Lost luggage on a cruise

K32682

I’ve had airlines lose checked bags on a land trip but not a cruise. When it happened the bag was either delivered to my hotel or home depending on whether I was outbound or inbound. 

How is it handled when cruising?  Tracking you down mid-cruise seems problematic as you are moving from port to port and may not return to the point of disembarkation. Some ports are remote and visits can be cancelled at the last moment. The bag could be shipped to your home but there may not be anyone there and you are without your things for the duration which could be a significant amount of time on a longer cruise. 

Has it happened to you? How did the airline respond? When and how did you receive your lost luggage?  

4 minutes ago, K32682 said:

I’ve had airlines lose checked bags on a land trip but not a cruise. When it happened the bag was either delivered to my hotel or home depending on whether I was outbound or inbound. 

How is it handled when cruising?  Tracking you down mid-cruise seems problematic as you are moving from port to port and may not return to the point of disembarkation. Some ports are remote and visits can be cancelled at the last moment. The bag could be shipped to your home but there may not be anyone there and you are without your things for the duration which could be a significant amount of time on a longer cruise. 

Has it happened to you? How did the airline respond? When and how did you receive your lost luggage?  

Ships contract with Port Agents that act on their behalf and can handle luggage logistics that, hopefully, finally get the items to you before too much of the cruise has already happened.. 

We were once on a Baltic cruise, and on a sea day which was I forget the exact day but about 6 or 7, I overheard a woman in a laundry room say she finally got her luggage. So it is, or at least can be, delivered to the ship.