Lisbon Portugal Cruise Port

We have a cruise booked for late May of this year that leaves from Portugal.  I realize this is "everyone's favorite" subject however since we have always been transported via bus to the ship on other European cruises in this case we will walk up to the cruise terminal. Is tipping at this port expected?  

Thanks

Since your question is not specific to HAL, it should probably have been asked here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/149-other-mediterranean-ports/

The cruise terminal is right in the downtown and very convenient to walk around, especially the wonderful Alfama section of town.  Try to arrive a day or two early and experience the city before your cruise.

As for tipping, as in most of western Europe (and unlike the US), tips are not required but are appreciated, and they should be smaller than in the US.  2 EUR total for all your bags is fine, if you give anything.

Make sure you are on your balcony or on deck for the sail-away since it wonderful.  The starboard side of the ship will have more interesting sites to see.

You really don't need to tip in Europe, but if someone carries your case or does something extra a tip is appreciated, but again, you won't get any ugly looks if you don't. And tips are rarely more than 2 euro, using US % will make people ask if you didn't make a mistake.

We have used two different cruise ports for Lisbon - one right in town and a great location; the other at the far end of town in a more industrial setting - quite a walk to the public transit from that location - looked dicey but it worked out okay.  

This port location choice may depend on size of ship, number of other ships in port at the same time,  and any number of other reasons. So be prepared for one or the other.  

Hope you get the downtown one and that you can confirm this ahead of time - the walks up the hill into an historic section and  port wine/ fado establishments by this older port (also near the train station) are wonderful. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Ellaleah said:

I will have 1 day in Lisbon on my cruise.  What woukd you do with one day?  My sister and I are 76 and 82 so nothing too strenuous.  Suggestions for tours are appreciated.  Thank you.

I'm sure there are many options for Lisbon tours.  The summer before covid, we used Tours4Cruisers that we had researched earlier on the internet before the cruise and had good reviews.  You could buy tickets for the tour right as you left the cruise terminal.  In 2019, they were 19 EUR per person for a 4 hour tour.  They took us to many of the interesting tourists sites around the city with stops at the Belem Tower, Jeronimos Monastery, Discovery Monument, and Edward VII park which has a nice view of the city.  On the way back to the port, you could either take the bus all the way, or get off in the center of the city and walk, which we did.

Before the tour we walked around the Alfama section of the city, which was right across from where our ship docked.  It was a wonderful and historic place to walk, but it also on a hill so may not be appropriate for you.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2023 at 9:06 AM, Torquer said:
On 1/31/2023 at 11:54 PM, Ellaleah said:

I'm sure there are many options for Lisbon tours.  The summer before covid, we used Tours4Cruisers that we had researched earlier on the internet before the cruise and had good reviews.  You could buy tickets for the tour right as you left the cruise terminal.  In 2019, they were 19 EUR per person for a 4 hour tour.  They took us to many of the interesting tourists sites around the city with stops at the Belem Tower, Jeronimos Monastery, Discovery Monument, and Edward VII park which has a nice view of the city.  On the way back to the port, you could either take the bus all the way, or get off in the center of the city and walk, which we did.

Before the tour we walked around the Alfama section of the city, which was right across from where our ship docked.  It was a wonderful and historic place to walk, but it also on a hill so may not be appropriate for you.

Thanks so much for this info.

15 hours ago, lisabdh1 said:

Does anyone know which cruise terminal the NCL Sun departs from in Lisbon?

this is the website of the Lisbon Port Authority where you can check your ship's docking berth- always a good idea to keep checking as berth's do change according to ship traffic

https://www.portodelisboa.pt/en/planeamento-de-cruzeiros1

1. enter a set of dates

2. In the "docking berth" drop down box, hit select, then search and a list of ships with dates with appear.

• Thanks 1