Apple Watch, and Medallion Net

EAC

Has anyone used the Apple Watch on a Princess Cruise. I have an Apple Watch with cellular capacity.  Does it require a separate account from the I Phone?  Thanks for any advice on its use on board ship.  

• Like 1

I highly doubt that it's going to get any kind of usable signal.  Yes, *supposedly* the ship can provide "cellular at sea" but you REALLY don't want to even *look* at those prices for telephone conversations.  If it were to connect to this and somehow get charged back to you...you're looking at a king's ransom in charges.  Just convert it over to your iPhone instead while on the ship.

I would turn off cellular service on watch when on the ship.  

Wouldn't it be nice if Medallion App Ocean Navigators created an app for the iPhone Watch so you didn't have to carry around the medallion?  That would be too obvious.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I would turn off cellular service on watch when on the ship.  

Wouldn't it be nice if Medallion App Ocean Navigators created an app for the iPhone Watch so you didn't have to carry around the medallion?  That would be too obvious.

That would be nice, but they can't even update software for their app to accept facial recognition.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EAC said:

Has anyone used the Apple Watch on a Princess Cruise. I have an Apple Watch with cellular capacity.  Does it require a separate account from the I Phone?  Thanks for any advice on its use on board ship.  

We have cruised several cruises with our Apple Watches (with cellular). We always turn off the cellular function on the watch once we board the ship (don't want unwanted/expensive bill from cellular carrier) - the watch is then relying on whatever connection our iPhones have (which are usually in 'Airplane Mode' with Wifi on connected to the Medallion Net).We still get notifications pushed to the watch from the phone. We leave 'cellular' off on our watches until we are home back in the US. 

• Like 3

I cruised in November with an Apple Watch with out cellular and then when I returned, I got a new one with cellular. I appreciate those telling me to turn it in Airplane mode as I would have forgotten about that on the ship.

My Nov cruise was a TA and I had to keep manually adjusting my iPhone to make sure my watch had the correct time.

Thanks everyone for your prompt response.  Turning off the cellular would seem  prudent while on the ship considering the cost of cellular at sea.   Glad it can work with the I phone connected to the Medallion Net wifi..    😃

• 4 months later...

Anyone know if you can join your Apple Watch to Princess medallionnet wifi? Or does it have a splash page which usually prevents AW from connecting.

Don’t want to have to carry my phone in my pocket 24/7 while cruising. Thanks!

• 6 months later...