Just off THE EDGE OUR REVIEW

The Med

A quick review.

We got on at Fort Lauderdale 23rd Jan. 
Booked infinity Balcony. 

Cabin was great,  spacious and light,  loved  the location and proximity to everything and everywhere we needed to be.

FOOD MAIN RESTAURANT 

UnfortunatelyThe Main Dining rooms lacked quality and choice. 
They like to give the impression that it’s 4 different restaurants. It REALLY ISN’T.

Same thing every night,in each restaurant.

But, we found something to eat along with the new Celebrity missive “You won’t starve”.

BUFFET 

Buffet was excellent for breakfast and lunch. 

Dinner at the buffet was.absolutely abysmal 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 9

SPECIALTY RESTAURANTS 

We didn’t bother with the cartoon plate thing, love it but done it twice, that’s enough.

Not interest in RAW on 5 so that only left us two other options.

We are at Eden restaurant which my husband enjoyed but I didn’t.

We both had the lobster, I couldn’t eat mine, it didn’t taste right.

Husband ate his own lobster and mine. So I left hungry.

Steak restaurant experience was abysmal. Food ok, service appalling, totally not worth the money.

We ended up hungry after both nights and wandering up to the buffet but to no avail.
A few scraggy bits of left over dried up cheese and bread.

• Thanks 5

Thank you for your review, confirms what I had written. I was hoping it was just my cruise and things would get better.

I read more positive reviews on the s class ships. Think I am done with e class.

I have a b2b booked on the new ascent next January probably last one on this class unless things change. Hope they do.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, The Med said:

We are at Eden restaurant which my husband enjoyed but I didn’t

You did not like Eden?  😳

We ate there three times.  I wanted to eat there again.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, The Med said:

SPECIALTY RESTAURANTS 

We didn’t bother with the cartoon plate thing, love it but done it twice, that’s enough.

We are at Eden restaurant which my husband enjoyed but I didn’t.

We both had the lobster, I couldn’t eat mine, it didn’t taste right.

Husband ate his own lobster and mine. So I left hungry.

Steak restaurant experience was abysmal. Food ok, service appalling, totally not worth the money.

We ended up hungry after both nights and wandering up to the buffet but to no avail.
A few scraggy bits of left over dried up cheese and bread.

Thank you for your honest review

A quick review.

Booked infinity Balcony. 

Cabin was great,  spacious and light,  loved  the location and proximity to everything and everywhere we needed to be.

FOOD MAIN RESTAURANT 

They like to give the impression that it’s 4 different restaurants. It REALLY ISN’T.

But, we found something to eat along with the new Celebrity missive “You won’t starve”.

BUFFET 

Sorry to hear about the dinner buffet as many have posted the same negative experience.  'You won't starve' should be Celebrity's new advertising slogan. Strange as Royal has not been cutting back at their dinner buffet in the Windjammer.

• Like 1

SPECIALTY RESTAURANTS 

Booked the cartoon plate thing. I could not say it better! Wife has pestered me to book it for our March Constellation sailing and did it just to make her happy. Lots of flair....

Seems like Royal and Celebrity should merge into one. Celebrity being advertised as a premium line, yet adding a room service fee like Royal makes the premium proposition harder to justify and Celebrity cutting back on the dinner buffet and Royal not cutting back on their dinner buffet. The line between the two seems so close now after January 1st. Less marketing costs if they combine would be another savings.  Not surprised if they merge the two lines in the future.

Edited by coaster
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, The Med said:

A quick review.

Booked infinity Balcony. 

FOOD MAIN RESTAURANT 

BUFFET 

Thanks for your review.  I am still looking forward some day for our first E class cruise to see for myself.

Thanks for the review and confirmation the specialty dining is a waste of money. Our only experience with specialty dining was on another line for 30 a person and we felt cheated so won’t be going that route on Celebrity at far higher prices. 

Hopefully the food is good when we are on. We will give our honest opinions too. In laws just got back from the constellation and loved the food and rebooked but I could tell the menus were more limited along with things like the minute steak not being at the lunch buffet. They were first time Celebrity. Time will tell for us. 

Returned to Fort Lauderdale on Feb 3 from the Edge 10 night ABC islands sailing. 
we found the Ocean view cafe to be good for breakfast and lunch although we found it to be smaller than the S class ships. Love the croissants ! Dinner was a sad showing!  Very few choices. 
the four MDR restaurants were pretty good but that is of course very subjective. Most people I spoke with thought the food was very good and the wait staff friendly and attentive. 
we had an Infinite Veranda deck 6 midship which we picked as we like to be midship so we won’t feel too much movement during stormy seas. We did have 20 foot waves rocking the ship and we did feel some movement in the cabin but friends on deck 9 towards the front felt it much more. The cabin was really nice and I did try to love the infinite veranda but it really isn’t at all like a veranda!  It’s kind of like sitting in front of my window at home and lowering the window, of course without the ocean view.  Those who liked it said it made the room feel bigger!  I thought it was big enough but give me a regular veranda!  You don’t get the real ocean breeze with this. Anyway, I would still sail the Edge class only if they had an amazing itinerary that I couldn’t find on the S class.

We did eat at Eden one night and the food was wonderful. We both had filet mignon and it was perfect.  Waitstaff very attentive and delightful. Overall experience excellent. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

For clarification re Eden, the service was good and attentive.

We’ve eaten there on previous cruises and it’s usually our favourite restaurant. We’d pre booked and paid before we got on the cruise which brought the price down. It was just this occasion that I didn’t enjoy my lobster.

We booked the  steak restaurant on board and it cost $150.

It was our wedding anniversary but when we got there they said our reservation had been cancelled. They did however find us a table since they weren’t full. 
The steaks were nice but certainly not worth the money.

The service was slow, we had a wait of around 45 minutes in between the starter and main. The waiter was lovely and apologetic, he said they’d unexpectedly had a large table arrive and it had thrown things out.

I personally wouldn’t eat there again unless they brought the price down considerably.

The main restaurants lacked choice and imagination. 
On one night out of 10 choices for starter 8 of them were either for soup or salad (if you included the prawn cocktail). Only 2 items that weren’t soup or salad.. I mainly eat fish and the choices for main course were extremely limited.

I personally found the choices and quality not to the same standard as previous cruises.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, cw2go said:

Sad to read of your dining experiences, hope the cruise otherwise was enjoyable. 

I sail on Beyond Sunday, hoping to give a great report when I return. 🚢

Patty 

We were on the Beyond last summer and it’s a beautiful ship. 

We’d sailed on the Edge 3 years ago but since going on Beyond and then back to the Edge there really is no comparison.

The sunset bar on the Edge is stunning, the Martini bar is beautiful, everything was just lovely. It was however on its third voyage when we sailed on her so it was basically brand new, everything clean and sparkly.

The Edge looked in parts, quite shabby in comparison.

Fir example most of the seating in the rooftop was marked, dirty and ripped. It surely wouldn’t cost much to replace the covers but they just hadn’t bothered. 

I hope that you enjoy your cruise. I’m confident that you will love the ship itself, but id be interested on your opinion on the food situation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

ENTERTAINMENT.

I personally thought that the entertainment was ok. Not brilliant, just ok. 
We had seen the magician before, I personally didn’t think his show was anything special.

I enjoyed the comedian, I thought he was good.

Apart from the Michael Buble act which I enjoyed I didn’t really care for any of the other singers  that I saw. I didn’t go and see Charity Lockhart because I don’t really like Aretha Franklin. Others will disagree, as I believe others enjoyed the performances.

We didn’t think Tommy Green Jr was particularly good but everyone else seemed to love him. 

What disappointed me was that there was no proper theatre show. As in A SHOW. Comedian, singers, magician but no show.

Other cruise lines tend to put the singers, magicians and comedians in The Club and put proper shows on in the theatre.

Actually to be fair, there may have been a show one night, but we lost 2 days due to horrific food poisoning. I won’t bore you with the details of that, but I wouldn’t wish it on anyone.

Anyway back to the entertainment. We’re theatre buffs, love going at home regularly so perhaps we’re pickier than most.

We enjoyed the games and quizzes in The Club, we didn’t go every night but had fun the nights we did go.

I didn’t go and listen to the Buddhist talks although they did sound interesting, the times didn’t work for me.

I would have preferred more variety on the speakers. A few years ago on another cruise line they had a retired English Poilce Detective talking about how they solved certain crimes. Now that was entertaining.

The best entertainment on the ship was from our Captain Tasos, he really amused me. Certainly my favourite Captain ever and the only reason I’d sail with Celebrity again. 

We’re definitely looking around at other cruise lines now. Celebrity has previously been our favourite, it was a good fit for us but it no longer ticks the right boxes. It’s time for a change. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

We leave on the Edge next Monday for the Panama Canal/Southern Caribbean cruise.  We have an Infinite Veranda on Deck 7, so I will be interested in that experience.  We have no specialty restaurants booked, primarily because we are traveling with my father and brother and sister in law, and Dad is old school--MDR at traditional seating time at 8:30 all the way.  We have done specialty restaurants on NCL but only when they were included in our reservation, since I agree the prices are high.  Don't care about the dinner buffet since we never eat there, but I am glad the breakfast and lunch buffets are still good.  This is our first Celebrity cruise and after reading some of the reviews I am getting a little concerned.  Keeping an open mind, however since the itinerary is a first for us.    I will be reading all week!

10 hours ago, coaster said:

Booked the cartoon plate thing. I could not say it better! Wife has pestered me to book it for our March Constellation sailing and did it just to make her happy. Lots of flair....

I hope that you enjoy it.

We’ve really loved it both times we’ve done it but the first time was special because of the novelty value. The second time we enjoyed it slightly less but only because the surprise element had been taken away.

44 minutes ago, The Med said:

We were on the Beyond last summer and it’s a beautiful ship. 

We’d sailed on the Edge 3 years ago but since going on Beyond and then back to the Edge there really is no comparison.

The sunset bar on the Edge is stunning, the Martini bar is beautiful, everything was just lovely. It was however on its third voyage when we sailed on her so it was basically brand new, everything clean and sparkly.

The Edge looked in parts, quite shabby in comparison.

Fir example most of the seating in the rooftop was marked, dirty and ripped. It surely wouldn’t cost much to replace the covers but they just hadn’t bothered. 

I hope that you enjoy your cruise. I’m confident that you will love the ship itself, but id be interested on your opinion on the food situation.

Thank you, I'll give a report in bullet form (not a full review) once I return. I am super excited to get back to cruising, last for me was May 2019 Europe. 

I am also booked on The Ascent so I'll get to see what Capt. Tasos is all about X2! 😊

Patty 

Thanks for your review.

We are on ship at end of the month.

We have only ever eaten in the buffet (or in our room, ordering from MDR menu...which I am hearing is no longer offered), so this will be our first cruise (we are "budget" elite plus...so have sailed many times) to actually eat in the MDR.  I am not really looking forward to it, but will make the best of it! 

I don't like to take 1 1/2 or 2 hours to eat, but have been told thru these message boards that we can get that time down by talking to servers? (we flew overseas recently and had to option to get whole meal served at once vs course by course...assume something similar ish is option on X?)