Apex or Reflection ship for Caribbean Cruise?

debhaz22

If you want a balcony or Promenade deck, do not go on E Class.

The Infinity Balcony is just a giant port hole! 

Open the balcony window and the AC shuts off. Not fun in the Caribbean unless you love a hot room.

There is no air circulation on the balcony because it is entirely enclosed all the way to rail.

On the E Class, the life boats are sitting on the Promenade deck, so no seating except in eating areas. On the S Class, the life boats hang above the Promenade deck and plenty of seating and air circulation (wind!). 

You can probably guess, I like cool wind!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Largelatteinparadise said:

If you want a balcony or Promenade deck, do not go on E Class.

The Infinity Balcony is just a giant port hole! 

Open the balcony window and the AC shuts off. Not fun in the Caribbean unless you love a hot room.

There is no air circulation on the balcony because it is entirely enclosed all the way to rail.

On the E Class, the life boats are sitting on the Promenade deck, so no seating except in eating areas. On the S Class, the life boats hang above the Promenade deck and plenty of seating and air circulation (wind!). 

You can probably guess, I like cool wind!

Glad I don't let others opinions influence are decisions. We had a DPV stateroom on the Apex and enjoyed the entire setup.  

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

WOW! This seems to really bother you.

This lady asked for ‘advice’ on which ship to book.  

I gave her some ‘facts’ about the room to let her know if she had sailed on other ships and was expecting a regular balcony based on those other ships, she will be disappointed.  

She can use my  information along with the other comments or not - her  choice.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Largelatteinparadise said:

WOW! This seems to really bother you.

This lady asked for ‘advice’ on which ship to book.  

I gave her some ‘facts’ about the room to let her know if she had sailed on other ships and was expecting a regular balcony based on those other ships, she will be disappointed.  

She can use my  information along with the other comments or not - her  choice.

Not at all.  Sounds as your feathers are ruffled. You shared your opinion and I shared mine. No biggie. 

To me, the question by OP is "do I order the filet or the strip steak?".

First of all, both are beautiful ships, so it really comes down to preferences and opportunities. The cruise itinerary would factor into my decision as would cabin availability. While Reflection is older, it is anything but old and Apex represents some of the most modern design elements on cruise ships. However, both are well appointed, have many wonderful spaces and great traffic flow. I have never felt crowded on either, except the pool area on Reflection during sea days.

Many of previous posters have identified the key differences: style of balconies, restaurant options, Retreat class amenities and their location, etc. To expand on those, Eden and the Magic Carpet are unique spaces that have no equivalent on Reflection. Apex's pool area is bigger, but with the upper deck seating areas on Reflection, it probably has more seating "near" the pool area. If you like a quieter pool experience, the Apex Retreat pool deck is beautiful. Personally, I like the layout of Michaels to the Retreat Lounge, but others differ. The theater in Apex is state of the art with its video screens and allows for more involved production shows.

Hope this is helpful and enjoy your cruise!!!

25 minutes ago, Crazy planning mom said:

DaveKathy, are you going to write a review?  Would love to hear more.

No. Not a review person. Any specific question(s) I will try to answer. We booked this cruise for the itinerary and not the ship. Nice surprise about the ship. We were in a DPV on deck 7. The stateroom was perfect for us. I will admit when Celebrity first introduced the concept videos of the Edge class ships we both said, "not for us". This first morning at breakfast my wife asked what I was having. I said  alphabet soup with a side of crow and humble pie. She said, what. I admitted my impressions of the E class ships were totally wrong and was going to eat my own words. She agreed we both were wrong. We both were very impressed with "just about everything" about the Apex. While onboard the Apex we booked a future cruise on the Edge.  

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

On 3/31/2023 at 12:15 PM, Crazy planning mom said:

DaveKathy, are you going to write a review?  Would love to hear more.

We wrote a review covering major points of our two week b/t/b Apex cruise.  Loved it.  But also enjoy the charm of the Reflection and Silhouette.

• Like 2