"Intransit" for Anchorage Tours

Roz

I'm taking a 14-day Alaskan cruise on the Noordam in September.  I was looking at tours in Anchorage.  There are 15 on the HAL website, and all but 3 of them say "intransit".  What exactly does that mean?

4 hours ago, Roz said:

I'm taking a 14-day Alaskan cruise on the Noordam in September.  I was looking at tours in Anchorage.  There are 15 on the HAL website, and all but 3 of them say "intransit".  What exactly does that mean?

We're on the May 14 day and I too HAD been confused too.  By the time I called the excursion operator at HAL it was too late and all were booked.  The best she could do was add us to a waiting list.

Hope our experience helps.

1 hour ago, Roz said:

@Seasick Sailor, thank you.  There are only 3 tours for passengers not in transit so I'll have to come up with something on my own.  

Actually in most cases the cruise lines use in transit for those passengers that are returning to the ship for the next leg.  Since this is a `14 day cruise that is also sold as individual 7 days I would interpret in transit to mean that the excursion is only for those that are on for the full 14 days either as a B2B or purchased as 1 14 day trip.    Since you are on for the full 14 days you would be considered to be in transit at Seward and as such could take those excursions.  

If you notice many of those marked in transit talk about returning to the ship.

Your cruise is one of 2 this year that will actually dock at the Port of Anchorage (Nieuw Amsterdam will stop in May) instead of the dozen or so per week that dock at Whitttier or Seward (1-3 hours away) that transit passenges to Anchorage for onward travel (to the interior or to the airport to return home). So despite the huge cruise line presence, there is little attention paid to excursions from the city itself (as evidenced in your paltry offerings). That said, you will be a just a couple of minutes to downtown (hopefully they will run a shuttle) where there is plenty to do and there are lots of tour operators serving the local tourists. There's a lot to do in Anchorage and you are "minutes from Alaska" (inside joke from a former Anchorage resident). Search like you were staying at a hotel and you will find plenty of options.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ldtr said:

Actually in most cases the cruise lines use in transit for those passengers that are returning to the ship for the next leg.  Since this is a `14 day cruise that is also sold as individual 7 days I would interpret in transit to mean that the excursion is only for those that are on for the full 14 days either as a B2B or purchased as 1 14 day trip.    Since you are on for the full 14 days you would be considered to be in transit at Seward and as such could take those excursions.  

If you notice many of those marked in transit talk about returning to the ship.

This cruise in not sold as 2 7-day cruises.  It's a unique 14-day cruise that HAL is doing twice this year.  

3 hours ago, Roz said:

This cruise in not sold as 2 7-day cruises.  It's a unique 14-day cruise that HAL is doing twice this year.  

Your cruise might not. But the excursions are using the same descriptions as is used for the Noordam 7 day north and 7 day south cruises just before yours. So the answer is the same. For your cruise everybody is intransitive and can book those excursions. For the cruise prior they would have only been bookable for those doing the 14 day loop. On your cruise no one is disembarking in Anchorage so everyone can book them.

IDK your cruise schedule for the day but you are a mere 1.5 miles from Ship Creek, the ULU Factory and downtown for starters.  IDK how you get out of the Anchorage Port because it is industrial.  I go fishing down there at Ship Creek, but never went to the Port which is close by.  How long do you have in port that day?