Do you sell your HAL "stuff" on eBay?

ekerr19

I just saw quite a few items commemorating the Noordam inaugural (cruise, lunches, festivites, etc.) for sale on eBay...

I was sort of surprised, because I always keep everything - and by everything, I mean everything, lol!

Am I the only one? :confused:

Would you or do you sell any of your cruise memorabilia on eBay?

I have definitely never sold any of my HAL items on eBay, now I have purchased a few items including an auction that ended yested on all the Nordam inaugural items. I probably paid too much but I wanted it all and the shipping cost was fair. If any one is interested here is one that looks to be a good deal so far http://cgi.ebay.com/Holland-America-ms-Noordam-NY-2006-Inaugural-Event-set_W0QQitemZ6611765796QQcategoryZ35964QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

These were the same items I just was able to pick up. Now I have sold on eBay before but it was Swarovski Crystal, I use to do a lot of buying and selling of.

Lisa -

So you were able to get some Noordam inaugural items? I think you'll really enjoy them. I can't imagine parting with any of the ones I got... in fact, I'm going to have to clear some room in my HAL curio cabinet for them, lol! Or buy another cabinet... :rolleyes:

I have all my HAL stuff going back to the plastic bag that was given out on my first cruise in '78. I would never put any of it on E-Bay.

But! I can imagine the day when the executers of my estate scream out "What on earth did she keep this for?!?!?!?" :eek: and unload it as fast as they can.

Looks Like that eBay seller is a TA - they got lots of Inaugural Items during their visits...

Personally, I could only part with things if I had duplicates - end even then it would be difficult for me to part with my precious memorabilia...

I wouldn't be selling my treasures either. I haven't checked ebay yet - are the items for sale things that are available in the shops or the goodies that the inaugural pax were given? Big difference, IMO. The former is just someone re-selling what they purchased. I can understand that. The latter - that I don't get. Why take the maiden voyage only to turn around & sell some of the things that made that trip special. Unless you got extras of some of the boot - but then how did you do that? ;)

Here's something I did find interesting. Prior to the cruise I found an inflatable HAL ship on ebay. It eventually sold for about $40 - unbelievable that someone wanted it that badly. A week later another one was up for auction. Didn't sell. I think the starting price for both was $5. The exact same item is available in the shop-onboard for $4.

You would think that being a special cruise that you would want to keep the stuff. I do.

Depends on how big a house you have. I have more "stuff" here than I can count. Books stacked on the floor of my small bedroom, papers from law school, old reports from grad school ... things I just don't want to get rid of yet ... for my own reasons. So, space here can get tight.

If I got a bunch of stuff from an inaugral (sp?) cruise, I'd probably keep only the most meaningful item to me and then get rid of the rest. Not sure I'd sell it, though ... I'd probably just give the stuff away.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Looks Like that eBay seller is a TA - they got lots of Inaugural Items during their visits...

Personally, I could only part with things if I had duplicates - end even then it would be difficult for me to part with my precious memorabilia...

I woiuld tend to agree with bepsf. I still have all the "stuff" from our first trip on Rotterdam along whith all the stuff from the 2004 games in Athens. As everybody seems to post that they keep these kinds of things too. I think we gave the HAL bag to my mother which she uses to tote books back and fourth from the town library. We're takeing them with us on the Noordam for their first cruise. My mother is so excited, I've been sending her all kinds of pictures from the ship. Looking forward to send her a few of RevNeal's pics :)

I WOULDN'T DREAM of parting with any of the special things we received during the Noordam Inaugurals. Just wouldn't happen!!! I collect the Inaugural Plates and loved being able to add Noordam's to my collection. I love having the Noordam book and the other great things.

No WAY.......I wouldn't part with a thing. (:) I even took one of the postcards out of the portfolio on our bureau in the Suite the night we stayed over. All of it goes in my 'memory book'.

(I agree, Ruth, about our executors.......They will be shaking their heads saying something like 'We knew they loved HAL, but this is over the top!!!!" :)

Call me strange, but first I wouldn't sell any memorabilia on EBay (or anywhere else) if I had it, but second I wouldn't buy it either!

I'm certainly not criticizing anyone who wants to do this, but I see memorabilia as just that ... a memory of a place or an event I enjoyed. Otherwise (to me) it's just a "thing". And I've got too many "things" as it is :).

I wouldn't be selling my treasures either. I haven't checked ebay yet - are the items for sale things that are available in the shops or the goodies that the inaugural pax were given? Big difference, IMO. The former is just someone re-selling what they purchased. I can understand that. The latter - that I don't get. Why take the maiden voyage only to turn around & sell some of the things that made that trip special. Unless you got extras of some of the boot - but then how did you do that? ;)

Here's something I did find interesting. Prior to the cruise I found an inflatable HAL ship on ebay. It eventually sold for about $40 - unbelievable that someone wanted it that badly. A week later another one was up for auction. Didn't sell. I think the starting price for both was $5. The exact same item is available in the shop-onboard for $4.

When my wife and I toured the ship in NY they gave out tote bags with stuff inside. They also handed us each a box as we left. As it turned out we got 2 books and 4 inaugarul plates of the Noordam.

Very impressed with the ship. Thinking about booking her for an Alaska cruise summer 2007.

Bill

NO! NO! NO! I was thrilled to be invited to the Mariner brunch and the opportunity to 'tour' the ship and was delighted to receive the HAL bag filled with momento gifts! We hope to be able to cruise with her in the near future.

Here's to the 'packrats' of the world...er...I mean collectors!!

Happy sailings to all!

RSSC Paul Gauguin 10/28/06 French Polynesia

luv2cruise, off topic but you don't know how this jumped at me and you could never know how envious I am. We did this cruise on the Wind Song in 1990 ... experience of a lifetime. Have a wonderful journey through the most magnificent islands on this earth.

for your good wishes...I'm pretty excited about this particular cruise too. Any suggestions of 'must see or must do's' while there? Any recommendations are welcome. I've checked the RSSC boards and have gotten some info from there also. And I have bought 2 guidebooks to look over. We've also booked RSSC's 2 day post cruise stay in Papeete before flying home. You are certainly welcome to come join us on this sailing!

I see that you are booked on the Prinsendam later this year...have a super sailing on a lovely ship with a wonderful crew!

Thanks again and happy sailings always.

Betty

Archived