Two Basic Questions: Sailing Riviera Tomorrow

marieps

I haven't sailed O since before the pandemic, but have been on =X= a few times.  Please tell me whether suite guests on O can board at their leisure once boarding opens, as is =X= policy, or whether they have to adhere strictly to their times.  Secondly, does O allow passengers to go immediately to their cabins to drop their luggage before going to lunch and exploring the ship while the attendants finish up their cabin duties?  

Thanks for any info.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, marieps said:

I haven't sailed O since before the pandemic, but have been on =X= a few times.  Please tell me whether suite guests on O can board at their leisure once boarding opens, as is =X= policy, or whether they have to adhere strictly to their times.  Secondly, does O allow passengers to go immediately to their cabins to drop their luggage before going to lunch and exploring the ship while the attendants finish up their cabin duties?  

Thanks for any info.

At a recent embarkation in Miami, guests were called to board by cabin category from Owners Suites on down with absolutely no acknowledgement of reserved boarding times.  Oh and the top cats got a nice red carpet to walk on.  The plebes did not.    

As to your second question, no, unless your room category is called you carry your bags around.  

• Like 1

I am currently on Riviera.  Nine days ago we arrived at the pier just before 11:00.  Suite guests were already checking in.  Concierge got called around 11:15.  Once on the ship they called stateroom categories as the cabins came available.  Penthouse got called at 1:00 and concierge at 1:35.  I’m sure that higher suites were earlier but I didn’t hear them called.  Until the category is called, you need to lug around your hand luggage.

1 hour ago, shepherd really said:

At a recent embarkation in Miami, guests were called to board by cabin category from Owners Suites on down with absolutely no acknowledgement of reserved boarding times.  Oh and the top cats got a nice red carpet to walk on.  The plebes did not.    

As to your second question, no, unless your room category is called you carry your bags around.  

I find it to be very reasonable little perk given the amount of money the top suites pay for their cruises. One doesn’t get to drive the same Mercedes while paying for the Chevy. And NO, we’re not booking the top suites but never feel like “plebes” on the ship.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, osandomir said:

I find it to be very reasonable little perk given the amount of money the top suites pay for their cruises. One doesn’t get to drive the same Mercedes while paying for the Chevy. And NO, we’re not booking the top suites but never feel like “plebes” on the ship.

But the policy begs the question, why bother with allowing people in 'lower' cabins to choose an early boarding time and then leave them to sit and watch while they call the people in suites to board first?   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shepherd really said:

But the policy begs the question, why bother with allowing people in 'lower' cabins to choose an early boarding time and then leave them to sit and watch while they call the people in suites to board first?   

If you sailed with Oceania long enough you would noticed that choosing your embarkation time is a COVID related thing. I agree - Oceania should have dropped it by now and return to the previous system when they assigned you the embarkation time accordingly your cabin category. But as far as I remember, even then there were people who for different reasons came earlier and watched others to board first. Apparently, it’s not that easy to follow the rules.

• Haha 1

They typically will start at 11:00 with OS,VS and OC suites.  These suites are ready at 11:00 generally.

Then Platinum and PH at 11:15.  It really depends on how organized the front desk is and how many people are check in in passengers.  By noon all lines are open.

Rooms are not ready until 1PM for PH and then Concierge and regular cabins at 3pm.  They usually close the fire doors to prevent guest from dropping luggage off.

In December, there were too many people ready to board by 11am.  Terminal J is rather small.

• Like 4

I  guess I am late here but we are usually PH and above.  We show up when we want to -- and generally get on board quickly although our room is not necessarily ready.

We often will do some touring in town before going to the ship but sometimes we just want to get to the ship.  That can depend on how long we've been in the port city prior to boarding -- we usually come in 3 days prior to the cruise departure.  When we were in Rome prior to a Civitavecchia departure we didn't come to the ship until 3pm.  It is never the same.

Usually, if we arrive on time to have lunch on the ship we carry our hand luggage with us and wait for our room to be called.  Usually that isn't long.  When our real luggage will arrive is another question! Usually it's not too long but it might be. There is no predicting.

Mura

• Like 1

I disembarked the Sirena this week after B2B2B cruises.  On each leg PH suites were called about 1:30pm and B1 and lower cabins were called after 3:00pm. That is a long time to wait if you board at 11:00am.  If you are not in a top category, I would take the often repeated advice of @pinotloverand have a nice lunch in port, then board the ship later in the afternoon.

The terminal in Miami is freezing!  Be sure to have something warm to wear while you wait to board. 

16 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

They usually close the fire doors to prevent guest from dropping luggage off.

I have never seen this on Riviera. B2B guests have full access to their staterooms directly after the off-and-on ship zeroing exercise (between 10am and 11am).

Plenty of cruisers drop off their carry-on luggage. Check the hallway. If you see your steward ask him. If not, stick your luggage in the cupboard. No one is going to say anything.

‘Then head for Terrace for some carved turkey.

Edited by Robjame
  • Haha 1

On 2/10/2023 at 11:55 AM, Robjame said:

I have never seen this on Riviera. B2B guests have full access to their staterooms directly after the off-and-on ship zeroing exercise (between 10am and 11am).

Plenty of cruisers drop off their carry-on luggage. Check the hallway. If you see your steward ask him. If not, stick your luggage in the cupboard. No one is going to say anything.

‘Then head for Terrace for some carved turkey.

We said hello to Yan last night.  Out of nowhere he was the one assigned to us.  He had to deal with a very poor brigade experience.  Refired mussels twice that were just too cold to eat.  Lobster bisque tepid at best.  Really?  The sommelier was wholly inattentive.  And worst, DW was ill all morning.   Acutely so.    Jacques tonight.  Hoping for a turn around.

8 hours ago, marieps said:

Refired mussels twice that were just too cold to eat.  Lobster bisque tepid at best.  Really?  The sommelier was wholly inattentive.  And worst, DW was ill all morning

That is terrible - nothing worse than cold food as either it wasn’t cooked properly in the first place or it was served and allowed to cool. 

I hope you made a fuss.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2023 at 2:23 AM, Robjame said:

That is terrible - nothing worse than cold food as either it wasn’t cooked properly in the first place or it was served and allowed to cool. 

I hope you made a fuss.

We did, and the senior exec chef and the restaurant manager insisted on meeting with us.  They offered apologies, and an extra reservation at Jacques, which we gladly accepted.  We also suggested they not serve warm single-serve tubs of yogurt for breakfast at Waves, and that someone periodically bus the glasses from the forward sun deck off the spa.  Both suggestions were taken to heart and acted upon.

@marieps

So sorry to hear about the problems you had but most importantly, you spoke up and were heard. Next thing when you see the F and B Director, suggest to him you would love to have lunch or dinner with him later on in the cruise to talk more about your overall cruise experiences.after all he is responsible for everything on board minus Destinations and Reception. When we did this they always provided the red and white wine with the meal and for sure, NO waiter or Sommelier was inattentive and they all knew who we were. 
Our first night in Toscana on that trip, O had removed the Lasagne from the menu, a new menu plan.  F and B passed by our table that night with the Maitre d right behind and asked how dinner was.  We told her we would not be eating again in Toscana until the Lasagne was back on the menu. We were assured it would be available for our next Toscana reservation which they gave us two days later. We arrived in Toscana, looked at the menu and NO LASAGNA. We waived the Maitre d over and he whispered in my wife’s ear, “order the Classic Tiramisu”. She did and out came her Lasagne as did the Italian Chef with a smile on his face. They want to please you so let them know what pleases you. Also, Happy Wife, Happy Life 😇🙏

Additionally, the last time we were on Riviera 12/21, we even invited the F and B to join us in Privee for my DW’s 74🎂 so you know that was a fantastic time.  Her Birthday cake and singers were awesome. Since we were on for 46 days, we met EVERYDAY with her, even if for nothing more than a cup In Baristas or a quick hello. She is now a very dear friend. 

ENJOY YOUR CRUISE

Mauibabes

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mauibabes said:

@marieps

So sorry to hear about the problems you had but most importantly, you spoke up and were heard. Next thing when you see the F and B Director, suggest to him you would love to have lunch or dinner with him later on in the cruise to talk more about your overall cruise experiences.after all he is responsible for everything on board minus Destinations and Reception. When we did this they always provided the red and white wine with the meal and for sure, NO waiter or Sommelier was inattentive and they all knew who we were. 
Our first night in Toscana on that trip, O had removed the Lasagne from the menu, a new menu plan.  F and B passed by our table that night with the Maitre d right behind and asked how dinner was.  We told her we would not be eating again in Toscana until the Lasagne was back on the menu. We were assured it would be available for our next Toscana reservation which they gave us two days later. We arrived in Toscana, looked at the menu and NO LASAGNA. We waived the Maitre d over and he whispered in my wife’s ear, “order the Classic Tiramisu”. She did and out came her Lasagne as did the Italian Chef with a smile on his face. They want to please you so let them know what pleases you. Also, Happy Wife, Happy Life 😇🙏

Additionally, the last time we were on Riviera 12/21, we even invited the F and B to join us in Privee for my DW’s 74🎂 so you know that was a fantastic time.  Her Birthday cake and singers were awesome. Since we were on for 46 days, we met EVERYDAY with her, even if for nothing more than a cup In Baristas or a quick hello. She is now a very dear friend. 

ENJOY YOUR CRUISE

Mauibabes

Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions.  It was clear the entire F&B staff knew who we were after our meeting.  The incident made it's way to Reception as well.  It was a rough 12 hrs for DW, but the response from the staff was thoughtful and appropriate.   

BTW, I always enjoy your posts. 

8 hours ago, techteach said:

The “pass” is where food is deemed ready for serving. I am glad you sent the mussels back,  but I’m concerned anytime food is served that isn’t to temperature. There is a lack of monitoring at the pass.

Those dishes should have someone responsible for heading them off at the pass.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1