Tap Portugal

cruisin73

5 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

I'm extremely happy to hear this.  We are heded out on a long trip in a couple of weeks...Flying to Rio de Janeiro and doing a 13 night Transatlantic on Celebrity Infinity, ending in Lisbon,,,we spend a few days there, then fly to Barcelona to catch the Symphony of the Seas, then home from there.  We booked the LAX-Rio and the Barcelona-LAX legs on CelebrityAir/RCCL Air2Sea, but the options they had for Lisbon to BCN were a little crazy and way overpriced--and all needed to change planes in Madrid.

I found a flight on TAP--direct Lisbon to BCN, less than 2 hours, 23 kg of luggage each included, for $76 US per person...less than a third of what we were looking at through the cruise lines...and saving us several hours...

Hopefully, our experience will be as good as yours. 

Book it!  That's a good price and TAP is pretty good.  

Do it soon as prices seem to be going up and up.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to add a cautionary note for those traveling in economy or the economy comfort (more legroom) seats.  I booked and reserved seats months ago. From my city to Lisbon TAP has been using the 321 neos (but not those marked LR) and there is no change that I know of for my flight, although of course anything can happen.  Periodically I've checked to make sure my seats didn't change as I read on Flyer Talk site that this sometimes happens, and not just once in a blue moon.  I don't care about my 2 flights within Europe, but I don't want to spend 7 or 8 hours in a cramped economy seat flying across the Atlantic.  Now, several weeks pre-flight, I found that my carefully chosen seat on one transatlantic flight had been changed (by the computer, apparently) to a middle seat.  It was also away from my spouse.  So I was flying in between two strangers in a different row.  At this late date, the comfort seats were down to 4, including 1 aisle seat, 2 exit row premium seats (more $$, even with "plus" pricing, and even as described by the agent as less comfortable), plus I middle seat.  I know airlines that airlines can change planes (though it doesn't appear this was likely in my case) and that they sometimes block off seats for various reasons.  But I don't understand how someone was able to bump me out of that particular seat, if that's what actually happened (miles and go status?  seat reserved for crew?) -  the agent wouldn't or couldn't tell me.  And while TAP has a "family" policy that blocks the computer from making only one change to a "family" seating arrangement, this may have made my situation worse rather than better. 

In any case, if you're flying in economy or are not willing to fly in a middle seat away from your travel partner, I'd check your seats frequently.  And as for bidding for business class, I have tried, and will continue to try to do that.  But now planes are running very full and it's likely not working out for many people who try it.  I checked availability on Expert Flyer, and it appears there are only 2 unbooked seats on my flight, so I doubt I'll get anything out of bidding.  If you want and can afford business, I'd definitely suggest booking business.

22 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Just wanted to add a cautionary note for those traveling in economy or the economy comfort (more legroom) seats.  I booked and reserved seats months ago. From my city to Lisbon TAP has been using the 321 neos (but not those marked LR) and there is no change that I know of for my flight, although of course anything can happen.  Periodically I've checked to make sure my seats didn't change as I read on Flyer Talk site that this sometimes happens, and not just once in a blue moon.  I don't care about my 2 flights within Europe, but I don't want to spend 7 or 8 hours in a cramped economy seat flying across the Atlantic.  Now, several weeks pre-flight, I found that my carefully chosen seat on one transatlantic flight had been changed (by the computer, apparently) to a middle seat.  It was also away from my spouse.  So I was flying in between two strangers in a different row.  At this late date, the comfort seats were down to 4, including 1 aisle seat, 2 exit row premium seats (more $$, even with "plus" pricing, and even as described by the agent as less comfortable), plus I middle seat.  I know airlines that airlines can change planes (though it doesn't appear this was likely in my case) and that they sometimes block off seats for various reasons.  But I don't understand how someone was able to bump me out of that particular seat, if that's what actually happened (miles and go status?  seat reserved for crew?) -  the agent wouldn't or couldn't tell me.  And while TAP has a "family" policy that blocks the computer from making only one change to a "family" seating arrangement, this may have made my situation worse rather than better. 

In any case, if you're flying in economy or are not willing to fly in a middle seat away from your travel partner, I'd check your seats frequently.  And as for bidding for business class, I have tried, and will continue to try to do that.  But now planes are running very full and it's likely not working out for many people who try it.  I checked availability on Expert Flyer, and it appears there are only 2 unbooked seats on my flight, so I doubt I'll get anything out of bidding.  If you want and can afford business, I'd definitely suggest booking business.

We recently flew TAP, Boston to Lisbon [321 LR Neo] and Rome to Lisbon [320 Neo] and returning Lisbon to Boston on 321 LR Neo. The web site never indicated LR, though using TAP's web site, which I do not like, I could see the seat selection was LR for the trans Atlantic portion. Now for my less than happy comments about TAP......and overall not all TAP issues.

Nobody at the TAP check in window when we arrived at Logan, standing in line for 40 minutes. There were older folks here who needed wheel chair assist. Quite a few of us kept asking for this to help them.  Finally two TAP check in people show up two hours pre flight. Cold greeting, took our luggage and handed us the boarding passes. Terminal C at Logan is also Jet Blue and security with pre-check is fast.  Stopped at the small Lounge, limited seating, so I grabbed a few cookies and left.

Very disorganized boarding the plane, an hour into the flight and we were served a meal that resembled ravioli glued together with school paste [and I'm not food fussy]. One glass of wine and I went to sleep. My sister said in economy plus she rang for a flight attendant  to request water - and was given one of those bathroom plastic cups with water in it.  Before landing in the wee hours, nobody got any coffee or light breakfast! Off the plane, down a flight of metal steps and onto a bus to take us to the terminal to go through immigration and collect our luggage. From there on, nothng but positive things as we were in Lisbon, got to check into the hotel at 5:30 AM and sleep. Beautiful hotel for 2 nights, private tours, great food, etc., all part of our Azamara adventure. At breakfast in the hotel, the only comments from our group of 16, was "never again with TAP."  

24 hours before our return flight, I checked in using the TAP app. It worked. We got to Rome, driver let us off at T3, even though we should be at T1, he told us to walk! Azamara will hear about that... Walked and walked, pushed luggage carts and got to our check in window which was empty. Nobody was there, no signs indicating when personnel would arrive, so we stood in line for close to an hour.  similar, cold reception, "passport and here's your boarding pass" so much for friendly customer relations! We followed the signs to security, we has "priority"  which took longer than regular security. Found our gate area, and a candy shop that looked promising. DH went in search of coffee only to be told he had to preorder using the QR codes on the tables.....so he walked away as the pick up line was some 20 people deep.  We all bought water at one of the shops as we anticipated the need for hydration on our flight.  Time to get into another line, 2 elderly pasengers were left seated, inspite of written wheel chair requests. Only 1 wheel chair, so the couple had to wait longer.

Got onto that flight, DH and I were in row 2,  and rolling our eyes at the "exec" ambiance. No TV's....haven't flown in a plane like that in some 30 years!  Once we leveled off, leaving some 40 minutes late, we were served the pre-odered meal - I think it was the left over pasta from our earlier flight, now tainted with green food coloring. At least the warm bread was nice.  A glass of wine and I nodded off. Stadium benches are more comfortable....really.

Once back in Lisbon, we had to do passport control [nobody said the TAP lounge was before passport control and our connecting gate was a long walk form there].  We found a place to grab a bit of local food near gate 44A, buy more water and have a stiff drink. Now to head to the gate where we were again checked by an agent who put another sticker on the outside of our passport. Hand luggage was being put on a scale - TAP's  weight and size rules apply to some, not all - we got into the priority line, and my siter and her friend into the economy line. Her friend's hand luggage was taken as "gate check" because it was a full flight, not due to weight. Yet others were able to take on two rather large size pieces.... Down a ramp, stairs and out a door to a bus where we waited about 15 minutes and then for a 10-15 minute ride across the tramac, along a roadway to our plane. The truck with the hand luggage was ahead of the bus, weaving around with baggage  flying off it. The bus driver kept honking his horn as if that would help. We had to climb the metal stairs to get onto the plane, no jet way this far from the airport.  DH and I each had row 2 thrown seats, hey, a water bottle! And so we sat and sat, no explanation until the pilot came on some half hour after our anticipated take off time saying "logistics and air traffic" and we wait another 35 minutes. Really could have use a glass of wine [oh, I miss BA and Virgin even premium economy plus gets  beverage before take off].

Finally take off, got a bag of mixed nuts and two glasses of wine. I ordered lamb chops, fair for airline food. DH was happy to try the octopus salad appetizer, not me. More wine and the warm bread was good. 7.5 hour flight, watched a movie, tried to sleep 'flat" with seatbelt and harness was bit of a challenge, shorlty before landing some 2 hours late, we did get a light snack [not sure what it was so I only ate the fresh fruit slices] and coffee. Our limo driver was waiting for us by the Welcome to Boston sign. 

If we  return to Lisbon area, we will sriously consider flying to DUB or LHR non-stop or other country and then connect onto Lisbon, not the best option as it adds travel time, but it won't be with TAP. 

In the end, we all agreed the best memories are those we shared on our cruise. Hoping you have a better experience than we did with TAP. Sorry this is so long. 

Darcy

Edited by WatchHill

8 minutes ago, WatchHill said:

DH and I each had row 2 thrown seats

What is a "thrown" seat?

Seriously - we flew TAP once last summer Oslo to Lisbon to San Francisco in Business Class.  We had none of the issues you had so I would presume we were incredibly lucky for certain.  Water, food, and lines are everywhere, which is why we always bring our own (including empty water bottles).  Note that pretty much all European airlines bus class seats intra-Europe are not real bus seats, but still better than economy.  We loved the lie flat seats and slept so well.  We had sparkling wine when in our seats ahead of us leaving Lisbon as the wait was about 40 minutes.  The checkin people at Oslo and at Lisbon were quite nice, helpful, and friendly.  (again, we were obviously quite lucky - but who is to know what the norm is).  In Lisbon we checked in 4 hours ahead of time and had a wonderful time at the TAP club. (yes, the downside is you still have to go through passport control afterwards - but that is not TAP, that is in our experience true for just about every airline club in European airports).    Lisbon airport is overcrowded and nearly ALL airlines, not just TAP wind up having to park on the tarmak and have passengers take buses from/to the terminal.  The buses were quite nice and efficient.  Our boarding process was remarkably well handled and efficient, even given the terminal buses required.  Again, I guess we were lucky.

Just wanted to provide an alternate universe experience for those that read this post.

5 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

What is a "thrown" seat?

Seriously - we flew TAP once last summer Oslo to Lisbon to San Francisco in Business Class.  We had none of the issues you had so I would presume we were incredibly lucky for certain.  Water, food, and lines are everywhere, which is why we always bring our own (including empty water bottles).  Note that pretty much all European airlines bus class seats intra-Europe are not real bus seats, but still better than economy.  We loved the lie flat seats and slept so well.  We had sparkling wine when in our seats ahead of us leaving Lisbon as the wait was about 40 minutes.  The checkin people at Oslo and at Lisbon were quite nice, helpful, and friendly.  (again, we were obviously quite lucky - but who is to know what the norm is).  In Lisbon we checked in 4 hours ahead of time and had a wonderful time at the TAP club. (yes, the downside is you still have to go through passport control afterwards - but that is not TAP, that is in our experience true for just about every airline club in European airports).    Lisbon airport is overcrowded and nearly ALL airlines, not just TAP wind up having to park on the tarmak and have passengers take buses from/to the terminal.  The buses were quite nice and efficient.  Our boarding process was remarkably well handled and efficient, even given the terminal buses required.  Again, I guess we were lucky.

Just wanted to provide an alternate universe experience for those that read this post.

The 321 LR have first row 2x2 seating, second row has a single seat on each side, then next row is 2x2 and row 4 is another "thrown" - great for those who fly without a partner, but that was the closest we could get to each other when doing seat selection. We have friends who fly TAP and had positive experiences even in basic economy. Our entire group and our TA who was with us, flying BOS to LIS, all had similar negative experiences. I wonder if the "work stoppage"  of ITA and a few other labor issues all contributed to the problems. When we were waiting to board our Rome to Lisbon flight, we found ourselves standing in the jet way for about 15 minutes - seems they were still cleaning the plane. Some in our group remained in Rome for 3 extra days, and are heading back today.  

3 hours ago, WatchHill said:

The 321 LR have first row 2x2 seating, second row has a single seat on each side, then next row is 2x2 and row 4 is another "thrown" - great for those who fly without a partner, but that was the closest we could get to each other when doing seat selection. We have friends who fly TAP and had positive experiences even in basic economy. Our entire group and our TA who was with us, flying BOS to LIS, all had similar negative experiences. I wonder if the "work stoppage"  of ITA and a few other labor issues all contributed to the problems. When we were waiting to board our Rome to Lisbon flight, we found ourselves standing in the jet way for about 15 minutes - seems they were still cleaning the plane. Some in our group remained in Rome for 3 extra days, and are heading back today.  

Thanks!  Will look for those "thrown" seats!

Wife and I are not as concerned if we don't sit together in business, but in economy for us it is a must, since you otherwise may both be rubbing elbows, shoulders and who knows what else with the stranger next to you!

So I'm thinking I may be flying once and done on TAP, but we're in their version of Economy Plus rather than business class (which they call Excecutive).  But we'll see.  I did like their stopover.  And traveling in April, the nonstops to Barcelona simply didn't exist, so we took what we could get.  We only fly business once in a while (way too expensive for us) so we're almost used to some of the things that have been mentioned, so it may not be as bad as I'm kind of expecting   For example, in Europe it's not uncommon for a plane to load passengers on the tarmac, and if there's no water except in a cup before the trays come out in economy, we'll deal with that.  As for the food in economy, I think we'll eat before boarding the plane and then go to sleep.  If I can, I'll bring a few packaged snacks to eat in the morning.  

But their website is definitely flaky.  Once in a while it simply refuses to show me a seat plan.  And you have to click a lot of buttons to see your seat numbers.  And this isn't the website, but the agent I called told me they couldn't put my PreCheck number in.  (Watch Hill, were you able to do that?  I know Portugal doesn't use PreCheck.  But we're boarding in a U.S. airport, so I would at least like to (hopefully, anyway) get to go through the PreCheck lines).  And I've requested a wheelchair in Lisbon airport.  Hope they're not scarce. 

At this point, I'm just happy that TAP workers aren't striking right now, as a while ago I read that a strike was planned for part of his week and next. 

On 2/14/2023 at 10:08 AM, WatchHill said:

With TAP, the planes associated with specific flights, are not in the seat guru system. When I booked our flights, the TAP seat maps on the 321neo were no way like the guru site.  Yes, its a good site to read about specific seats and which ones are a problem due to location, food/beverage service and overall satisfaction & comfort. DH and I each have a "lay flat throne seat" but seat guru only shows 3/3 seating in Execuitive class. 

The economy comfort do recline, but not flat.

Darcy

I found seatguru of limited help on TAP.  But there's also aerolopa.com.  It seems to show things more clearly.

15 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

So I'm thinking I may be flying once and done on TAP, but we're in their version of Economy Plus rather than business class (which they call Excecutive).  But we'll see.  I did like their stopover.  And traveling in April, the nonstops to Barcelona simply didn't exist, so we took what we could get.  We only fly business once in a while (way too expensive for us) so we're almost used to some of the things that have been mentioned, so it may not be as bad as I'm kind of expecting   For example, in Europe it's not uncommon for a plane to load passengers on the tarmac, and if there's no water except in a cup before the trays come out in economy, we'll deal with that.  As for the food in economy, I think we'll eat before boarding the plane and then go to sleep.  If I can, I'll bring a few packaged snacks to eat in the morning.  

But their website is definitely flaky.  Once in a while it simply refuses to show me a seat plan.  And you have to click a lot of buttons to see your seat numbers.  And this isn't the website, but the agent I called told me they couldn't put my PreCheck number in.  (Watch Hill, were you able to do that?  I know Portugal doesn't use PreCheck.  But we're boarding in a U.S. airport, so I would at least like to (hopefully, anyway) get to go through the PreCheck lines).  And I've requested a wheelchair in Lisbon airport.  Hope they're not scarce. 

At this point, I'm just happy that TAP workers aren't striking right now, as a while ago I read that a strike was planned for part of his week and next. 

Pre check is for the USA, expedited lane through security. We also have Global Entry which is a BIG plus upon return to the USA. Walking off the plane to the digital entry kiosks, facial recognition and scan passport, print an awful picture of each of us and then hand the pix to an immigrtion officer and onto baggage claim. I turned around and looked at the long, long lines of passerngers waiting to enter and recall being in a similar line years ago. 

Based on prior flights outisde of the USA, any expedited security seems to be associated with flying premium - that's what we got when going through secondary screening in Lisbon, though I could see that all the security lanes were well organized and there was a digital sign indication the wait time - all of 2 minutes!

Putting redress or Global numbers into TAP was a challenge. Our TA said when she tried to put in her husband's the "save" kept spinning. Somehow on our return flight confirmation, I was able to enter DH's Global number, but it refused to take mine - and in the end, it didn't matter. 

One fun thing at LIS airport is the Sardine Store!  Seriously, DH was drawn into the shop and HAD to purchase an assortment of canned sardines. 

Darcy