I'm sure curling irons/straighteners are allowed...BUT...this email suggests otherwise...

KKB

From MSC regarding my cruise in 15 days:

"The only electrical appliances permitted in the cabin are electric shavers, hairdryers, battery chargers and computers"

Of course they don't mention tablets, phones...I have a small rechargeable fan...

So I'll take that with a grain of salt...

27 minutes ago, KKB said:

From MSC regarding my cruise in 15 days:

"The only electrical appliances permitted in the cabin are electric shavers, hairdryers, battery chargers and computers"

Of course they don't mention tablets, phones...I have a small rechargeable fan...

So I'll take that with a grain of salt...

Technically “hair irons”, which I assume would include straighteners and curling irons, are prohibited, according to their website. That said, I’m sure many bring them onboard every cruise with no issues.  

“Port Security has the duty to search Guests and luggage to confiscate any article internationally known as dangerous for the safety and security of Guests, Crew and ship. Such items will be confiscated and not returned. Alcohol, firearms, sharp objects such as blades and scissors, flammable and explosive material, items with heating elements or open flames (e.g. clothing irons, hair irons. kettles, hotplates, candles, incense), drones.”

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/manage-booking/before-you-go/luggage

Edited by JT1962

1 minute ago, JT1962 said:

Technically “hair irons”, which I assume would include straighteners and curling irons, are prohibited, according to their website. That said, I’m sure many bring them onboard every cruise with no issues.  

“Port Security has the duty to search Guests and luggage to confiscate any article internationally known as dangerous for the safety and security of Guests, Crew and ship. Such items will be confiscated and not returned. Alcohol, firearms, sharp objects such as blades and scissors, flammable and explosive material, items with heating elements or open flames (e.g. clothing irons, hair irons. kettles, hotplates, candles, incense), drones.”

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/manage-booking/before-you-go/luggage

Huh. Well that would be pretty unpopular, and goodness knows in this era of taking to social media to light it up when people are unhappy, considering I've never heard complaints, I suspect that is an ignored rule.

I have never had any of my hair irons confiscated. I put them in my carry on along with my heating pads for my back. Just cruised as recent as 12/30-01/13. 
The only irons I’ve seen confiscated are clothes irons

• Like 2

On our last MSC cruise one of my checked bags was flagged and I had to go claim it.  They said it was probably because of my straightener.  I mad a sad/annoyed face and got my bag (and straightener) bac without a problem.  

PS:  straighteners are great for tough up ironing in a pinch.

40 minutes ago, shatzi13 said:

On our last MSC cruise one of my checked bags was flagged and I had to go claim it.  They said it was probably because of my straightener.  I mad a sad/annoyed face and got my bag (and straightener) bac without a problem.  

PS:  straighteners are great for tough up ironing in a pinch.

I’ve had very good luck putting them in my carry on bag. The security folks at the ports have never said anything to me about my hair irons or heating pads. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, styles27 said:

I’ve had very good luck putting them in my carry on bag. The security folks at the ports have never said anything to me about my hair irons or heating pads. 

This is good to hear.

I have wished I had a heading pad with me, especially after a long excursion,

I will now pack one in my carry on.😃

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, phissy said:

This is good to hear.

I have wished I had a heading pad with me, especially after a long excursion,

I will now pack one in my carry on.😃

I don’t leave home without them lol.
One reason I love JetBlue is they have outlets in the seats so I use the heating pad on the flight as well.

I also bring this portable heating pad for excursions it can run off of this charging bank. This charger fits perfectly in the pocket of the heating pad. 

Can you tell I’ve had a few spine surgeries 🤦🏻‍♀️

B9FDFAF0-DC12-4378-8382-AD6874E3F552.thumb.jpeg.b0d90b241fa005d73d78514b99cfdfe6.jpegF2A90D25-0D49-4DDE-A92F-4FB7F52F2FD1.thumb.jpeg.94099e0f1f5c5afb0bf12ea7cffccf82.jpeg

Edited by styles27
  • Thanks 1

My wife would not have been happy without her straightener,  She packed her primary one (110V) in her checked bag and put the backup (220V) in my checked bag hoping at least one would get through.  Both made it without a problem.  Seascape today...

Edited by Av8tor