Packing List - Cruise Essentials

kh6275

Wow .. only thing missing that I bring is a hanging toiletries bag rather than the over the door storage thingy. Obviously I have to bring socket adapters but I have a mix of European and Irish plugs for most of my stuff so normally don’t need adapters for everything. 
I will also be bringing at least one hanger with me for hanging my coat on the laundry line in the bathroom (Alaska cruise), but I would bring one on a warm weather cruise too for hanging my change robe as I found it didn’t dry well when hung on a hook and my wardrobe didn’t have any proper hangers that could hang on the line.  I’ve recently come across folding hangers on Amazon that I’m going to order and test before deciding if I need a normal hanger or not 

CASH and one more pair of drawers than I think I might need.  

Seriously, recently bought some small fans that run off of USB that I really like in the room.  I need some air moving.  I don't see how folks sleep without it. 

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 4

Some things, such as Tylenol/Ibuprofen/Aspirin and cold/flu meds/cough drops have not been available onboard (in the shops) of some of the ships.

So, it really is a good idea to pack some (in order to avoid VERY costly purchases in the medical clinic).

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Longstockingpippi1 said:

Where do you need the voltage converter? I don’t even see it on your list. Serious question 🙋‍♀️, ty 

You don't however the staterooms usually have at least 2 European outlets and with the voltage converter I can use them. I carry a lot of camera gear, batteries etc.... it really comes in handy

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Laszlo said:

You don't however the staterooms usually have at least 2 European outlets and with the voltage converter I can use them. I carry a lot of camera gear, batteries etc.... it really comes in handy

You are thinking of the adapter 👍. A converters converts the electricity voltage from say us/ Europe. I was curious about it because I read that most of the time a voltage converted is not needed, especially on a cruise ship. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Also make sure to bring any feminine items you might need.  On our last cruise, we came across a woman in the MSC private island gift shop looking for tampons.  They didn't carry them.  She indicated that the ship giftshop on the ship (Divina) also did not have them.  

As others have indicated, any OTC meds are also important.  The selection in the gift shops on the ship are very sparse and expensive.  Not every port has a CVS within easy access.

Edited by pcrum
grammar
  • Like 5

30 minutes ago, pcrum said:

Also make sure to bring any feminine items you might need.  On our last cruise, we came across a woman in the MSC private island gift shop looking for tampons.  They didn't carry them.  She indicated that the ship giftshop on the ship (Divina) also did not have them.  

As others have indicated, any OTC meds are also important.  The selection in the gift shops on the ship are very sparse and expensive.  Not every port has a CVS within easy access.

You are exactly right. You would think it would be easy to get otc meds at ports. Some pharmacies put them under the control of the pharmacist. There were times even the pharmacist didn't know the equivalent. My dh has has a bronchial and ain't infection for the past few days onboard right now. Despite having proper antibiotics and meds he has needed two trips to the medical center. Both doctors were competent and the last gave him a steroid shot and breathing treatment. Lots of bronchitis on the ship. 

Also, ALL the onboard shops were close on the NCL epic this past November. They were changing vendors. Ships were totally empty for five days and no otc meds were available in the shops. You never know what you will encounter. Life isn't easy in many parts of the world.

59 minutes ago, Longstockingpippi1 said:

You are thinking of the adapter 👍. A converters converts the electricity voltage from say us/ Europe. I was curious about it because I read that most of the time a voltage converted is not needed, especially on a cruise ship. 

Yes your correct, it's an adapter. I wasn't able to edit my post

1 hour ago, ggTexasGal said:

If I were you, I would take some important things like OTC meds, Insect wipes, and Sunscreen.

I definitely have that plus a fully stocked medical bag (OTCs, Paxlovid, z-pack, nose spray, etc.). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Almost forgot my Apple AirTags..... Love them, actually helped me find one of our bags after it was placed in the wrong color section

I have 4 ready to go. Thanks for the reminder to add them to my list! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wcook said:

Quick tip: if you bring less stuff, you need less “stuff that holds other stuff.”

I’m definitely not a light packer. Lol. We bring 3 twenty five inch suitcases and 3 carryons for the 4 of us but the good news is that I have never not had enough space in the cabin. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kh6275 said:

I’m definitely not a light packer. Lol. We bring 3 twenty five inch suitcases and 3 carryons for the 4 of us but the good news is that I have never not had enough space in the cabin. 

Have a great cruise. 

• Like 2