New York excursions for overnight calls

dbjhughes

According to the 2025 preview, Queen Anne will be stopping overnight in New York on that year‘s World Cruise. Presumably for operational requirements, QM2 offers rather standard and brief shore excursions for its turnaround days in New York. Can more far-flung shore excursions be expected on an overnight call, e.g. Philadelphia, Washington DC? Can anyone report on whether anything beyond the usual Manhattan-based excursions was offered during Queen Vic‘s overnight call there at the start of this year’s World Cruise? Many thanks.

I would think if you want an excursion outside NYC, it would need to be independent.  If I were to visit Phila. or Washington I would take the train, in particular AMTRAK Acela.  Whether you chose to stay overnight in those places would depend on what you wanted to see.  EM

Washington would be a real stretch - you need to figure on about six hours from/to the ship each way by train and four hours if by flying. It would barely get you a few hours there. Philadelphia offers more possibility, but it seems insane to prefer all that travel time over coming up with a few ideas for spending time in New York City.  

I live in Philly, and I have often gone into NYC for the day--about two hours max each way--Amtrak is more costly than the reliable Greyhound bus, another option, but car traffic can be risky. 

I also used to go to DC just for the day--another two hour train trip each way from Philly. I would NEVER take a car or bus to DC--the car traffic can double the commute. Do not try to fly--not worth it;--the train is the fastest.

I would HIGHLY doubt that Cunard would ever create a visit Philly for the day excursion, and DC would be just about impossible. You could potentially arrange coming here independently, but you would need to have the logistics down perfectly.  You would probably just want to see our historic area--Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, Betsy Ross and Ben Franklin houses, etc.  BUT, depending on time of year there could be lines and/or limited opening hours.

I will say when I am in NYC I usually walk at least thirty or more blocks, mainly shopping.

Are you bored seeing NYC?  Have you climbed the Statue of Liberty, seen too many Broadway shows, walked too much through the many museums? What about tea at the Plaza? Ice-skating at Rockefeller Center (time of year dependent)? Have you ever made it to the Cloisters? We love the Hudson Valley, and swing by there often on drives up North.  The Sleepy Hollow/Tarrytown area is just so quaint, and we have visited all the great historic homes there.  Another option is that everybody who is anybody heads out to the Hamptons, but time of year again will have an impact.

I do not know where you are from, and although I love Philly, I would not try to make it a one-day port call instead of impressive NYC, and DC is just too far, with too much to see and do for one day.

Of course, there have been times the ships have been late, and the turn-around time was quite limited, so that is something to consider if trying to do an independent excursion.

Have fun planning!

• Like 2

Many thanks for your replies. Of course one could never get bored of NYC, but as a Brit I have not yet got round to visiting Philadelphia or DC, whereas I have spent quite a bit of time in NYC, so I was wondering if an overnight stop in NYC on Queen Anne in 2025 will open up any options further afield. Anyone currently on Queen Vic care to comment on what was on offer during the overnight stop in NYC at the start of this year’s World Cruise?

7 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

I would think if you want an excursion outside NYC, it would need to be independent.  If I were to visit Phila. or Washington I would take the train, in particular AMTRAK Acela.  Whether you chose to stay overnight in those places would depend on what you wanted to see.  EM

And also on the weather. Train ride is at least 3 hours to DC. If the weather closed in you would be in real trouble.

• Like 1

I think staying around NYC and doing your own excursion would make the most sense.  NYC is easy to do on your own.  Depending on when you get in you could do Philadelphia for a day on your own however it is significant travel time each way so it may not be worth it.

On 2/2/2023 at 3:08 AM, ace2542 said:

And also on the weather. Train ride is at least 3 hours to DC. If the weather closed in you would be in real trouble.

By the time you considered the time (to/from) BCT to Penn Station in NY, the waiting time to board trains,  and the time (to/from)  Union Station to what you wanted to see/do in DC you are talking about 12 or so travel hours for that overnight jaunt>

No one can get from BCT to any place worth being in DC in anything like 3 hours.

Edited by navybankerteacher