Question about Half Moon Cay for HAL Passengers

LVinTennessee

15 hours ago, LVinTennessee said:

I admit, I’ve only been booked on this cruise for 2-3 weeks, but I have seen no other excursions since booking other than the ones I’ve already mentioned. I don’t even see a clamshell rental.  I made sure I don’t have any filters set, and I clicked “see all excursions,” but still nothing new. 
Do you mind to check your app, Greenspout, to see if you see something that I’m not?

We are on this cruise as well along with the one prior...   I've been checking for excursions since early December and there have been no excursions other than the cabanas and add-ons that are currently listed.   Same with the recently added Freeport stop.  There are also no HMC excursions for the stop (except sold out villas) the prior week either.   Hoping they pop up soon!

I just checked again, on a desktop computer on the HAL website - not the app - and there are no additional excursions other than the cabanas, villas, butler service, and the 1 glass bottom boat that I have already mentioned. Nothing is showing "sold out" either. I am going with 3 other ladies, and they don't see any excursions either. I will call HAL and see what I can find out. 

20 hours ago, LVinTennessee said:

I admit, I’ve only been booked on this cruise for 2-3 weeks, but I have seen no other excursions since booking other than the ones I’ve already mentioned. I don’t even see a clamshell rental.  I made sure I don’t have any filters set, and I clicked “see all excursions,” but still nothing new. 
Do you mind to check your app, Greenspout, to see if you see something that I’m not?

Hi, I checked again, both on the app and on a laptop on their website.  You are correct, nothing is showing for HMC on Mar 20 or just what you see.  I am on the B2B, and can see all excursions on HMC for my second stop on April 1.  No idea what the issue is.  We should be able to see horseback riding/bicycling/snorkle/stingray/kayak/other boat trips/hikes. 

On 2/12/2023 at 6:38 PM, LVinTennessee said:

I just double checked - it’s all beach villas, cabanas, and butler services.  There is one glass bottom boat excursion and that’s it. 

We went on a small nature cruise that was very interesting. It is listed on our cruise at the end of March.

Update - spoke to the shore excursions desk today. Since this sailing had an itinerary change, the excursions for HMC have not been updated yet.  She said eventually, there should be about 45 options.  She said I should just check back everyday because she did not know when the excursions would be added.  We’re almost 30 days out so hopefully it won’t be much longer.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, LVinTennessee said:

Update - spoke to the shore excursions desk today. Since this sailing had an itinerary change, the excursions for HMC have not been updated yet.  She said eventually, there should be about 45 options.  She said I should just check back everyday because she did not know when the excursions would be added.  We’re almost 30 days out so hopefully it won’t be much longer.  

Definitely check frequently because the popular excursions tend to sell out fast, especially if there will be a second ship there that day.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, LVinTennessee said:

Note that she said 45 "options." Each cabana is listed separately, so that's a bunch of "options" that are not "excursions." 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Note that she said 45 "options." Each cabana is listed separately, so that's a bunch of "options" that are not "excursions." 

That's true, between the cabanas, cabana butler options, and clamshell rentals, that's probably well over half the "45 options".

Here's a posting from another site that seems to sum up accurately what we had available for our Dec 2022 HMC visit:

• Aqua Trax (Jet Ski) Adventure (1 hour)
  • Calypso Island Tram Tour (45 minutes)
  • Eco-Bike & Hike (1.25 hours)
  • Eco-Bike & Kayak Adventure (1.25 hours)
  • Eco Lagoon Cruise (1.25 hours)
  • Eco Lagoon Kayak Adventure (1.25 hours)
  • Glass Bottom Boat (1 hour)
  • Guided Tour by Bicycle (1.25 hours)
  • Historic Nature Walk (1.5 hours)
  • Horseback Riding by Land & Sea (1.25 hours)
  • Snorkel by Boat (1.25 hours)
  • Stingray Adventure (1 hour)

We did the Eco Lagoon Kayak Adventure.  It was fun and educational and oriented towards those with little kayak or canoe experience.  Experienced kayakers may find this one a bit slow because the guide pretty much goes at the pace of the slowest paddler.  I think our group was comprised of about 8-10 2-person kayaks.

Most of these excursions had about 3 time options available.  We were in the last time slot for our excursion.  It got back not long before the "last tender" call.  Not to worry--the tour will make sure you are back to the dock area in time.  Plus, we noticed the "last tender" was followed about 15 minutes later with another one with the last stragglers and last crew members.

• Thanks 1

On 2/12/2023 at 7:49 PM, LVinTennessee said:

Definitely u usual - I'd recommend calling the HAL excursion number well in advance rather than waiting until you're onboard. There should be horseback riding, stingrays, glass bottom boat, jet skis, nature walk, clamshells, tram ride... Even when something is sold out, it's usually still posted so you can waitlist.

Just returned 3 days ago from 2 B2B and there were options both weeks. Same for last month and Dec, as well.

An update - I did call the excursion desk again.  Still no excursions loaded for HMC and Freeport.  HAL states that they are still “finalizing” the details. I have also let my TA know just in case she hears anything.

I and another gal going on the trip are checking the website daily. 

On 2/13/2023 at 9:45 AM, wdw1972 said:

Let's hope!  I can't imagine a HAL ship sharing HMC with a Carnival ship!  It was horrific enough when I was on a HAL ship when a Carnival ship was in port with us at Grand Turk.  Talk about a different demographic - after a brief period on shore I went back to the ship!

Sue/WDW1972

This is the type of post that makes me feel nervous about cruising with HAL.

7 hours ago, Cruisin'allovertheworld said:

This is the type of post that makes me feel nervous about cruising with HAL.

HAL DOES NOT share HMC with Carnival. The two cruise lines are NEVER there at the same time. This rumor goes around frequently, but it has never happened.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

HAL DOES NOT share HMC with Carnival. The two cruise lines are NEVER there at the same time. This rumor goes around frequently, but it has never happened.

You've mis-interpreted. I am put off HAL by all the snobbery and derision towards people who choose other cruise lines. I'm nervous about being stuck on a boat with people like that!

9 minutes ago, Cruisin'allovertheworld said:

You've mis-interpreted. I am put off HAL by all the snobbery and derision towards people who choose other cruise lines. I'm nervous about being stuck on a boat with people like that!

I’m not quite sure snobbery is the best term. I think it is fair to say that different cruise lines attract different clientele with different behaviors.

I, for one, am disinterested in being in an environment where there is substantial drinking occurring. I have no issue with people who want to get drunk, but I do not want to be part of that scene today. I am physically not in a good position to deal with people stumbling into me or getting violent with me or other people in my environment where I could be the inadvertent recipient of a push or a punch. HAL does not seem to attract clientele that may get involved in fisticuffs over minor issues (though perhaps orally hostile over a chaise lounge). Other lines appear to. And like oil and water, the mix may not go so well. That’s nit to suggest that every passenger on a ship is going to behave the same way or present the  behavior exhibited by some passengers. Not everyone on HAL is over 60. Not everyone on line X drinks to excess. But a handful of disruptive individuals can have a profound impact on people who are tending to their own business.

• Like 5

On 2/12/2023 at 6:09 PM, LVinTennessee said:

Currently, for a March 19th sailing on Nieux Amsterdam, HAL is not offering excursions in HMC, just cabana rentals.  Will HAL passengers have the option to book other excursions when we exit the ship or is everything else just for Carnival passengers? 

I was at HMC on the Eurodam in Nov. 2021.  Enjoyed "Historic Nature Walk" around the area beyond the beach with a naturalist. 

Edited by BarbinMich

Just an FYI- we did the Calypso island tram  thing last year & enjoyed it, they usually will have at least 2 time slots available for that one.  It gives you an over view of what is available at the island.  The list posted by AFNavigator is a more comprehensive list of what I remember being available.  Enjoy your time there- the water is a clear blue & shallow pretty far out, making it an easy beach day.  Don't forget the free island BBQ which will be available during certain hours- sorry cannot remember the hours.  They had burgers plus a bunch of other options there with a nice shaded area to eat.

9 hours ago, Banditswife said:

Just an FYI- Don't forget the free island BBQ which will be available during certain hours- sorry cannot remember the hours.  They had burgers plus a bunch of other options there with a nice shaded area to eat.

lunch is 11- 1. Many options beyond burgers, including veggies. The bbq alone is worth the stop.

1 hour ago, Haljo1935 said:

lunch is 11- 1. Many options beyond burgers, including veggies. The bbq alone is worth the stop.

I’ll need to disagree with you on the bbq being worth the trip.  It’s a hassle to tender back and forth to the island with long waits while they fill the tender.  There’s absolutely nothing special about the food, you can find everything at the bbq on the ship with less of a crowd.  Let everyone else get off and enjoy the ship