Refundable Deposit or NRD

I am looking to book a cruise with my TA and inquired about a group rate with a refundable deposit.  I usually book NRD and a balcony.  The TA told me the only available category with a group refundable deposit would be ocean view.  Since the cruise is so far out…March 2024 should I book the ocean view and as I get closer to final payment upgrade to balcony?  
Any advise would be appreciated.

2 hours ago, Orange jeep said:

I am looking to book a cruise with my TA and inquired about a group rate with a refundable deposit.  I usually book NRD and a balcony.  The TA told me the only available category with a group refundable deposit would be ocean view.  Since the cruise is so far out…March 2024 should I book the ocean view and as I get closer to final payment upgrade to balcony?  

If you want a balcony book it now under nrd.  Prices will likely only increase and if they do drop the TA can get a price match. 

9 hours ago, Orange jeep said:

It depends on how badly you want a balcony. Sure, book the OV in the group and hope the balcony prices are in the price range you want come final payment, but don't count on it. An even riskier bet is to count on getting a Royal Up at a reasonable price inside final payment.

8 hours ago, Spurschick said:

They can book what they want with TA just not under group rate.

My TA books me with the group rate and Refundable.  The deposit is larger however under the TA or at least is with the parent company she works for.

6 minutes ago, squadron said:

My TA books me with the group rate and Refundable.  The deposit is larger however under the TA or at least is with the parent company she works for.

Must be the TA.  Royal has the same deposit requirements for groups as they do with individual bookings.  The only exceptions are that the reduced deposits from next cruise bookings are not valid in groups and those must be brought up to full deposit requirements as well as solos must pay the full cabin deposit as opposed to a pp deposit

2 hours ago, moposh said:

How much are you saving on a group rate?

That varies and, on some sailings, the NRD is still cheaper. Though, you have to take into account the overall cost, like the NRD may be cheaper but you can't apply your balcony discount to it like you can on a group rate.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, squadron said:

The OP stated they wanted a balcony and the TA only had ocean view left at group rate. It is likely the TA already sold all the cabins they had for Balconies at Group Rate. 

Just now, Spurschick said:

The OP stated they wanted a balcony and the TA only had ocean view left at group rate. It is likely the TA already sold all the cabins they had for Balconies at Group Rate. 

Or there were never any balconies offered.  Vision class has that a lot given that there are so few balconies to start with

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Or there were never any balconies offered.  Vision class has that a lot given that there are so few balconies to start with

Agreed, not every category is held in group rate. Although I’m surprised if the TA had a group (as they offered ocean view) why they couldn’t book the balcony and move into the group. (Albeit at prevailing rate)

Edited by Spurschick