My Cruise Wish List/What is your Cruise Wish List With HAL ?

mcrcruiser

11 hours ago, QuattroRomeo said:

Azores is a great idea!

I agree and following up on Bostonjetset's suggestion I looked at the feasibility of it. Currently many transatlantic repositioning cruises(in both directions)use stops at Bermuda and the Azores as they cross the Atlantic with most of them involving Southern Florida ports, and a few NYC. From FLL it usually is 8 days or 7 days from NYC to the Azores with the stop in Bermuda. Boston is nearly 1,000 nautical miles closer to the Azores than FLL. A trip from Boston direct to the Azores without the obligatory stop in Bermuda seems very doable in 5 to 6 days. So lets say a 14-15 day roundtrip from Boston with three days at Ponta Delgada(the furthest Eastern port), Praia Da Vitoria, and Horta in the Azores.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I think many HAL fans are smoking the funny weed when they talk about Antartica.  With the recent international treaties and agreements, no cruise ship can actually go to Antarctica unless they conform to "Polar 6" or better standards.  No HAL vessel meets that standard so their ability to even do "drive by" cruises are very limited to areas further north.  If you truly want to visit Antarctica and go ashore (which is generally done in Zodiacs) you will now need to take a so-called exploration ship such as the new Seabourn vessels (one sailing and a 2nd on the way),  some of the Hurtigruten vessels, Ponent's exploration ships, etc.    This is now the exclusive purview of the small (and expensive) exploration ship market.

Hank

Yes and even the Viking Expeditions ships touch the far edges. But passengers can say they kayaked or "walked" on a 7th continent whereas we can only watch from our balcony. 

2 minutes ago, REOVA said:

Yes and even the Viking Expeditions ships touch the far edges. But passengers can say they kayaked or "walked" on a 7th continent whereas we can only watch from our balcony. 

Even?  The Viking Expedition ships (Octantis and Polaris) were built to Polar 6 standards!  

Just now, Hlitner said:

Even?  The Viking Expedition ships (Octantis and Polaris) were built to Polar 6 standards!   And what you see from a balcony on a "drive by" cruise is nothing compared to the expedition ships that go much further south (into light ice).  Some of the Exploration ships even have passenger submarines for those who want to see under the sea (Seabourn charges about $1000 for that extra).

Hank

• Like 1

We too would love to visit Cuba, but I also have a few itineraries I'd love to see HAL offer.  NCL has a b2b for 29 days that goes from Doha to the Seychelles, then stops in Kenya, Tanzania, Madagascar, Maruitius and down along southern South Africa to Cape Town.  A few years ago, Celebrity offered a cruise that had 3 overnights in New Orleans during Jazz Fest and I am still regretting not booking that one, but I'd love to see HAL offer it!  I also wish HAL would look at other, more off the beaten path itineraries that aren't "grand" voyages.  We do mostly 28-35 day cruises which seems to be enough per sailing for us .