Sailing on Celebrity Beyond Panama Cruise Jan 29, 23. Need advice on Excursions in Colon

Florida48

Just wondering if anyone has taken Celebrity's  "Panama Canal Locks and Culebra Cut Cruise" or the "Expansion of the Panama Canal "The Present & The Future"" and what you liked, didn't like.  The Locks and Culebra Cut Cruise have some warnings that the excursion may not transit all of the locks.  If you were on this excursion were you able to transit all of the locks?  Would you advise another excursion instead?  Thanks for the advice!

Assuming you meant Jan 29, 2024…

Since it appears you are on a partial transit, you will have locked up through the Agua Clara (new) locks into Gatun Lake.  You will then tender ashore to your tour bus.  That will take you to where you board the excursion boat/ferry.  Possible at Gamboa.  Then you will travel down the canal, through the Culebra Cut, under the Centennial Bridge, and probably through the Pedro Miguel locks.  Further transit would be through the Miraflores Locks, probably time and traffic allowing.  You would not see or transit through the Gatun Locks.  Return to Colon would be by bus.  As long as you have been through one of the original locks, you have seen them all.  It is just that the Miraflores (2 locks) and Gatun (3 locks) seem busier.  EM

Im thinking the expansion of the canal tour will take you to the visitors center overlooking the Agua Clara Locks, which you have just passed through.  EM

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2023 at 8:14 AM, Florida48 said:

Right my mistake, Jan 29, 2024.  Thanks for your input.

We're on the same cruise!  We have done the partial transit once before about 7 years ago and stayed on the ship which afterward we thought was an error in judgement on our part.  At the time, many of the reviews I had read about the excursion to Panama City by bus and train (?) were negative - too long and too hot. But when people returned to the ship they made it seem as though we really missed out.  So now I'm back here trying to get some feedback.  

14 hours ago, baggal said:

We're on the same cruise!  We have done the partial transit once before about 7 years ago and stayed on the ship which afterward we thought was an error in judgement on our part.  At the time, many of the reviews I had read about the excursion to Panama City by bus and train (?) were negative - too long and too hot. But when people returned to the ship they made it seem as though we really missed out.  So now I'm back here trying to get some feedback.  

I don't think there are mistakes on a cruise... maybe just another choice!  Although I do recommend a shore excursion when you are on a partial transit cruise, it still is a pleasant day if you stay on the ship for the return out of the Canal.  If your intent is to see the Canal on a partial transit cruise, one of the best excursions for that is the excursion that takes you through the two original Pacific Locks and Gaillard Cut.  Each cruise line has their own name for this excursion, so you may have to sift through the tour description a bit.  This is the excursion that often is criticized for running long and being warm.  While that is the case at times, not every one of these tours runs amuck, just being aware that it can happen often is the best precaution.  As they say ... ship happens.  Tours that involve Panama City or the train generally don't run into the delays that can happen on the partial transit of the Pacific Locks/Gaillard Cut excursion.  However it is always possible to "enjoy" the warmth and humidity when you outside the comforts of air conditioning.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/9/2023 at 12:26 PM, Florida48 said:

Just wondering if anyone has taken Celebrity's  "Panama Canal Locks and Culebra Cut Cruise" or the "Expansion of the Panama Canal "The Present & The Future"" and what you liked, didn't like.  The Locks and Culebra Cut Cruise have some warnings that the excursion may not transit all of the locks.  If you were on this excursion were you able to transit all of the locks?  Would you advise another excursion instead?  Thanks for the advice!

Back in 2005, we took the same Celebrity "Panama Canal Locks and Culebra Cust Cruise" tour when our ship, Horizon, docked at Colon.  The tour was named something else at the time, but it is the same tour.

Our motorcoach took us to the Pacific side where we boarded our ferry ride.  We went through the Miraflores and Pedro Miguel locks.  We sailed through the Cut and then got off the ferry somewhere around Gatun Lake.  Come to think of it, I think it was at Gamboa--that's where our motorcoach buses were waiting for us to take us back to the ship.

If you are a canal fanatic/nerd/geek, you will find the ferry ride of great interest.  There were good views of the locks and its operation.  Unlike a cruise ship, the walls of each lock towered over us. One of the advantages of being on a small ferry was that you could easily look behind you as well as ahead with a little bit of walking.  Everyone that wanted to could touch the walls.  The tour was well narrated.  The only drawback is that the whole trip is fairly long and it can get pretty hot and humid while you are out on deck.  So you will find the tour exhausting.  Also, back then the box lunch that was served wasn't very good. 

Taking the shore excursion whetted my appetite for taking a cruise that does the full transit.  I had to wait 19 years, but we will be on Summit's canal cruise this coming April.

I have attached a few photos from our ferry ride which I hope you find useful.

image.thumb.jpeg.743506318e01a66f67547dbf3efe6d3d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8e2ee1b8d4303bd1153a1c82f657577b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f05ef5ac8303a9286ce8679a43f2601a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ecad21965207bc1cda86b6348f3bec44.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.aab0b28a933c14b3648aa4bfafabe2bb.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.faba54067f3462154c1daaa7205a3b41.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.6951a75bdc06d9ff4b0faa093ca0a3cb.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8bf1e03d6b7cab1aa8cf59c8ac72eede.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1