thisguylikestocruise said:

I really want to try Italian night on Wonder next week. Won’t know what night it is until I’m onboard, because the themes keep changing to different days on the app. If it closes at 8:30pm, can you walk in at 8pm and expect no lines? Will they let you order and stay past the close? 

If you know that your party is going to be late, just speak to your Headwaiter and he can make accommodations.  For instance, on our October Oasis sail, we excursed to Disney World and knew that we would be late.  Our Headwaiter on our early traditional dining made arrangements and when we showed up at 8:15 PM we were seated.  Time of closing for MTD at that night was 9  PM.

Edited by nelblu