Looking for any general recommendations on excursions?

OnTheJourney

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Never heard of that as the ones that do tours who took the blue flag course are supposed to be trained to guide.  That reminds me. One thing that I advise not doing on a taxi tour is the caves. You will be in the caves for an hour or so and the driver won’t be doing anything. If you want to do the caves just take a taxi there and another taxi back. The driver I had wanted to take us there but I had already done the caves. He seemed disappointed we didn’t want to go there.

Good advice about not doing the caves while on tour.  I did the bermuda byways tour (without wife) a few years ago.  Wife wants to just tour the island to see the sights.  The most a 5 minute stop for a photo.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/31/2023 at 3:10 PM, philpcruiser said:

Last question on the blue flag taxis (I hope):  Are they in a queue and you need to take the first in line, or say you don't like the looks or attitude or something about the first, can you go down the line and pick one you prefer?

yes you can choose.

There was a topic on this bord about blue flag taxis in the past.

I used them 3 times with reservation for a specific driver because of this bord.

It is a great way to tour the island and they do customize the tour at your demand. In example we wanted to go up the Gibbs Hill lighthouse, he waited for us at the bottom and even took pictures of us at the top that he texted me after. You can choose where not to go and the drop off location.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, moposh said:

One excursion I'm looking at goes into Hamilton.  It will be Sunday.  Is there anything open in Hamilton on Sunday?  If not, is there still stuff to do/look at?  Thanks.

In general retail stores will be closed, bars and restaurants will be open. Not much to do but walk around and perhaps visit Fort Hamilton.

I can't imagine ever taking an excursion that goes into Hamilton on any day of the week. What does the excursion's description say it does in Hamilton?

11 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

In general retail stores will be closed, bars and restaurants will be open. Not much to do but walk around and perhaps visit Fort Hamilton.

I can't imagine ever taking an excursion that goes into Hamilton on any day of the week. What does the excursion's description say it does in Hamilton?

Lighthouses, Pink Sands and Shopping

Join a small group on a three-hour sightseeing trip around Bermuda's South Shore with photo stops at Somerset Bridge, Horseshoe Bay, Heydon Trust Chapel, and Gibbs Hill Lighthouse, plus shopping along Hamilton's famous Front Street. Among an intimate group of six explorers you'll travel in a minivan with a knowledgeable local guide across the tropical island of Bermuda. Along the way you'll see Heydon Trust Chapel, the smallest church on the island dating back to 1620. Cross Somerset Bridge, the world's smallest drawbridge where only sailboats can pass. Then enjoy sweeping views of Horseshoe Bay while standing at one of the island's most recognized beaches, admiring Bermuda's signature pink sands. A stop in front of Gibbs Hill Lighthouse offers panoramic views of one of the first lighthouses in the world built entirely of cast-iron. Your final stop in the capital city of Hamilton gives you 30 minutes' free time to shop among the pastel-hued colonial buildings of Front Street. This waterfront esplanade houses a host of high-end fashion boutiques, jewelry stores, and souvenir shops. The return route along Harbor Road leads you past upscale waterfront homes before reaching the pier.

Edited by moposh

55 minutes ago, moposh said:

Lighthouses, Pink Sands and Shopping

Join a small group on a three-hour sightseeing trip around Bermuda's South Shore with photo stops at Somerset Bridge, Horseshoe Bay, Heydon Trust Chapel, and Gibbs Hill Lighthouse, plus shopping along Hamilton's famous Front Street. Among an intimate group of six explorers you'll travel in a minivan with a knowledgeable local guide across the tropical island of Bermuda. Along the way you'll see Heydon Trust Chapel, the smallest church on the island dating back to 1620. Cross Somerset Bridge, the world's smallest drawbridge where only sailboats can pass. Then enjoy sweeping views of Horseshoe Bay while standing at one of the island's most recognized beaches, admiring Bermuda's signature pink sands. A stop in front of Gibbs Hill Lighthouse offers panoramic views of one of the first lighthouses in the world built entirely of cast-iron. Your final stop in the capital city of Hamilton gives you 30 minutes' free time to shop among the pastel-hued colonial buildings of Front Street. This waterfront esplanade houses a host of high-end fashion boutiques, jewelry stores, and souvenir shops. The return route along Harbor Road leads you past upscale waterfront homes before reaching the pier.

OK this is your basic stop and take a few photos excursion. 

Forget about the shopping in Hamilton part because virtually all stores are closed on Sunday.

59 minutes ago, moposh said:

@njhorseman  I'm not too sure about the minvan travel.  Is Hamilton not an interesting place to visit?  I went to Bermuda last year, but just went to beach and snorkeling.   I wanted to try and see more of the island this time.

We always go to Hamilton for an afternoon when we're in Bermuda. We have lunch at the Hog Penny pub, then do a bit of shopping on Front St. We don't take a tour in Hamilton...never have in 35 years of visiting Bermuda. Assuming your  ship is docked at the Royal Naval Dockyard just take the ferry...it's inexpensive and fast. 

If it appeals to you walk up to Fort Hamilton . It was built to defend the city against invaders but never had to be used for that purpose. 

Hamilton is the modern retail business, banking and insurance hub of the country as well as the country's capital. To get more of a taste of Bermuda's historical center make a visit to St. George's, and also consider visiting the National Museum of Bermuda, which is just steps from the cruise ship piers in the Dockyard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 4/27/2023 at 2:35 PM, moposh said:

I did Bermuda Pirates Sunset Glass Bottom Cocktail Cruise and Bermuda Triangle Nightlife Glass Bottom Cruise.

We are looking at this excursion.   Did you like it?   I am claustrophobic, will it be too closed in for me or is there somewhere to go that is open?  Thanks for any info you can give me.

On 5/26/2023 at 4:35 PM, nyer said:

We are looking at this excursion.   Did you like it?   I am claustrophobic, will it be too closed in for me or is there somewhere to go that is open?  Thanks for any info you can give me.

Yes, I enjoyed it.  On both, we sat on top of the boat and then went below for the glass bottomed portion.  The top was covered, but open on sides.  

• 1 month later...
On 3/29/2023 at 7:19 PM, OnTheJourney said:

Bermuda Byways Tours. However, they're fully booked for the day we're there - only takes a max of 10 people. 

I have sent two emails to Bermuda Byways and have no replies.  Is better to call ?  Also, what email did you use?

On 4/27/2023 at 7:53 AM, sebas030 said:

yes you can choose.

There was a topic on this bord about blue flag taxis in the past.

I used them 3 times with reservation for a specific driver because of this bord.

It is a great way to tour the island and they do customize the tour at your demand. In example we wanted to go up the Gibbs Hill lighthouse, he waited for us at the bottom and even took pictures of us at the top that he texted me after. You can choose where not to go and the drop off location.

Who was your driver?

2 hours ago, Alex618 said:

Also, what email did you use?

bermudabyways@gmail.com   She always got right back to me.  Did everything by email. Heidi's great, so perhaps just hasn't gotten around to checking all her emails yet (?)  I'm sure she'll respond.

Edited by OnTheJourney