Refund of FCC

DCThunder

To be clear the OP is talking about a future cruise deposit (FCD), not a future cruise credit (FCC) as those are two distinctly different things and are treated differently but as a general rule if you book a cruise that has a refundable deposit you will get back the FCD or FCC to use on another cruise.  But FCC's are never refundable (in cash back) and have definite expiration dates after which they are lost.  FCD's do get refunded (as returned cash) after 4 years if you don't use them.

If you book a cruise with a nonrefundable deposit I am pretty sure you lose either one.  I had this happen once when HAL's system applied FCDs to a "courtesy hold" in error and then when the hold expired they (tried to) keep the money arguing the booking was nonrefundable.  But it wasn't even a booking - just a courtesy hold.  After much heated discussion and elevation it was reinstated but not without a fight (and not without them scolding me and telling me it was a "one time courtesy" even though it was clearly their system's error!). 

I don't think you would ever get back a nonrefundable deposit from them in any form.  So it is very important to know what type of reservation you are making and the exact terms of the refundability of any deposits before applying any funds to it. 

Edited by Real NHDOC

22 minutes ago, Real NHDOC said:

To be clear the OP is talking about a future cruise deposit (FCD), not a future cruise credit (FCC) as those are two distinctly different things and are treated differently but as a general rule if you book a cruise that has a refundable deposit you will get back the FCD or FCC to use on another cruise. 

Thank you for clarifying my incorrect terminology.  I sort of knew I was wrong as I wrote the post, but couldn't come up with why I felt that way.  And thank you for your detailed answer.  My situation is definitely FCD, not FCC.  And I believe that my deposit is refundable.

4 hours ago, Mary229 said:

4 years at which time it is refunded 

So the same as their FCD. Our FCC have been expiring 1 year from when they are posted (with some exceptions for 2020 GWC be able to be used for 2023 or 2024 if needed). 

6 hours ago, REOVA said:

So the same as their FCD. Our FCC have been expiring 1 year from when they are posted (with some exceptions for 2020 GWC be able to be used for 2023 or 2024 if needed). 

Sorry I misread your post, I was mentioning policy for FCD.   I have not had FCC so cannot help

• Like 1