Questions regarding Transfer Civitavecchia → FCO

cavaaller

I just booked a cruise ending in Civitavecchia . I searched this forum and found that the recommended options for private transfers (2 pax) seem to be 

RomeCabs/CIV Shuttle Express/CCS  (all 140 E) and Rome in a Limo 170 E. 

We have some OBC and unfortunately the excursions that would have interested us (eg Malaga → Alhambra) are not offered (or already sold out?) so I wonder if I could use some of our OBC to buy a transport to the Airport on board?

What would you recommend - private transfer or wait to board and hope to be able to purchase the Cruise-Line's transfer with OBC?

(The Transfer would cost 65*2=130 if I bought it via my TA- so just a little cheaper than the private transport).

Edited by cavaaller

You are certainly correct and I hope my post didn’t imply that you could. 

If the flight is at 14:00, then there should be no need to leave before around 8:00 and there will be lots of Azamara transfers available.

At least there were the last time we disembarked at that 8:00 at Civitavecchia.

Using OBC makes a lot of sense.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Cheapest Way is by train in about 1 and a half hour. There is a bus from the Terminal to the trainstation for 3€ and the train starts at 11€ with an changing stop in rome. 

But you have to calculate more time. Azamara is in the first docking position. When we were there in October, busses driving through to the end where a big NCL Ship changing passenger. Every bus coming back was full and time was running for our train and for other Azamara passengers train. So I stopped an empty bus going to the back by jumping on the street with my luggage. After long and loud discussion (italy 😉) he took us with him. 

So I will do it again, but with more time as buffer. If you're good by foot with luggage you can walk to train station, it's about 1,2km

• Thanks 2

We were on Azamara in November, disembarking in Monaco and we wanted a transfer to a hotel in Nice, not to the airport.  So a standard ship's transfer wouldn't work for us.

We had lots of OBC.  It was suggested to me on these boards that once onboard we inquire with the concierge to arrange a private transfer.  We did and were able to use our OBC.   So you can probably arrange for a private transfer if you wish and use OBC to cover it.

However, we found for our transfer the price was high.   Now transportation is controlled in Monaco, so the prices there are very high.   When the concierge asked about the size of the vehicle we would need, we let him know that we had only 3 small cases (carry on size) and a standard car would do.   Some members here on CC indicated price might be around $140-150 or so.   The concierge quoted me $210 and asked if he should book it.  Since we had a huge amount of OBC that we were hard pressed to use up, we booked it.   Upon disembarkation we found we were in a van that seated 6 or 8 people.    This may or may not be relevant to a transfer from Civitavecchia to Fiumicino but I wanted to share our experience.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, jkhneuber said:

Cheapest Way is by train in about 1 and a half hour. There is a bus from the Terminal to the trainstation for 3€ and the train starts at 11€ with an changing stop in rome. 

But you have to calculate more time. Azamara is in the first docking position. When we were there in October, busses driving through to the end where a big NCL Ship changing passenger. Every bus coming back was full and time was running for our train and for other Azamara passengers train. So I stopped an empty bus going to the back by jumping on the street with my luggage. After long and loud discussion (italy 😉) he took us with him. 

So I will do it again, but with more time as buffer. If you're good by foot with luggage you can walk to train station, it's about 1,2km

Why would you want to end a wonderful trip with the stress of catching busses and trains?  I guess for us, saving a few dollars isn’t worth the stress.

• Like 4

We’ve used a company called Jayride that is basically like a broker, and have found very reasonably priced private transfers throughout Europe.  If you decide not to use obc, may be worth checking them out.  We’ve also used Joe Banana Limos for private transportation in Italy and have always been very happy with their service.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, laurieb said:

saving a few dollars isn’t worth the stress.

You're right, but the stress was not planned, we had buffer. And it was our 4th time there and first time with problems.

We had to take the train because we had our car in bologna. It was the Italy Intensive from Ravenna to Civitavecchia. And you can get no taxi to the trainstation, because they want only drives to the airport or rome. 

6 hours ago, roberts2005 said:

Just a warning about the train.  You will likely have to go up and down steps to get to the right track.  Not easy with large luggage.  Also depending on time of day the trains are crowded with commuters

Ditto this!  It is not a relaxing way to end a holiday.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, laurieb said:

Why would you want to end a wonderful trip with the stress of catching busses and trains?  I guess for us, saving a few dollars isn’t worth the stress.

Even Rick Steves, notoriously cheap [although never as cheap as Arthur Frommer was in the Europe on $5 a Day days 😀], advises spending money to save time and stress.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Even Rick Steves, notoriously cheap [although never as cheap as Arthur Frommer was in the Europe on $5 a Day days 😀], advises spending money to save time and stress.

Rick Steves is not that young anymore and has learned to value what it means to spend on things that make your life easier 😀

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2