Apex or Reflection ship for Caribbean Cruise?

debhaz22

We went our our first Apex cruise last year and really like it, if you're into very modern ship, with a big focus on technology from using your phone to control your room to the big screens on stage for performances you'll like it. We are actually going on the reflection for our first time in two weeks, and have been told by many people to be prepared for a more traditional cruise experience, less technology more social things.

I'm excited to get on the reflection to check out the difference personally, but we also have another Apex cruise already booked for Feb 2024, because we really like her. I think as others have said it may come down to the stops, if you like more sea days or port days. I'll say based on the other discussions on the forms, I'm not looking forward to stopping at GC, we'll give it a shot this time around, but may look closer at stops in the future if it's the same as others have been saying.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cmaleblanc said:

We went our our first Apex cruise last year and really like it, if you're into very modern ship, with a big focus on technology from using your phone to control your room to the big screens on stage for performances you'll like it. We are actually going on the reflection for our first time in two weeks, and have been told by many people to be prepared for a more traditional cruise experience, less technology more social things.

I'm excited to get on the reflection to check out the difference personally, but we also have another Apex cruise already booked for Feb 2024, because we really like her. I think as others have said it may come down to the stops, if you like more sea days or port days. I'll say based on the other discussions on the forms, I'm not looking forward to stopping at GC, we'll give it a shot this time around, but may look closer at stops in the future if it's the same as others have been saying.  

do both ships have open Promenade for shops...?

22 minutes ago, debhaz22 said:

I'm sorry...but what is S and E-class ships?

E class ships = Edge class which includes Edge (oldest), Apex, Beyond, and Ascent (Dec 2023). There is a fifth unnamed ship still to be built. 

S class ships = Solstice class which include Solstice (oldest), Equinox, Eclipse, Silhouette, and Reflection (youngest).

To complete the discussion, there are the older M class ships (Millennium class) which includes Millennium (oldest), Infinity, Summit, and Constellation (youngest).  First ships to have specialty restaurants (the original ones were beautiful). They are all still in service. 

Gone but not forgotten are the beautiful C class ships (Century class) which include Century (oldest), Galaxy, and Mercury (youngest). 

And finally there is Horizon and Zenith which were the first two ships built by Celebrity in the early 90's. No balconies on those ships back then!

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, debhaz22 said:

the Apex has balcony cabins right?  (not familiar with this at all!  lol)

The Apex (new E (for Edge) Class ship), have something called an infinite veranda, basically just a floor to ceiling window, the top half will open to give you the balcony experience. It's an extremally polarizing design choice some people love them some hate them.  They will offer a traditional balcony experience but it's the more expensive and limited option of sunset at the back of the boat. We personally didn't mind the IV's but I can understand why some people would prefer a traditional balcony.

4 minutes ago, debhaz22 said:

Yes they do. Based on what I've read on other peoples post the new ships seems to have more or larger shops compared to the older ships, but both will offer a retail area for buying expensive things.

3 minutes ago, debhaz22 said:

S class are the Solstice class ships, that's solstice and reflection along with another one. The E Class or edge class are the newest ships, Apex, Beyond..etc. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, debhaz22 said:

S Class:

Solstice, Eclipse, Equinox, and Reflection

E Class:

Edge, Apex,Beyond, and soon Ascent 

Oops, I was a little late.  😄

Edited by Texed
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, debhaz22 said:

On both ship designs the shopping areas are not like those on the larger Royal Caribbean ships. There are certainly different types of shops but they aren't arranged like a shopping mall. The atriums of both ships have mainly various bars,seating areas and restaurants that surround the multiple deck atriums. The shops line the hallways on a couple of decks. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, debhaz22 said:

the Apex has balcony cabins right?  (not familiar with this at all!  lol)

Not traditional balconies, unless you are in a suite or aft facing cabin. The E Class ships have what they call Infinity Veranda balconies (IV) which is basically a big window that opens and closes more like a sunroom than an open deck at home. There are many thread on CC with the pros and cons of them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, debhaz22 said:

We're hoping to get some opinions/advice on whether to choose the 8 night Caribbean cruise on the Reflection or the 7 night on Apex?  Anyone??  THANKS!

I would go with the Reflection because of Tortola.  I go for the ports.

• Like 1

Just one person's opinion, but I think the Infinity Balcony concept is among the stupidest marine design we have seen in over 50 years of extensive cruising.  Unless we were cruising in an E-Class  suite that had a real balcony, we would opt for one of S-Class ships in a cabin that had a real balcony,  

Hank

• Like 4

I've never been on any E-Class ship, but we love Reflection and will be sailing aboard her again soon.  As mentioned, the "infinite veranda" (a.k.a., the "window") is polarizing and a matter of taste as to whether one may enjoy it.  We would not.

Tortola also is a lovely island and a much more unusual stop.  That's reason to take the Reflection cruise in itself.

• Like 2

Just now, Hlitner said:

Just one person's opinion, but I think the Infinity Balcony concept is among the stupidest marine design we have seen in over 50 years of extensive cruising.  Unless we were cruising in an E-Class  suite that had a real balcony, we would opt for one of S-Class ships in a cabin that had a real balcony,    To us, that real balcony is a true cabin extender.  I can sit out on my balcony at night or in the morning while DW sleeps inside the cabin.  If one of us wants to take a nap, the other can sit on the balcony without disturbing the other.  I was never a big fan of "French Balconies" on river boats so I sure do not like the same thing on a cruise ship!  At least on the river boat, the company can make the case that they need to have french balconies because of maximum width issues with locks.  On a cruise ship?  Just a stupid design.

Hank

• Like 3

2 hours ago, debhaz22 said:

S class(named after first ship in class): Solstice, Equinox, Eclipse, Silhouette, Reflection

E class (named after first ship in class): Edge, Apex, Beyond, Ascent

• Like 1