OBC - Sorry I have a question about this (it might be a repeat)

trixiee

Is OBC received from HAL refundable at the end of the cruise, or should I plan on spending it all?

we were going to use it for excursions, but I worry that any of the ones we might want to do will be sold out.  Also, tbh, I would rather book with other tour operators and choose the exact tour we want to do… However if my OBC is non-refundable, then I may as well wait until we’re onboard and see what’s left to book.

thank you for your help!

Usually OBC from HAL is nonrefundable. You can use for crew gratuities, wine package, laundry etc. The OBC we receive from our TA is refundable. It's nice that HAL uses your nonrefundable first before the refundable!

8 minutes ago, trixiee said:

Is OBC received from HAL refundable at the end of the cruise, or should I plan on spending it all?

3 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

The OBC we receive from our TA is refundable.

The OBC from both HAL and our TA has always been non-refundable.  Check the account on the TV or Navigator if you are in doubt.

4 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

Usually OBC from HAL is nonrefundable. You can use for crew gratuities, wine package, laundry etc. The OBC we receive from our TA is refundable. It's nice that HAL uses your nonrefundable first before the refundable!

Darn.  We have HIA, with gratuities included.  Was planning on getting the laundry, but that’s about it.  
We’ve never had enough OBC to be concerned, but this time we were able to secure quite a nice sum.  It may be worth it to pre-book an excursion, then cancel it and rebook using OBC once on board. The good excursions are selling out quickly.

1 hour ago, Sea42 said:

1 hour ago, Cruise Suzy said:

The OBC from both HAL and our TA has always been non-refundable.  Check the account on the TV or Navigator if you are in doubt.

I have used several Travel Agencies in the past, and with the exception of the World Cruise I am currently on my TA OBC has always been refundable. On this cruise, part of my TA credit came from the TA, and part from the group that the TA is a member of. The group credit is non refundable.

In general, all OBC that comes from HAL or CCL is non refundable, even it it comes as a perk for a group booking. Anything purchased by your TA, you, or your friends is refundable.

3 minutes ago, trixiee said:

Darn.  We have HIA, with gratuities included.  Was planning on getting the laundry, but that’s about it.  
We’ve never had enough OBC to be concerned, but this time we were able to secure quite a nice sum.  It may be worth it to pre-book an excursion, then cancel it and rebook using OBC once on board. The good excursions are selling out quickly.

We have that "problem" too on our upcoming cruise. We plan on using ours for whatever specialty dining is still available, laundry and a couples massage.

2 hours ago, trixiee said:

It may be worth it to pre-book an excursion, then cancel it and rebook using OBC once on board. The good excursions are selling out quickly.

If the excursion is sold out with a waiting list, and you cancel to rebook, you go to the end of the waiting list. If the excursion is a "must-do" book it and inquire before cancelling!

Lunch in the Pinnacle Grill (or Pinnagrill as I like to call it) is very nice. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trixiee said:

If you have a lot of OBC from your TA, ask them to take the amount off the total cost of the cruise. My TA will do that if I ask. For example, I have booked a 2024 HAL cruise for 5500 but I am only paying my TA 4900. 

7 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

If you have a lot of OBC from your TA, ask them to take the amount off the total cost of the cruise. My TA will do that if I ask. For example, I have booked a 2024 HAL cruise for 5500 but I am only paying my TA 4900. 

I use a PCC. I asked how I could transfer my booking to a TA, because the price was lower, and HAL matched the price with OBC. 
There are a few ports that we’ve been to a couple of times, so I guess we’ll just take whatever excursions are available in those ports. 

Pinnagrill lunch is a great idea, as are a couple of   Hal shirts and hats. I think we’re good. Just would’ve been nice to use the OBC as a down payment on another cruise. 😁

• Like 1