Portimao, Portugal in April: Recommendations -- Near the Port (Food, Drink, Easy Activities, etc.)

We are trying to decide what to do while at port in Portimao, Portugal.  If there is plenty to do (2-3 hours worth), we will probably choose to stay put for the day.  We look forward to your input. 

Whether we opt to take an excursion or not...any places to recommend for sardines? 

AJ,  just a little surprised to see you begin this new thread as you began an almost idential one 6 months ago on August 10.  It would appear you have not yet made any progress despite being advised to read certain online information sources to help you.

here is your first one:

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2872494-portimao-portugal-questions/#comment-63744665

AJ-

I second edinburgher's post. 

As for sardines, they are practically the national dish of Portugal and practically every restaurant serves the traditional fried sardines plus some variations.  Favor mostly seafood restaurants so you can also try other great seafood. Just walk down the street and look at the menus.  Look at what people at sidewalk tables are having.  Can't go wrong. 

Edited by marazul
  • Like 1

apologies that post #2 was incomplete but it was too late to edit it.

AJ,  just a little surprised to see you begin this new thread, as you began an almost idential one 6 months ago on August 10.  It would appear you have not yet made any progress so maybe time to reread these two?.

here is your first one:

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2872494-portimao-portugal-questions/#comment-63744665

And here is another you could find helpful:

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2847745-portimao-ideas/#comment-64061312

I amended advice to take a public bus, as I discovered after posting that info , that a taxi from the dock to Alvor should only take 10-15 minutes. As it will take 5-10 minutes to reach central Portimao by taxi , there is very little difference in time, but Alvor is more likelky to suit you better given how colourfuil and pretty it is, also compact, and in your earlier thread you had mentioned "nature" and been advised that the Alvor Boardwalk passed alongside the estuary and nature reserve  with  info easily found by googling "Alvor boardwalk".

Had also advised that there were a good number of FISH restaurants neighbouring each other in one street leading to the waterfront, so very easy to compare menus etc. Plus had suggested you check Tripadvisor Alvor restaurant reviews in addition to Tripadvisor Portimao restaurant reviews to help you decide your lunch location.

And this time  you are asking abgout a sardine meal.  Have you tried googling "best sardines in Portimao" and "best sardines in Alvor? So easy to do, so many results for you to read and learn from..

if it is any help at all, Alvor is still a FISHing village, where FISHermen still land their catches and presumably at least some of those same  FISH restaurants will be buying directly from them.

Alvor or not, I hope you enjoy your day, but would still advise that there is little of interest in Portimao and it is much more spread out.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

Thanks, Edinburgher.  I thought I had done so, too.  For whatever reason, when I went to my profile, it didn't show that I had posted that. 

There's something about the format/settings that I'm missing or overlooking.

Thanks again.  ....  And this is the reason--I suppose--that I keep requesting the same info.  For I certainly wouldn't do it, if I could locate those original posts. 

For I certainly wouldn't do it, if I could locate those original posts. 

AJ. You would probably find it beneficial to spend some time learning how to use the various functions of CC (including how to find your past posts,) as some time spent learning about CC will be well rewarded.

Help on doing this can be found here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/forum/859-need-help-using-the-forums-check-here/

How to find your past threads and posts is described approx. 12or more topics down on the first page of that link.

And CC aside, google is your best friend.  So very simple to use, so much info out there just waiting for you to find it.

Two examples here

in your earlier thread you had mentioned "a liking of nature" and been advised that the Alvor Boardwalk passed alongside the estuary and nature reserve  with  info easily found by googling "Alvor boardwalk". Only two words to google but much info in the results.

And from your current thread. Have you tried googling "best sardines in Portimao" and "best sardines in Alvor? . This time only four words for each but much info in the results.

General internet searching aside, ideally when you start a thread and receive responses from others, you should be  copying and pasting that info into your  notes for that particular port.  Start a Word Document for each port.. copy/paste helpful replies into it  and that way the info will be easily found as you begin to form your plans without having to search for your past posts, or instead, copy and paste the link to your various threads into your notes/Word documents for each port  then you only need click the link to access it.

I would also suggest you learn how to use the SEARCH option, so you can bring up past threads and posts on port towns and cities which are not your own as you can learn much from reading these. Info on how to do that  should also be on the same link:

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/forum/859-need-help-using-the-forums-check-here/

And if you don't actually want to research a port six months early, and complete it  before moving on to the next one, why not wait until you are ready to do it from start to finish?

And do remember to use Tripadvisor and other online sources in addition..  So easy to google eg Tripadvisor Portimao or Tripadvisor Alvor (or wherever you want to learn about) then choose THINGS TO DO, and many of the official LOCAL TOURIST INFO websites have a wealth of info.   Unfortunately you either do some homework yourself or simply book a shorex in every port you will visit.

Hoping that at least some of the above will be helpful to you and make your current and any future cruise ports research easier.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

Whenever I think of being in Portimao, by first thought is about having sardines for lunch :).  I would also suggest not necessarily eating at the first place you see.  Walk along the water (there is a nice promanade) to the far end of the town where you will spot a few cafe/restaurants near the water that will likely have signs about sardine specials.  Yum.  For those who have never had fresh sardines (and these are very fresh) it is a treat.  Nothing like that stuff we used to get out of cans.

Hank

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't been to Portimao but will be going in April on Oceania.  (You, too?)  Anyway, I've read that there are a lot of decent sardine places north of where cruise ships dock, which is basically mid-city near the container port.  But near the places serving sardines, there's an old railroad bridge, and it sounds like the area is the oldest part of Portimao.  The southern end is the beach area.  East across the river is Ferraguda, with a little ferry connecting the two places.  It's supposed to be a nice area to visit.

What I haven't figured out is whether there will be a shuttle, and if so, where it will drop people. And I'm a little nervous about the day that we're there -- a Sunday, when some shuttles don't run.  I assume there will at least be taxis, but who knows?

But we're going to try to rent a car and do some sightseeing west of Portimao, including Lagos, where my husband knows someone.  I'm also interested in Benagil Cave....but probably won't have time to do all that I'm interested it!

I sure love cruising.  But once I start researching a place, I want to do it everything.  And that's quite hard when you're only in port from 8 to 6.

• Like 1