Alaska - Sights from the ship vs Excursions

Debate

I’m more interested in seeing the place than the boat …. Can you  “see” Alaska - glaciers, wildlife, etc. from the boat or are you dependent on excursions ?   I have some mobility limitations and am afraid excursions could be difficult.  Weighing the cost of the small boats over the larger and what I could see from the ship.  

Lots to see from the ship itself, including wildlife. Bring binoculars. Never forgot my first sighting of bald eagles - what were all those white spots in the trees! 

Dress warmly to be on deck.  Stay inside and enjoy the sights from the Crows Nest or the toasty Lido "sun room" -when all the chairs are now placed to look out the windows instead of towards the pool.  

The ship will slowly view whatever glacier bay is on you itinerary,  even turning the ship around so both sides of the ship get full views. The towns are compact so short walks take you to most sights if you are not on an excusrion.  (Depending on where the ship actually docks -some are right in town.)

Alaska is the treat - surprisingly green and can be full of flowers - mainly rhododendrons and rain forest vegetation. 

• Like 1

In my experience it is difficult to see wildlife from the ship. You have to be in the right place at the right time and be looking in the right direction, and even then and with binoculars, you won't see very clearly. The ship is just too far away from where the animal is most of the time. I believe many of the excursions are accessible.

• Like 1

You can definitely see glaciers from the ship. Most, it not all, Alaska itineraries will include a scenic cruising day at a glacier area (Glacier Bay, Hubbard Glacier, etc) and the views are stunning right from the deck of the ship. HAL usually opens the bow to passengers during said day as well so you’ll be able to enjoy that. 

I wouldn’t count on seeing much impressive wildlife from the ship though. As others stated it’s mostly a “right place, right time” scenario and even then you aren’t that close. We saw whales from the Westerdam back in 2016 once and they were pretty far out. Close enough to see what they were but not enough to be a remarkable experience. We did see a lot of seals during the Glacier Bay day though. 

In port there is enough to do without overly expensive excursions, esp on a first trip. I’m going for the second time to Alaska in August and will be booking a couple of excursions this time but only the Yukon train one is particularly costly. You can certainly have a great trip to Alaska without the $600+ helicopter and flight excursions though so don’t worry about that if those are out of you price (or mobility) range. 

Edited by Bostonjetset
  • Like 1

I have to echo most everything of what the previous posters say.  For me, the scenery was the biggest draw and it was everything I’d hoped it would be.  The best views were from the ship.  I did not do excursions because I did not need to walk on a glacier or see wildlife up close and personal on my first visit.  

In Glacier Bay we saw seals and otters very close.  If you don’t mind viewing the rest with binoculars you will also see mountain goats and eagles and even some whales, depending on conditions and time of year.  The Park Ranger’s commentary during Glacier Bay scenic cruising was excellent.  THIS THREAD will give you an idea of what to expect as it includes pictures of the breathtaking scenery.  

Don’t worry about trying to do everything on your first trip.  You won’t go away disappointed with whatever you choose.  Have a wonderful time!

• Like 3

I recall an old joke the best thing about Anchorage is Alaska is only 15 minutes away.

Icy blue waters, lush green forests, brilliant wild flowers,  snow-capped mountains and crystalline turquoise glaciers that nosily calve into the sea. Clean, clean air with dramatic cloud shows against an ever changing sky.

The other old joke about Alaska, don't like the weather? Just wait 15 minutes and it will change. 

We have been to Alaska numerous times.  It is nice to get off the ship and do some hikes/walks in the ports if you don't want to do excursions.    On our last Alaska trip, late August, we saw a huge whale migration.  We were sitting on our veranda and saw a blow hole, we thought it was one whale  at first but soon realized it was two to three lead whales, leading a pack of over 100+  whales, right next to our ship with the mothers, babies etc.  It was one of the most fabulous sites I have seen in my life.  So yes in Alaska it is being in the right place at the right time.  You just never know. This is one cruise though where I would absolutely recommend a veranda.  

• Like 3

alaska is a great cruise even for those who want to mostly stay on the ship...the inside passage generally keeps you close to land BUT don't think you will see much in the way of land based wildlife like bears moose etc....it is fun to try and imagine what is 10 or 100 or 1000 miles on the other side of the mountains along the inside passage and how many bears etc live there and what a true wilderness it is

.....you may well see some whales sea lions bald eagles etc depending on time of year.....i have spend untold hours sitting on deck watching the ocean on the inside passage....once on crystal there was a pod of whales that came up right beside the ship and followed along for 15 mins or so up close...but since it was near dinnertime it was me and maybe a handful of others who actually saw it as everybody else was inside eating drinking or doing their thing....my thing has always been to spend a lot of time on deck looking at beautiful alaska and less time in a cruise dining room or showroom....other than glaciers some people seem to rarely if ever even walk out onto the deck for more than 5 mins....up to them, their cruise...

as said most of the ports can provide an easy comfortable short walk around town or if able you can go on a variety of hikes....in Juneau u can easily ride a city bus for a couple of $$ and see a good bit of how the locals there live (google it as bus stop close to ship and simple)..

.one good ride is out to auk bay a good spot to get off and walk around the fishing boats etc  few if any tourists around that area...easy to figure out bus back to ship when ready....a pleasant way to spend a few hours for a few dollars..goes through some residential areas that are also kind of interesting...

....there is also a city bus that goes near mendenhall glacier but some walking involved to get close to glacier...cost a couple of bucks compared to way way more for ship excursion...

best tip :  read James Michener ALASKA before your cruise..it is a long book but it sure makes it more interesting when you know a bit more of the history involved in the 49th state ....avail in most any library or used paperback for a few dollars...i have read it several times and learn / remember something new every trip...best to read it before your cruise....

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, dockman said:

best tip :  read James Michener ALASKA before your cruise..it is a long book but it sure makes it more interesting when you know a bit more of the history involved in the 49th state ....avail in most any library or used paperback for a few dollars...i have read it several times and learn / remember something new every trip...best to read it before your cruise....

Agreed: this is the best possible tip for someone going to Alaska for the first time. Then, when you see the places talked about in the book, you have a much deeper appreciation of it all. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You may want to consider a cruise/land tour combo that includes a tour of Denali National Park.  You're much more likely to see wildlife up close in the Park.  Plus seeing the mountain is amazing.  Also I'd recommend a whale watching tour in Juneau if that interests you.

• Like 1

I wouldn’t have seen any of these flowers or berries or sea life if I hadn’t gotten off the ship.  The majority of these pics are just walking around the port towns and meandering off the well beaten path to discover something new. The waterfall was an excursion. 

55463CF9-6B0C-42A8-856E-472FDC420A32.jpeg

D0C5B604-0F3C-4005-92B4-B32B31633670.jpeg

C00408B3-DC41-4C8F-A35E-027E42CACBCA.jpeg

3B314157-74A7-43C1-913E-8E79715C1F79.jpeg

8F4FC1FD-6923-4A48-91A4-BE8200BBE075.jpeg

7D596AAE-5F83-4858-B13A-20110DECCC44.jpeg

B6AF7010-523D-4F0F-B606-30CD184B909B.jpeg

6377A4E6-A222-4BF8-AB47-F12606495A33.jpeg

8ECB0099-1D17-450F-A82E-659998CD7187.jpeg

A2C5125F-5794-4554-B0AB-1452F433F41F.jpeg

D018ED3C-940D-46E4-A5B8-DF4A1A980E02.jpeg

2B21B660-7D6F-4D0A-9216-DE9F74B86A21.jpeg