Airport transfers

SusieQft

I am looking forward to my first Silversea cruise in April-May this year.  I booked door to door, and deviated my flights to arrive on the appointed day for a SS pre-cruise tour, and return home 10 days after I disembark.  All my transfers are supposed to be included, but my TA informed me that the transfer to the airport in Rome on disembarkation day is not included, since I am not flying home on the SS arranged flight that day.  However, I am flying to Milan that day with a ticket I purchased separately, so I still need to get to the airport.

My questions are:  (1) Is my TA correct that SS will not include that last airport transfer and I cannot purchase it in advance?  (2)  If so, will I be able to purchase that transfer from SS while on board? and (3) If so, would that be a good idea, or should I instead book an independent private transfer in advance?

I have not been to Rome, Civitavecchia, or FCO before, so I have no personal experience with them.  But it is my impression that it is a long way from the port to the airport, and probably better to make some sort of advance transfer arrangements, rather than planning to use a taxi or Uber.  Is that true, or can I rely on either taxi or Uber as a backup plan, without booking in advance?

That is right. We do our own flights and always have something on before and after the cruise. We would never pay for the SS arranged transfers as they are too expensive. Easy to arrange private transfers.

For example we left our last cruise in Venice. Now you do have to take the ship shuttle to the actual cruise port. From there the SS transfer to the airport was $US100+. We arranged a very good private transfer for 40 euro.

• Thanks 1

I wouldn't buy an SS transfer if you really don't have an included one, it'll be very expensive (but you will be able to buy one when on board if you really want). Book a private car service, there will be taxis but pre-booking your own car will be more reliable. It's a long way from Civi to FCO - and check which airport you are flying out of, there are two in Rome.

If you go to the Italy boards (under Ports of Call > Europe), you'll find lots of chatter about this.

One company seems to get most approvals - Rome In Limo - https://www.romeinlimo.com/transfers/

• Like 2

Yup, your TA is correct. In 2017 my Muse sailing ended in Civitavecchia and did to do as you are having to. I chose to pay for a SS coach transfer which from memory was $80. A private taxi at the time was bookable for $100 by prebooking. As Jolly said, its a fair distance.Personally I would do as you've suggested and use Uber. If you flagged a taxi down (as opposed to pre-booking) I would think it probable you'd be fleeced. I've learned the hard way in Barcelona and Lisbon which were both metered and mysteriously price more than doubled on arrival. I knew what they had done and would have confronted had I not been with company. On the Lisbon one (7 months ago), I put in an uber fare for the same journey and at the time it came back with just over a third of the price. Since then Ive used Uber transfers from ship / airport in a few places and been very happy. Azamara wanted $50pp to transfer from ship to hotel PP in Stockholm. Uber cost $20 - I used the train from hotel to Airport there, but that isn't really an option for Rome as its two different lines.

• Thanks 1