Travel with a 5-year-old

wanderingnsw

59 minutes ago, Got2Cruise said:

If it weren’t the Alaska cruise, I’d say reconsider. But Alaska sailings attract families. 

We were on a Regent cruise to the Mediterranean and there was a Grandma traveling with her daughters and a few grandchildren 5-10 years old. Wellllll before the cruise was over, the sisters had a loud argument by the pool with 2 sisters saying that they shouldn’t have gone along with what the one sister insisted on, they should have taken the Disney cruise. 

I get your point but that is three ADULTS misbehaving, not two children.

• Like 1

Although this post doesn't really address the original question, perhaps you will enjoy it.

I was chatting with an experienced cruiser on a Seabourn cruise who once took her grandkids on a Disney cruise. The kids loved it but she was tempted abandon the grand-tykes, jump overboard, and swim for shore.

Edited by DavidTheWonderer
  • Haha 1

With the number of people who sail on Regent who have grandchildren that age, your daughter should be well received. She may even get tired of all the attention she gets from the kindly Grams and Grandads/ Granpas who will engage her in conversation and ooh and ahh how cute she is! 

If she can occupy herself during long drawn out meals (and if so, she can help me do it), and enjoys the excursions available, then go for it! 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, cotto22 said:

With the number of people who sail on Regent who have grandchildren that age, your daughter should be well received. She may even get tired of all the attention she gets from the kindly Grams and Grandads/ Granpas who will engage her in conversation and ooh and ahh how cute she is! 

If she can occupy herself during long drawn out meals (and if so, she can help me do it), and enjoys the excursions available, then go for it! 

You can do CR in 45 minutes if you tell them up front.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kwaj girl said:

And just how would another passenger "know" that you, as a TA, were or were not earning SSS nights ?  

I apology if my thinking was unclear (it happens). You , or the crew, see a passenger on board on the time but they are not at the top SSS gatherings. That's the big giveaway, IMO. Not me, I've never taken a discounted cruise...ever.

On 1/29/2023 at 5:17 PM, wanderingnsw said:

Hi was wondering if anyone has ever traveled RSSC with a younger kid. I've never been on a cruise before and I'm considering booking an Alaskan cruise and I like that this company has smaller ships. I will however be traveling with my (then) 5-year-old daughter. I've gone lots of places with her and we don't do typical 'kid' things when we travel, but I just wanted to see if she (or I) would feel out of place. I'm also looking into a cruise on Silversea, so I'm going to ask the same question on that forum. Any insight would be amazing. 

Thanks!

New Kids Specials - I hope this helps!!!

Special Savings for Kids

On February 1, 2023, children aged 17 or younger sail for FREE, on six select voyages in Alaska, inclusive of FREE Unlimited Shore Excursions.

Offer expires March 31, 2023. On the same voyages, our Club Mariner Youth Program, designed for age groups 5-17, offers specially-designed activities hosted by experienced and enthusiastic youth counselors, from mini-putt tournaments to dance parties and movie nights.

DETAILS:

• Offer is valid for new bookings only; standard retro policy applies.
  • Offer is valid on the voyages below and is a per-person, cruise-only fare.
  • Offer is valid in all markets for all currencies; please refer to pricing models for kids fares by currency.
  • Kids fares are applicable for guests age 17 and under only; age at time of sailing must be qualified before applying Kids fare to a booking.
  • Offer is available to 3rd+ guest in suite.
  • Offer is combinable with all public offers, except for Single Supplement Specials.
  • Offer is combinable with National Account Amenities.
    • Offer is not combinable with
      • Single Supplement Specials
      • Travel Advisor/Interline Fares

APPLICABLE VOYAGES:

June 28, July 26, Aug 2, Aug 9, Aug 23 and Aug 30 all on Explorer.

TERMS & CONDITIONS *Kids Sail Free promotion is cruise-only, as 3rd and/or 4th Guest in suite and applies to children 17 years of age or younger, when accompanied by an adult 18 years of age or older. Offer is on select sailings only and expires 3/31/23.

• Like 2

On 1/30/2023 at 3:42 PM, DavidTheWonderer said:

Although this post doesn't really address the original question, perhaps you will enjoy it.

I was chatting with an experienced cruiser on a Seabourn cruise who once took her grandkids on a Disney cruise. The kids loved it but she was tempted abandon the grand-tykes, jump overboard, and swim for shore.

We took a Disney cruise WITHOUT kids and it was awesome! They have adults only dining, pools and entertainment. Honestly the only time we saw kids, they were on the stairs where the Disney camp counselors would move them over to the side and they would sing acute little song. It was actually quite charming!

• Like 2

From what OP has said, I think Regent would be fine for her daughter.  They have the kids club program in the summer in Alaska.  My boys were able to sit through long meals within problems at that age and enjoyed them, often ordering things much more adventurous than I would have. My 2 grandbabies, both 22 months old, sit through long meals in restaurants all the time without issues, because they have been taught to from the get go.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fizzy said:

Bingo.

5 hours ago, RachelG said:

From what OP has said, I think Regent would be fine for her daughter.  They have the kids club program in the summer in Alaska.  My boys were able to sit through long meals within problems at that age and enjoyed them, often ordering things much more adventurous than I would have. My 2 grandbabies, both 22 months old, sit through long meals in restaurants all the time without issues, because they have been taught to from the get go.  

As I told my daughter when her babies came…” you are the adult here… set the tone from the get go or you will be sorry later.

Edited by cwn
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, cwn said:

As I told my daughter when her babies came…” you are the adult here… set the tone from the get go or you will be sorry later.

Agree 100% - you are here to be their parent, not to be their best friend. If you want to do what is best for them you will teach them how to respect and get along with others, how to support themselves and how to make the world a better place over their lifetimes.

• Like 1