details on the Ice Bar?

rjm11

1 hour ago, rjm11 said:

We will be on the Breakaway in a couple months, and I see they have an Ice Bar. What are the details? Cost? Timing? Can my teenaged children check it out too or is it only a Vodka thing?

It is like walking into an oversized freezer--- very cold.  They do provide parkas to wear.  I believe it is only open certain hours in the evening.  I think there is a charge for it.  Not sure about kids-- you can ask.

Check your Freestyle Daily for more information or ask one of the bartenders next door to the Ice Bar.

1 hour ago, rjm11 said:

We will be on the Breakaway in a couple months, and I see they have an Ice Bar. What are the details? Cost? Timing? Can my teenaged children check it out too or is it only a Vodka thing?

$15 per person. As a group, you will get a hooded pancho to wear. You go into the Ice Bar which the bar and furnishing are all made of ice. The cups are made of ice. There are non-alcoholic drinks for the kids. You can hang in there as long as you want (gets cold) taking pictures sitting on ice chairs, etc. 

Example time from the Breakaway last year

image.thumb.png.ea9bf5e6b846479fb4b6d1c07a0c15bd.png

We did the Ice Bar on the Getaway last July.  We paid $18 a person which gets you two drinks while in the bar.  It is cold.  I thought "no big deal" but was really ready to leave after 10 minutes.  You can take pictures of yourself behind the bar and around the room.

Pretty neat experience but I think I am one and done.  Drinks were strong but small.  Expect to tip the bartender some cash for helping with pictures etc.  Everything is ice including the seats.

They take reservations and it does fill up.  It is only open later in the evening.  Best to make reservations well ahead of time (while on board).

• Like 2

If you've never worked in a restaurant, grocery store, or other facility with a large walk-in freezer then I suppose you may enjoy the Ice Bar. If you've thrown a jacket on to toss boxes to make room for inventory, then you know what it's like...minus the boozy drinks.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

If you've never worked in a restaurant, grocery store, or other facility with a large walk-in freezer then I suppose you may enjoy the Ice Bar. If you've thrown a jacket on to toss boxes to make room for inventory, then you know what it's like...minus the boozy drinks.

Been there.  Done that.  Grocery store.  Frozen turkeys for thanksgiving.

• Haha 2

Its a great photo op.   Its something I have done twice but probably would not do again.  But I always enjoyed the experience.  I like to stay in as long as I can.  Usually people run in for the photo-op and want to run out after having one drink.  They would give me their extra ticket and I would have 4 vodka drinks.  If you stay in for awhile its very exhilarating when you come out because your body temp has dropped.  There used to be ice furniture inside where you could sit down but I dont think that exists anymore.  If you have never done it before, its worth it and makes for some fun photos and stories for later. IMHO everyone must do an ICE Bar at least once.

5 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Or a rare books library. 🙂

• Thanks 1

When I went about a year ago, they had no issue with pouring as many drinks as we wanted for the length we spent in there. Was probably there an hour or so and can’t remember how many drinks I had, a fair amount for sure. I remember the hazelnut being my favorite and got some fun photos out of it. Worth it to me, and would do again with friends. 

4 hours ago, PATRLR said:

I'll be working outside this weekend in the Northeast.  Saturday wind chills expected to be in the -40 to -60 Fahrenheit range.   Ice bar on vacation?  No thanks.

Exactly...I live in Minnesota. I cruise to get away from this sh...tuff!