A Low-No Booze Cruise on the Mardi Gras - Semi Live

crewsweeper

2 hours ago, momof3cruisers said:

May I ask, what is a daycare cruise?

2 hours ago, cacruisin said:

Its sarcasm for a cruise with lots of kids

Nope, sorry. My wife runs a daycare and every year or two the daycare families join us on a cruise with their kids (each family pays their own fare, of course 🙂). The first one was pretty fun and I expect this one will be as well. I did start to clarify that in my post but then thought it was too much info. Should have listened to myself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/28/2023 at 3:23 PM, crewsweeper said:

On board the Mardi Gras. Just under way. Heading to San Juan, Amber Cove and Grand Turk.

Unfortunately, I was diagnosed with gout just before we left for the cruise. So good thing I didn't spring for  Cheers. I can still drink wine, in moderation and coffee. But the visions I had of sampling all the recent drink recommendations at Alchemy, Fortune Tellers and my fave Brass Magnolia as well as the P&A brews, are not to be.

Nevertheless, we're cruising and that's the main thing.

This is our 2nd time on MG. DW wanted a spa cabin, so we booked a cove balcony on Deck 5.

It's tiny. Barely bigger than an inside. Balcony doesn't even hold 2 chairs comfortably.

We were on the Mardi Gras in August 2021 during the pandemic. We had booked a regular balcony, 9341 in the curve of the ship so the balcony was twice the size of a regular balcony and the cabin was a fair amount larger than the cove balconies. It was almost impossible to get a seat at the Alchemy bar where I went to get my favorite, which was not on the menu anymore but they still make them, the Fiery Tropical Passion Martini. They just don't light them on fire anymore like they used to probably from insurance regulations.

The ship was only 50% occupied as most of the ships we took during the pandemic were but it was still crowded and hard to find seats everywhere you went. I told myself that I would never cruise on one of those large new Carnival ships again once they started filling up again. 

I had gout twice but got on allopurinol the second time a dozen years ago and have never had it again. 

Edited by tallyho8
  • Like 1

A Grand Turk update.

DW is sick. Quarantine in room. So I'm on my own.

Been pre COVID since in GT so took a look around the cruise center area.

First, the pier repair is done.

But no cruise port umbrellas down to the water. Free loungers but no umbrellas. Covered loungers can be rented. Don't know cost 

There's more separation between Margarita Ville and private vendors, who do rent umbrellas.

Little shade on south side and more erosion down to the beach. 

IMG_20230202_105017412_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230202_104915213.jpg

@crewsweeper...I think I remember someone reporting that Jacks has been sold fairly recently.

Also MV is busy enough with one ship in port I can't imagine how crowded it is with 2 ships in port.

We usually would sit on the beach to the right of the dock away from crowds.  With 2 ships in port I'd probably stay on the ship!

Enjoy!

Strictly IMO, but the P&A sea day BBQ buffet was awful.  Saw a big gunk of fat on the pulled pork, so skipped. Beef was overcooked. Better Mac N cheese out of a generic box.

Hoping to grab a table at Cucina tonight.

Ate at Emeril's last night. My bad. Chose wrong items. Wasn't that hungry so ordered Boudin balls which were over spicy and fried to a crisp. And meat pies, also over fried with grisly meat. 

Should have gone for the gumbo or grits. Woman at next table this morning had shrimp and grits and they looked really good.

I think the reason some love the BBQ while others hate it or love the Blue Iguana while others don't etc...is that some of us are particularly lucky/spoiled in one type of food.  For example, I live in Southern California minutes from the Mexican border, so I get the most amazing authentic Mexican food there is while I have family in PA who think Taco Bell is Mexican food so personally I think Blue Iguana is usually horrible but someone else thinks its great!  Same goes for sushi we are pretty sushi spoiled in soCAL and I don't really think Bonzai is great either etc....so yeah, I imagine someone from the south who always had amazing BBQ his whole life might feel differently about P&A as someone less spoiled etc....

Edited by cacruisin
  • Thanks 1

OK, So. I need to wrap this up.

We're home. Safe, uneventful drive home, with a stop in Jacksonville's St John's Place, which has more traffic and longer lights every other block than any rush hour in Tallahassee.  Love that they even have a couple of hotels  where you can stay and shop.

Anywho,  there was a delay in reaching  port and it put things back an hour.  Nevertheless,  we were on the road shortly after 9. We waited until they had the platinum with checked luggage leave. Wrong decision.  Should have gone when they let the self debark platinum leave. But...

Overall, not our best cruise.  I was sick in San Juan. DW sick in Grand Turk. Had to cancel 2nd Steakhouse.. Missed Rudi's.  Terrible dinner at Emerils...bad food choice on my part. Cove balcony was smaller than an interior.

Comedians Lonnie Sanders and Doug Williams (as I recall names might be different) were good . For me though, really had difficulty understanding CJ Jones.  I think it was the Theater vs Punchliners venue.

However,  I'll take  it take warts and all over a week at work.

Everyone be well, keep calm and cruise on.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

cove balcony smaller than interior??  Any one ??

Actually if you go to the "goccl" page you can find the sq. footage for all cabins.  When I looked a cove balcony room has the exact same sq. ft. as a regular balcony room.  The actual balcony size can vary somewhat. They reduced room size on this new class of ship all over. That being said, we booked a cove balcony on Mardi Gras and also just got off our cruise.  We loved the room and the balcony was fine for the 2 of us, and is very private too.  We were in 5348 which I would definitely book again (midship).  Great location near stairs and elevators and under Java Blue cafe (no noise at all from above).  And if ;you research you will see the cove isn't smaller than an interior (plus there is not balcony space).

• Like 1

On 1/28/2023 at 4:37 PM, Jamman54 said:

Sorry to hear you have the gout. I've been battling it for years, but I haven't had a flare up in years. I take allopurinal every day, and have indocin on hand in case of a flare up. It's not the alcohol per se, but what you are drinking. Beer is bad, as are organ meats, and shellfish. Have a great cruise! :classic_cool: 

Right there with y'all.  I've had it, or the potential for it, for many years now, but allopurinol and reasonably smart food choices have made bad flare-ups a thing of the past.   

I AM now officially diabetic, but booked Cheers when my friends did, right before I was diagnosed.   😮  

Oh, well.  I still enjoyed diet sodas and free bottled water...and one doctor-permitted daiquiri a day.   🙂 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pellaz said:

Right there with y'all.  I've had it, or the potential for it, for many years now, but allopurinol and reasonably smart food choices have made bad flare-ups a thing of the past.   

I AM now officially diabetic, but booked Cheers when my friends did, right before I was diagnosed.   😮  

Oh, well.  I still enjoyed diet sodas and free bottled water...and one doctor-permitted daiquiri a day.   🙂 

Finding shoes and booze work against you.  But going to try a single weekend wee dram of Scotch on Saturday.   Ibuprofen and tart cherry juice (not bad , albeit needed gin or vodka😆) seem to help better than anything.