A Low-No Booze Cruise on the Mardi Gras - Semi Live

crewsweeper

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

crewsweeper was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

On board the Mardi Gras. Just under way. Heading to San Juan, Amber Cove and Grand Turk.

Unfortunately, I was diagnosed with gout just before we left for the cruise. So good thing I didn't spring for  Cheers. I can still drink wine, in moderation and coffee. But the visions I had of sampling all the recent drink recommendations at Alchemy, Fortune Tellers and my fave Brass Magnolia as well as the P&A brews, are not to be.

Nevertheless, we're cruising and that's the main thing.

This is our 2nd time on MG. DW wanted a spa cabin, so we booked a cove balcony on Deck 5.

It's tiny. Barely bigger than an inside. Balcony doesn't even hold 2 chairs comfortably.

9 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

On board the Mardi Gras. Just under way. Heading to San Juan, Amber Cove and Grand Turk.

Unfortunately, I was diagnosed with gout just before we left for the cruise. So good thing I didn't spring for  Cheers. I can still drink wine, in moderation and coffee. But the visions I had of sampling all the recent drink recommendations at Alchemy, Fortune Tellers and my fave Brass Magnolia as well as the P&A brews, are not to be.

Nevertheless, we're cruising and that's the main thing.

This is our 2nd time on MG. DW wanted a spa cabin, so we booked a cove balcony on Deck 5.

It's tiny. Barely bigger than an inside. Balcony doesn't even hold 2 chairs comfortably.

Sorry to hear you have the gout. I've been battling it for years, but I haven't had a flare up in years. I take allopurinal every day, and have indocin on hand in case of a flare up. It's not the alcohol per se, but what you are drinking. Beer is bad, as are organ meats, and shellfish. Have a great cruise! :classic_cool: 

• Like 1

Did muster drill upon boarding. Took all of 2minutes.  Cabin wasn't ready but we were able to drop off carry ons. Then up to Street Eats for lunch. Chill Dog curly fries, steamed dumpling and beef kabobs. Looked for Celebration cheesecake but no one heard of it . So went with German chocolate and raspberry gelato.

S&S cards weren't available until 1:30. Also had note that our water order was unavailable. But 2 1.58 qt bottles were for sale in the room🤔

• Like 2

Just now, Jamman54 said:

Sorry to hear you have the gout. I've been battling it for years, but I haven't had a flare up in years. I take allopurinal every day, and have indocin on hand in case of a flare up. It's not the alcohol per se, but what you are drinking. Beer is bad, as are organ meats, and shellfish. Have a great cruise! :classic_cool: 

Got the allopurinol packet and steroid shot. Thanks for the tips. Might sneak a late night bourbon. But will miss the beer. Big craft fan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crewsweeper said:

Did muster drill upon boarding. Took all of 2minutes.  Cabin wasn't ready but we were able to drop off carry ons. Then up to Street Eats for lunch. Chill Dog curly fries, steamed dumpling and beef kabobs. Looked for Celebration cheesecake but no one heard of it . So went with German chocolate and raspberry gelato.

S&S cards weren't available until 1:30. Also had note that our water order was unavailable. But 2 1.58 qt bottles were for sale in the room🤔

Don't know about the celebration cheesecake but the Funfetti cheesecake is our favorite and only served on embarkation day.Cut Funfetti Cheesecake Cake

Edited by sanmarcosman

My hubby has had really good luck with the allopurinal too. His first hour flare up was while we were on an anniversary cruise🙁. We really weren’t sure what was going on but figured that’s what it was and verified once home. Hopefully you won’t have too much trouble on your cruise. 

Early Assigned dining. After the stampede, at opening, we had a 1/2 empty area at the front of the Flamingo. But table by the windows. De wanted chocolate melting cake. Her veggie lasagna was really good. I enjoyed all the flavors in the Mahi Mahi with it's "stew" of okra, tomatoes, pumpkin, red pepper and garlic.

Bread service was an after thought but the rest was good. In and out in an hour ten.

Looking at seeing Manny Oliver's for comedy. A test of my CI to hear.

Sea day tomorrow.

26 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

That's what I was looking for!!!! Well it wasn't there either 😒

I just got off the MG today. Take good care of her! 
I asked about the funfetti and the lady looked at me like I had 2 heads. So apparently they don’t serve it on the MG 😞 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, chrcruiser said:

That Looks delicious!

It's a hybrid of birthday cake and cheesecake and it's the creamiest, richest cheesecake included in the cost of your cruise fare. Carnival serves "cheesecake" type desserts on other days in the lido that have had gelatin mixed in with the cream cheese to lower their food cost. The Funfetti Cheesecake tastes like it's made with 100% Philly cream cheese. 

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Like 2

Quiet Sea Day. No bacon police at Sea Day Brunch.😁  Must have had 6 slices when side ordered. Sitting at Summer Landing out of the wind. Serenity a bit blowing. Sun finally broke through.

Ship is crowded but not too bad for seating. Scattered empty loungers around.

Anyone have any questions?

We always would book a cove balcony on available ships, however your cove on the MG definitely looks like it shrunk in size vs other ships.  BUT glad to see they got rid of the shower curtain!

ENJOY your cruise....definitely the only thing we miss about living in Florida is availability to all the ports.

• Like 1

1st Elegant Night. We moved from Flamingo to Palm on 6 for Assigned dining. Early dining went fairly quick. In and out under an hour. But up on 7 The my time dining line was back past the Steak house bar. 

Only special on menu, IMO, was the Grand Marnier Souffle. Portions were noticably smaller; return of Nouveau Cuisine? Saw several tables going for 2entrees.

Heading to see Manny Oliver's comedy. Was steered wrong last night. It was Lionel Sanders, but he was funny. Can't swim but Certified Diver in Mexico.😀

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Hogladyrider said:

From other reviews it appears that Emeril's is finally taking off and gaining popularity.

Sounds like you are having a lovely cruise so far despite your physical circumstances.

I too would be avoiding Suessipolooza and opting for a relaxing day....ENJOY!

Alas, we're doing a daycare cruise when we're on Mardi Gras so avoiding Suessipolooza might not be an option for us.