Kids in Yacht Club?

1kaper

I'm just curious if there are many kids in YC.  Do they tend to discourage it?

The reason I'm wondering is I looked at moving my cruise.  I found a cruise in November that is $400 more than we currently paid to book YC.  I was definitely going to do it.  But turns out I must have forgotten to add the third passenger.  When I put in adding a child (8yo), the price goes to almost $3500 more to book YC.  Everything else the same.  I wondered if it was their way of discouraging children in the section. Which is fine if it is, just wondering. 

Edited by 1kaper

22 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

I'm just curious if there are many kids in YC.  Do they tend to discourage it?

The reason I'm wondering is I looked at moving my cruise.  I found a cruise in November that is $400 more than we currently paid to book YC.  I was definitely going to do it.  But turns out I must have forgotten to add the third passenger.  When I put in adding a child (8yo), the price goes to almost $3500 more to book YC.  Everything else the same.  I wondered if it was their way of discouraging children in the section. Which is fine if it is, just wondering. 

I think I know what's happening to you...

You were potentially going to book a Yacht Club inside cabin, yeah? The problem with those is that they don't have capacity for a 3rd passenger. So it bumped you up to the next minimum stateroom size that can accommodate the situation which is one of the balcony rooms - that's (I think) what is likely causing that massive price shift for you. Because normally, the kids are essentially free on MSC (port charges and such and that's basically it).

Children are more than welcome in the Yacht Club. MSC is a family line and even on Explora Journeys, children are welcome. 

7 minutes ago, Avatar345 said:

You were potentially going to book a Yacht Club inside cabin, yeah? The problem with those is that they don't have capacity for a 3rd passenger. So it bumped you up to the next minimum stateroom size that can accommodate the situation which is one of the balcony rooms - that's (I think) what is likely causing that massive price shift for you. Because normally, the kids are essentially free on MSC (port charges and such and that's basically it).

^^ I agree with this. 

Adding a 3rd person to a balcony stateroom will generally only add a few hundred dollars to the total. The age of the 3rd person can make a difference. The older the child, both the fare and the Hotel Service Charge can go higher than for a younger child. It isn't much but as kids get older, one child might cost more than the other if booking for more than one child (3rd and 4th passenger) .  

• Like 1

We just ended an 11-day cruise on Divina in the Caribbean on Monday. There were only 2 families with children in the YC. One family had 2 and one family had 1. All 3 seemed to be younger than school age. YC was just over half full -- 106 passengers was what we were told. Not sure if any of this will help you since your experience will depend on ship, timing, location and how many cabins are occupied, but I've given you all the data. 🙂

Edited by Best Cat Mom

2 hours ago, Avatar345 said:

ahhhhhh.  That makes sense. Thank you. 

Maybe I’ll bid on YC on my cruise with my mother coming up instead. 

We've always seen some kids in YC but three of five were summer.  Last two September 2021 and not many at all but ships also not full back then.  We sail Sunday and see.

Our first had Octomom and their kids were a mess everywhere.  Even the dad couldn't control them.