Alaska land and sea package

Banana15

12 minutes ago, garyl62 said:

Thanks @Jim_Iain  I don't want to take more than 1 for each of us into our room at each stop, but doing a 6 night land portion we'll probably need to do some serious planning as my DW is convinced she's going to need several types of shoes (hiking, water proof, and at least a couple to match outfits for just general walking), not to mention all the coats and layers for every condition imaginable.  The backpack is a good idea to throw a puffer coat or other layered outer ware into.  Hopefully we'll still get all the info when we check-in although our plane doesn't land until 8:30PM and I think they leave the lobby before then.  How did you make your transfer from ANC to the hotel?

The drivers really worked well with the passengers and if someone need their other bag they would dig it out for them.  

We were met at the airport like at FLL with an Agent and a Celebrity Sign - she pointed out the porter to us and gave us a sticker.    There was another plane landing shorty so we had to wait about 30 minutes.   We were then loaded on a bus and transferred to the hotel.   If I recall we put our Celebrity Luggage Tags on the bags and they delivered to our room.

They broke our bus up into two meetings and did the Welcome, Handed out copies of the excursions, colored tags and answered all the questions.    We were then on our own for the evening.  

While on the land tour they had a desk setup with the Tour Guide to help with any issues, book excursions and answer questions.     It was really well organized and you really got to know your Guide an Driver well.   The accommodation in Talkeetna was a distance from the town and the driver said he would be going into town and invited anyone that wanted to come along (which was not part of the tour). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would add that the Alaska land tour clothing is super super super casual. You need less than you think you’d need. Just wear the same stuff. In every photo from our land tour, I am wearing the same “National Security Studies” gray fleece vest. It is ok. 

• Like 1

Honestly, I am an overpacker. But for the land tour in Alaska, you don’t need a lot of different outfits. You are going to wear the same jean/pants and sweatshirt for the entire day. You won’t be changing clothes for dinner and will wear the same sneaker or casual shoes all day. Alaska is extremely casual. I’ve learned that from 2  land tours.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2023 at 1:49 PM, Banana15 said:

I did see that it was an option on the train, so I am glad to know the food was good. -- Were you able to just head downstairs or were you required to make some sort of reservation?

When you get on the train they ask Who would like to dine and they make a list of how many in your party as seating downstairs is limited.

They then call names when dining starts and you will be seated as others finish and return to the upstairs.

@D. B. I know you've talked about how good the breakfast was, but how is the view from the dining car?  I'm debating about having breakfast before boarding and then staying in the glass domed car for the entire trip. Any comments on your experience related to the sights and the domed train car vs the lower level dining car?

14 minutes ago, garyl62 said:

@D. B. I know you've talked about how good the breakfast was, but how is the view from the dining car?  I'm debating about having breakfast before boarding and then staying in the glass domed car for the entire trip. Any comments on your experience related to the sights and the domed train car vs the lower level dining car?

Because the lower dining area is smaller than the Upper dome seating area guests are encouraged to take a reasonable time eating then return to the dome section to make way for others.

Believe me when I say that  you will be looking out of the dome for Hours and hundreds of Miles and you won't Miss much while eating in the lower dining area and it also has windows.

• Thanks 1