Tap Portugal

cruisin73

3 hours ago, cruisin73 said:

Has anyone flown on Tap Portugal?  Air2Sea came back with a flight with this carrier but I've never heard of them.

Yes.  Flew them from Lisbon to San Francisco non-stop last summer.  Very very good.  Food exceptional, service also.  Very helpful and friendly.  Was on their new A321neo - nice plane too.  Pleasant flight - and yes, no luggage lost for us either!

The name stands for Portuguese Aereal Transportation (Transportes Aéreos Portugueses) and the company was founded all the way back in 1945. The company quickly started operating international flights. In fact, its inaugural flight took place back in September of 1945 from Lisbon to Madrid.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruisin73 said:

Has anyone flown on Tap Portugal?  Air2Sea came back with a flight with this carrier but I've never heard of them.

Flew them from Quebec to Lisbon pre covid.  Excellent airline, service, food, etc....  The only problem was we had to change planes in New Jersey...that airport was a nightmare. 

I should have booked last night with Tap air today price went up so it was back to the drawing board.  I ended up booking with United out of Newark on a direct flight both ways. We do have to leave a few days early and come home the day after the cruise but I figure that just gives us more time to explore Barcelona and not be in such a rush to see everything. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2023 at 9:03 PM, doones2 said:

Glad to hear positive reviews on TAP.  We booked our flight from Boston to Barcelona.  It will be a new airplane for us also.

We'll be flying TAP BOS to LIS in March '23.  TAP leaves from Terminal C in BOS, not the international terminal. However return is through Terminal E. Not a fan of their web site or App, but the planes are relatively new narrow body.  When I reserved our seating, the configuration was different on each flight segment. We return via Rome  on a 320 neo to LIS and then transfer to 321 neo for the trans Atlantic.

Darcy

Our flights are Boston to Lisbon then on to Barcelona.  Reverse going home.  Thank you for the terminal information.  We will also be flying 320neo and 321neo.  My daughter booked our seats.  Worried about the seats flying to Lisbon from Boston.  She booked the seats in front of the exit row seats.  I hope they recline.

18 hours ago, doones2 said:

Our flights are Boston to Lisbon then on to Barcelona.  Reverse going home.  Thank you for the terminal information.  We will also be flying 320neo and 321neo.  My daughter booked our seats.  Worried about the seats flying to Lisbon from Boston.  She booked the seats in front of the exit row seats.  I hope they recline.

The row of seats in front of any exit row have limited recline; this applies to TAP as well as other airlines. Any chance your daughter can go back into the booking and change those seats?  Economy comfort plus seating have a bit better recline, but only Execuitive Class are full recline on the 321neoLR.  Our seats on the 320, though Execuitive from Rome to LIS, are nothing more than standard seats with nobody seated in between. OK for a shorter flight, but anything over the Atlantic, especially flying at night, I want to be able to sleep in relative comfort. 

Whenever we book air, we avoid booking ahead of the exit rows, proximity to lavs or food venues, too. 

Darcy

We do have economy comfort seats.  She called and talk to a representative from TAP and was told those seats recline.  We will take our chances.   I am not a comfortable flyer so I would never fall asleep even if it is overnight.😄

11 hours ago, sailing canary said:

If you go to       

www.seatguru.com, there are comments and advice on each and every seat on every airline you might have to travel on!

With TAP, the planes associated with specific flights, are not in the seat guru system. When I booked our flights, the TAP seat maps on the 321neo were no way like the guru site.  Yes, its a good site to read about specific seats and which ones are a problem due to location, food/beverage service and overall satisfaction & comfort. DH and I each have a "lay flat throne seat" but seat guru only shows 3/3 seating in Execuitive class. 

The economy comfort do recline, but not flat.

Darcy

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone is still reading this thread, I'd love to ask a question of those who are knowledgeable about TAP:  Do you know anything about the bidding for an Executive seat?  I'm flying from DC to Lisbon in Economy Comfort.  I'm wondering if I should bid for a vacant seat, and if so, how much I should bid. 

And for anyone who has flown in the past month or two, I'd love to hear what you thought of TAP.

For people looking for seat plans, I've found that, in general, Aerolopa.com and ExpertFlyer.com are good sites to check.  They don't always indicate toilets, exits, etc. but at least give you more than what's on the TAP website when you book a flight.

On 3/13/2023 at 5:29 PM, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

If anyone is still reading this thread, I'd love to ask a question of those who are knowledgeable about TAP:  Do you know anything about the bidding for an Executive seat?  I'm flying from DC to Lisbon in Economy Comfort.  I'm wondering if I should bid for a vacant seat, and if so, how much I should bid. 

And for anyone who has flown in the past month or two, I'd love to hear what you thought of TAP.

For people looking for seat plans, I've found that, in general, Aerolopa.com and ExpertFlyer.com are good sites to check.  They don't always indicate toilets, exits, etc. but at least give you more than what's on the TAP website when you book a flight.

We used TAP last summer to fly from Lisbon to San Francisco on their new A321 neo jets.  We bought Business Class as we didn't want to take a chance.  Good decision as it was packed.  

We had an excellent trip.  TAP was very efficient at check-in and loading the plane.  The flight was on time and very good food and service.  We plan to use them again!

2 hours ago, Yowman said:

I've only flown TAP in business class.  Intra-Europe was similar to other European carriers.  Transatlantic is very good.

We also flew TAP in business class.  Intra-Europe was better than expected, as was the quite nice flight and service from Lisbon to San Francisco on the newer A321 neo.   That flight was a dream.

We are doing TAP again at end of this year.

IMG_9089.thumb.jpg.f4304561d9d58ba4e59c76169972639b.jpgIMG_9085Menu.thumb.jpg.32df10ee12528f781b66eb6f24a3ed5b.jpgIMG_9104.thumb.jpg.94a8c19bfb51a55496dae4120e0844d2.jpgIMG_9105.thumb.jpg.7f592a551b9872d0bec46bda1e0d7f17.jpg

16 minutes ago, voyager1964 said:

Could anybody comment on TAP carry on policy? There are horror stories about flight attendants demanding checking all cabin luggage, even in the business class...

We never saw this happen.  We had cabin luggage and stowed it just fine.  Never heard that story before.  Perhaps it applies to the very small planes however.  We had plenty of space in business class, above and below.

12 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

We never saw this happen.

Glad to hear that! The "rumors" are actually reports on Tripadvisor - you will find many such stories by searching e.g., for "carry on" in TAP Portugal reviews...

On 3/15/2023 at 1:54 PM, erby2283 said:

We used TAP from Barcelona to Lisbon for a few days post cruise. Seemed to be very efficient. Short flight but everything went off without a hitch. 

I'm extremely happy to hear this.  We are heded out on a long trip in a couple of weeks...Flying to Rio de Janeiro and doing a 13 night Transatlantic on Celebrity Infinity, ending in Lisbon,,,we spend a few days there, then fly to Barcelona to catch the Symphony of the Seas, then home from there.  We booked the LAX-Rio and the Barcelona-LAX legs on CelebrityAir/RCCL Air2Sea, but the options they had for Lisbon to BCN were a little crazy and way overpriced--and all needed to change planes in Madrid.

I found a flight on TAP--direct Lisbon to BCN, less than 2 hours, 23 kg of luggage each included, for $76 US per person...less than a third of what we were looking at through the cruise lines...and saving us several hours...

Hopefully, our experience will be as good as yours. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

I'm extremely happy to hear this.  We are heded out on a long trip in a couple of weeks...Flying to Rio de Janeiro and doing a 13 night Transatlantic on Celebrity Infinity, ending in Lisbon,,,we spend a few days there, then fly to Barcelona to catch the Symphony of the Seas, then home from there.  We booked the LAX-Rio and the Barcelona-LAX legs on CelebrityAir/RCCL Air2Sea, but the options they had for Lisbon to BCN were a little crazy and way overpriced--and all needed to change planes in Madrid.

I found a flight on TAP--direct Lisbon to BCN, less than 2 hours, 23 kg of luggage each included, for $76 US per person...less than a third of what we were looking at through the cruise lines...and saving us several hours...

Hopefully, our experience will be as good as yours. 

Once you get to Europe, it’s pretty cheap to fly to most places within it. The hard part is getting there economically. Enjoy your trip. It sounds amazing!