Taquila

geovet

2 hours ago, geovet said:

Does carnival sell tequila in their gift shop to take home?

Yes, although generally speaking I didn't think the prices they were charging were anything too special. I would suggest taking note of the prices of any tequila you might be interested in at your local liquor store to compare if the savings (if any) are worth the hassle of transporting it from the ship back home.

2 hours ago, geovet said:

Does carnival sell tequila in their gift shop to take home?

Thanks

Some of the port stops have stores with a huge variety of choices; different brands/age/quality and prices to match.

14 hours ago, geovet said:

I was planning to use some of my obc and I have a extra suitcase for coming home. I drive to the port so it will not be a big problem for a few bottles.

Remember there's a customs limit of 1 liter that you can bring back without paying duty (exception being an additional 4 liters from an US Virgin Island stop).

I took a quick look at some of the prices on scotch and bourbon on the ship and the dufry shops in Grand Turk and Amber Cove.  Honestly not seeing any real savings versus local Total Wine or ABC, both which have better selections.  Granted people from states with very high sales taxes on alcohol may find savings.

1 hour ago, crewsweeper said:

Remember there's a customs limit of 1 liter that you can bring back without paying duty (exception being an additional 4 liters from an US Virgin Island stop).

I took a quick look at some of the prices on scotch and bourbon on the ship and the dufry shops in Grand Turk and Amber Cove.  Honestly not seeing any real savings versus local Total Wine or ABC, both which have better selections.  Granted people from states with very high sales taxes on alcohol may find savings.

And remember also this is per person in a family group (over 21 for alcohol). We've brought back 4 without issue. Since the duty is charged for the excess and on the sale price most CBP officers won't bother with it since it's not a large amount of duty.

I won’t usually buy scotch or tequila on the ship as I can get it home for a better price and better quality, but your mileage may vary. The one thing I try to come home with is the Blancrux cognac (MUCH better than the Hennessy Pure White which imo is overpriced and overrated) if the ship has it. 

41 minutes ago, geovet said:

I just need a decent 100% blue Agava tequila for mix drinks and some barcardi rum and I’m good! 

They should have Herradura Reposado and Patron Anejo or Reposado or Silver.   But if you8're going to any Mexican port you can do better and cheaper on shore at stores away from port.

15 hours ago, hard_eight said:

Depending on the boat, you don't even talk to customs anymore...just sayin'

Very true! Those with passports breeze right through, don’t have to declare, thanks to facial recognition. Galveston relies on honor system to collect Texas tax.

• Like 1