Deciding between 2 cruises for NYE 2024 - Celebration vs Dream

slimbyspring

Help in deciding between 2 cruises for NYE 2024/2025.  

It will be the cruise we turn Platinum 🙂 

Itinerary for each:

Dream - 8 day out of Galveston: Key West (it's been 20 years since we have been), Freeport, Nassau, and HMC

Celebration - 7 day out of Miami: San Juan, St Thomas and Amber Cove

I like the idea of 8 days (but not sure about all the Bahama ports, what's good in Nassau) - we have been on the Breeze so I assume Dream is similar.  But the newer boat also seems appealing. 

Cost is virtually the same for both cruises but you get an extra day.   

I would definitely choose the Celebration hands down . I just completed my 50th anniversary cruise with carnival.  I sailed on the Mardi Gras (sister ship) for three cruises and afterwards going back on the smaller ships has been disappointing after experiencing the excel class. These excel ships are amazing. So many more dining venues.  On the excel ships both cucina (Italian) chibang (asian and Mexican) and Pig and anchor(barbecue ). are free for of charge for dinner.  Plus you have More specialty options Emerils ( reasonable prices) Shawshank big chicken  (free).   Rudis sea food ( very good sea food restaurant on par with the steakhouse ) .  As far as the itinerary goes  I’m not a fan of the bahama ports / not that safe. Do some research on what people have recently experienced at these ports.  

Key west keeps trying to ban large cruise ships . And it does get very crowded when cruise ships are in port.  

I normally lean 8 day almost every time, but in this case I prefer the Celebration itinerary (plus newer ship can't hurt). I recently booked a NYE 24/25 cruise on the Vista. 8 day Southern Caribbean. 

• Like 1

I'm not a 'new ship' guy by any stretch of the imagination and not particularly interested in the mega ships in general although I will eventually try one at the right price.  That said, I'd absolutely pick Celebration. Factors include the two ships themselves, Galveston v Miami, and the ports.

Have both ships/itineraries currently booked (Dream in July, Celebration on the NYE sailing) and while I'm in Texas and am excited for both, it's Celebration hands down for me. The ship is just so next level it's a game changer for me. 

I do love the 8 days, and i LOVE Key West and HMC... but Dream is basically Breeze minus (Looking at you, "THE COLLECTION") and while I've sailed her multiple times and will be again, it's hard to touch the Excel class. 

Plus, even though I do like Galveston and it's super easy for me to get to, there's nothing quite like sailing out of MIA. It's a different experience entirely. 

Just my two cents! You'll have a blast either way!

16 minutes ago, TxTeach79 said:

.....but Dream is basically Breeze minus (Looking at you, "THE COLLECTION") and while I've sailed her multiple times and will be again, ....... 

Plus, even though I do like Galveston and it's super easy for me to get to, there's nothing quite like sailing out of MIA. It's a different experience entirely

Big agreement on both highlighted points. Super enlightening from part of our Texas contingent.

Edited by jsglow
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 2/6/2023 at 10:15 AM, TxTeach79 said:

Have both ships/itineraries currently booked (Dream in July, Celebration on the NYE sailing) and while I'm in Texas and am excited for both, it's Celebration hands down for me. The ship is just so next level it's a game changer for me. 

I do love the 8 days, and i LOVE Key West and HMC... but Dream is basically Breeze minus (Looking at you, "THE COLLECTION") and while I've sailed her multiple times and will be again, it's hard to touch the Excel class. 

Plus, even though I do like Galveston and it's super easy for me to get to, there's nothing quite like sailing out of MIA. It's a different experience entirely. 

Just my two cents! You'll have a blast either way!

I concur, except the Breeze is superior to the Dream in several categories. We were on the Dream for the first time back in April. There are a lot of areas on the ship that are really showing the 14 or so years of wear and tear that come from thousands of people day in and day out. Shabby, worn upholstery, stained, dirty carpet, wobbley benches, etc. Our cabin was borderline 20 year old Motel 6. Just beat up. We've been on the Breeze 3 times and it is in much better shape.

As for the itinerary, skip the Bahamas. Go for the Celebration. I am looking forward to the Jubilee coming to Galveston.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kew1031 said:

I concur, except the Breeze is superior to the Dream in several categories. We were on the Dream for the first time back in April. There are a lot of areas on the ship that are really showing the 14 or so years of wear and tear that come from thousands of people day in and day out. Shabby, worn upholstery, stained, dirty carpet, wobbley benches, etc. Our cabin was borderline 20 year old Motel 6. Just beat up. We've been on the Breeze 3 times and it is in much better shape.

As for the itinerary, skip the Bahamas. Go for the Celebration. I am looking forward to the Jubilee coming to Galveston.

Oh I completely agree - I just used the Collection as one egregious example. I've sailed Dream class a bunch - 3 Dream, 1 Magic, 3 Breeze - and Breeze is still one of my favorite ships. I think it's low key one of the most significant ships in Carnival's history tbh.... The first post-Farcus interior, lots of glimpses into what the future of the company would hold. Dream is my least favorite in the class (and I'm still happily back on her in a few weeks....)

• Like 1

1 Magic, 3 Breeze, 1 Dream. I LOVED the Magic, it was my first Dream Class cruise, but the Breeze is the one I've sailed the most often. 

That being said, I *JUST* 10 minutes ago booked the 14 day Southern Caribbean cruise on the Dream for January 2025. That's 564 days away!! but the PVP told me it was already selling out!

3 hours ago, kew1031 said:

I also agree - we did the 8-day Dream itenerary back in April and I loved Key West (one of my favorites) but I didn't love the ship (for the reasons already mentioned).  In addition, I really had a terrible time with my (typically well-controlled) asthma on this particular ship.

We were on Celebration in January and absolutely loved it - I like those ports better overall also.