Any news? Priscilla on Epic

Spriteshadow

It is not listed for our cruise -- February 26. You would think that if they were bringing something new in it would be announced/available for cruises. You are sailing two weeks after us. I don't think it takes much longer than that to get a new show up and running.

17 minutes ago, brookie848 said:

It is not listed for our cruise -- February 26. You would think that if they were bringing something new in it would be announced/available for cruises. You are sailing two weeks after us. I don't think it takes much longer than that to get a new show up and running.

It normally takes several months to install a new show.

They have to disassemble and remove all of the Pricilla scenery and props (including the 1500 lb treadmills and the bus). There is no space to have two sets of sets backstage on a cruise ship. Everything has to be broken down to fit on pallets that can be moved through the ship's cargo doors. 

Then bring on the sets for the new show and assemble them. All of those beautiful sets that are the height of the stage all have to fit through the ship's cargo doors (or they would have to cut the hull open during a dry dock,,, which they have in the past). 

Somewhere, someone threw out the idea that SIX would replace Pricilla. SIX has fairly simple sets and a giant video wall, so it would be quicker to get those sets on the ship.  

Then, program the lighting and sound for the show while the new cast rehearses onboard for a few weeks (esp if they are still working out set movements). 

Putting on a stage show is a little more than hiring a magician to do a few tricks on stage. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

They have to disassemble and remove all of the Pricilla scenery and props (including the 1500 lb treadmills and the bus). There is no space to have two sets of sets backstage on a cruise ship. Everything has to be broken down to fit on pallets that can be moved through the ship's cargo doors. 

Then bring on the sets for the new show and assemble them. All of those beautiful sets that are the height of the stage all have to fit through the ship's cargo doors (or they would have to cut the hull open during a dry dock,,, which they have in the past). 

Somewhere, someone threw out the idea that SIX would replace Pricilla. SIX has fairly simple sets and a giant video wall, so it would be quicker to get those sets on the ship.  

Then, program the lighting and sound for the show while the new cast rehearses onboard for a few weeks (esp if they are still working out set movements). 

Putting on a stage show is a little more than hiring a magician to do a few tricks on stage. 

I understand the logistics, but I seem to recall that show changes didn't take this long in the past. Going three to four months with only one show option on the Epic is not the greatest. I'm sure they'll have something else in the theater, but it won't be on the same level as Priscilla.

The entertainment on the Epic is just lacking. The are only three things listed -- Burn the Floor, Howl and the Moon, and Cavern Club. That pales in comparison to my first trip on the ship which had Blue Man Group, Legends, and the Cirque show in the Spiegel Tent. Is the Spiegel Tent even being used any more?

This is by no means a deal breaker for me, but it is a disappointment.

1 hour ago, brookie848 said:

I understand the logistics, but I seem to recall that show changes didn't take this long in the past. Going three to four months with only one show option on the Epic is not the greatest. I'm sure they'll have something else in the theater, but it won't be on the same level as Priscilla.

The entertainment on the Epic is just lacking. The are only three things listed -- Burn the Floor, Howl and the Moon, and Cavern Club. That pales in comparison to my first trip on the ship which had Blue Man Group, Legends, and the Cirque show in the Spiegel Tent. Is the Spiegel Tent even being used any more?

This is by no means a deal breaker for me, but it is a disappointment.

And for us, Burn the Floor is an one and done show so we will not be seeing it when we sail the Epic in March.   

We sail on Sunday…yay!  Yes, we are disappointed that Priscilla will not be on board.  We’ve enjoyed great performances on our last cruises.  Blazing Boots, Elements, SIX (2x), Burn the Floor, Jersey, Boys…all top notch.  Als, this will be a switch for us…our previous post-pandemic cruises were 38-83% occupancy.  38% was like a ghost ship.  60% was perfect.  85% was still ok.  This cruise is sold out!!  Hopefully our prior cruises have given us the tips/tricks to navigate the crowd.  All that being said, we are still grateful to be getting away and I am thrilled to not be preparing meals and doing dishes.  And DH is happy someone else is making the bed.  And…we’re escaping the dull-drums of January for a sunny, hot, humid🤔location. I’ll post back what theater entertainment is…and on what nights.

• Like 4

Just off on Jan 29, sadly the quantity and quality of entertainment on Epic was not epic. One production , Burn the Floor, then game shows and a singer or two. Two nights of Beatles, but at full capacity you need to line up an hour or more if lucky enough to be seated. Unfortunately for wife and I , one an octogenarian and the other nearly so our legs would not support us for the wait. Entertainment in Maltings and Shakers was ok, but all they know is loud, forget conversation when performing.

Edited by poppy jalopy

39 minutes ago, poppy jalopy said:

Just off on Jan 29, sadly the quantity and quality of entertainment on Epic was not epic. One production , Burn the Floor, then game shows and a singer or two. Two nights of Beatles, but at full capacity you need to line up an hour or more if lucky enough to be seated. Unfortunately for wife and I , one an octogenarian and the other nearly so our legs would not support us for the wait. Entertainment in Maltings and Shakers was ok, but all they know is loud, forget conversation when performing.

35 minutes ago, bradmiller1231 said:

got off Jan 29. really sad there was no more Priscilla. BUrn the Floor (same show 4 times) , a vocalist, and Beatles were in the theatre. From my experience, this was a cruise lacking in the usual NCL talent assortment. A big disappointment.

Thank you both for reporting on the lack of entertainment on your sailing.   

Other than the entertainment, did you find everything else up to standard?

Do either of you have the dailies showing the entertainment schedule?

• Thanks 1

On 2/2/2023 at 9:08 PM, BirdTravels said:

My understanding from one of the behind the scenes tours was that new shows are worked out on-shore where they have replicas of the ship stage and when the cast moves on-board it’s only a few days rehearsal. I was two sailings where new show casts arrived and in both cases their show was scheduled for the back end of the cruise (7day). 
However moving all the stage stuff into place may take a little longer and it seems like Priscilla has a particularly awkward set to get off the ship which is why it remained on Epic as long as it did.  Chances are it’ll be chorus of Man or Six that will replace it, or something else relatively easy to setup. 

On 2/3/2023 at 4:23 PM, eileeshb said:

However moving all the stage stuff into place may take a little longer and it seems like Priscilla has a particularly awkward set to get off the ship which is why it remained on Epic as long as it did.  

Priscilla debuted in October 2015 (we were there for the opening show). It was contracted for a 5-year run, which put it late 2020/early 2021... but there was another "event" that shut things down during that period. So, it is at about it's 5-year contract run now. 

On 2/2/2023 at 5:31 PM, brookie848 said:

During show turn overs/installs, there is always other entertainment. On most ships, it is like an a carpella group, or something with minimal staging and lighting. 

1 hour ago, FishTacosandMojitos said:

Just saw this on ig. Looks like we’re getting an Elton John tribute until the next show is installed. 0ABCF06A-249E-4920-B0D9-8925B4C7FA5D.thumb.jpeg.29deea120e3174bf2a40bad4b521bc40.jpeg

It says they have a 10 week contract which means they may be gone two weeks before we board.  

33 minutes ago, raitch said:

Do we know if the Elton John tribute group is replacing the Beatles tribute, or if both are playing for the next 10 weeks?

From what we've read, one of the Beatles tribute band was injured on one of the islands either last week, or the one prior, and have not played since.

14 minutes ago, kismet618 said:

From what we've read, one of the Beatles tribute band was injured on one of the islands either last week, or the one prior, and have not played since.

I had heard the same thing. I was wondering if maybe it was a long term injury and NCL decided to replace the whole act for a while.

4 minutes ago, raitch said:

I had heard the same thing. I was wondering if maybe it was a long term injury and NCL decided to replace the whole act for a while.

Just saw this from a review of someone just off the ship:

We saw Burn the Floor, well done if ballroom dancing excites you. The comedians were funny, we did not have the Beatles this week, I heard one of them was so drunk he pissed himself getting on so they were fired before they performed.

4 hours ago, FishTacosandMojitos said:

Just saw this on ig. Looks like we’re getting an Elton John tribute until the next show is installed. 0ABCF06A-249E-4920-B0D9-8925B4C7FA5D.thumb.jpeg.29deea120e3174bf2a40bad4b521bc40.jpeg

Thank you very much for posting this new information.  I would love the Elton John to be an addition and not a replacement for the Beatles show.