Do things start disappearing near end of cruise?

roadster08

On 2/12/2023 at 9:59 PM, justafem said:

Just got off the Royal.  Last 2 days no watermelon in the buffet or good sprits.  Other melons seemed less ripe.  But we muttled through.  Watermelon on fire (good spirts) was replaced with strawberries.  

Only peach yogurt the last day. 

And we survived. 

Note to self:  Start hoarding strawberry yogurt on embarkation day and then resell for a premium at the end of the cruise...

• Haha 3

46 minutes ago, Teeara said:

Note to self:  Start hoarding strawberry yogurt on embarkation day and then resell for a premium at the end of the cruise...

Maybe not exactly hording, but there are certain deserts that are served on a Princess cruise that occur only once.

For those things that I really enjoy, I stash a couple extra in the fridge to enjoy later. 😋

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Maybe not exactly hording, but there are certain deserts that are served on a Princess cruise that occur only once.

For those things that I really enjoy, I stash a couple extra in the fridge to enjoy later. 😋

Which ones?  Gotta know what to look for!

• Like 1

On longer cruises (with many lines) it is not unusual for certain items to become rare (or completely disappear) late in a cruise.  This happens because ships do sometimes run out of certain items, and unlike at home, they cannot simply snap their fingers and resupply.  

I think that most common items that disappear can be fresh produce/fruit.  On our last Princess cruise there was also a problem with some booze items (i.e. there was not a bottle of Bailey's to be found except in the shop).  On a recent Seabourn TA cruise, we ran out of every brand of bourbon except for Wild Turkey (they did get some new supplies once we reached Europe).

Hank

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

On longer cruises (with many lines) it is not unusual for certain items to become rare (or completely disappear) late in a cruise.  This happens because ships do sometimes run out of certain items, and unlike at home, they cannot simply snap their fingers and resupply.  

I think that most common items that disappear can be fresh produce/fruit.  On our last Princess cruise there was also a problem with some booze items (i.e. there was not a bottle of Bailey's to be found except in the shop).  On a recent Seabourn TA cruise, we ran out of every brand of bourbon except for Wild Turkey (they did get some new supplies once we reached Europe).

Hank

I would have had to request a partial refund rather than drink Wild Turkey.

It strikes me as odd that the food and beverage manager (or whatever they’re called) can’t work a deal with the duty free shop for that Baileys. If not odd, then disappointing.  

2 minutes ago, BamaVol said:

I would have had to request a partial refund rather than drink Wild Turkey.

It strikes me as odd that the food and beverage manager (or whatever they’re called) can’t work a deal with the duty free shop for that Baileys. If not odd, then disappointing.  

Good point but we have never seen this happen on any cruise line.  They did have a Bailey's wannabe substitute, but DW is a hardcore Bailey's fan.    The other shortage, we have often seen on cruise lines, are various wines.  On many lines the wine list is more "advisory" than real.  This has been made a bigger problem since many mass market lines have gotten rid of real wine stewards who actually knew the inventory and could make recommendations.   

Hank

1 hour ago, Teeara said:

Which ones?  Gotta know what to look for!

The ones you really like. After a few cruises you'll learn which desserts they are.

i.e.- I use to get extra Key Lime pie in the past but now with the app, you can order it anytime.