St. Paddy's day onboard celebration?

We cruise a lot during spring break, which for us almost always includes St. Patty's day.  You'll see green beer in the bars, and lots of people wearing green, and all sorts of hats/beads/etc.     I don't recall any food with an Irish nod though.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toddcan said:

We cruise a lot during spring break, which for us almost always includes St. Patty's day.  You'll see green beer in the bars, and lots of people wearing green, and all sorts of hats/beads/etc.     I don't recall any food with an Irish nod though.  

Thank you! I'm glad to know that it will be a little wilder than usual that evening! looking forward to the green beer!!!

15 hours ago, Billy Baltic said:

Corned beef? That’s kinda funny. It must be 30 years since I seen that. By the way there’s no green beer in Ireland, even on St Patrick’s day 😊

I live in an area of the US with a lot of Irish Americans (our Saint Patrick’s day parade is sponsored by the town’s Irish American club, which is held before Saint Patrick’s day because there are a finite amount of pipers for local parades). Corned beef is everywhere! And we know it’s not a traditional Irish meal, it began in the US when the Irish came over and couldn’t find the meat they were used to, I don’t recall my grandmother ever making it, and she loved to boil meat (my dad used to talk about her bad cooking, and his mom was from Scotland and really no better). Last year Costco had the best corned beef with very little fat, stocking up this year.

• Like 2

Cruised several times during St. Patrick's Day.  Will be again this year.  There are usually some decorations in the pub and green beer.   For the most part, everyone sort of does their own thing.  Many will dress in green etc.  The ship really doesn't do much.

My wife's birthday is on March 17th. We usually try to plan our cruises to coincide with her birthday which means we are on a ship quite often on St. Patrick's Day. RCI does a great job decorating for St. Patrick's Day. There are shamrocks everywhere. MANY people seem to bring green clothes with them on the cruise to be in the festive mode.

17 hours ago, queenfrostine22 said:

Thank you! I'm glad to know that it will be a little wilder than usual that evening! looking forward to the green beer!!!

Not sure you will find a wilder than usual evening.  Lots of green, yes. I recall we cruised on a St Pat's day and I don't recall any unusual partying.

M

1 hour ago, ValerieJo said:

Cruised several times during St. Patrick's Day.  Will be again this year.  There are usually some decorations in the pub and green beer.   For the most part, everyone sort of does their own thing.  Many will dress in green etc.  The ship really doesn't do much.

This is my experience too.  

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
7 minutes ago, Scarlett65 said:

What cruise will you be on? We are excited to be cruising on St. Patrick’s Day. Let the celebration begin! I do hope they have corned beef and colcannon. 

We'll be on Wonder next St. Patrick's Day (actually the next two unless our plans change).

I'm not expecting much other than people wearing green but you never know.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2023 at 9:27 PM, queenfrostine22 said:

Thank you to everyone who replied. this is my first st. patricks day cruise and since I am Irish it will be nice to see people "celebrating "  it along with me.  

Nice! Where in Ireland are you from?

Did you do this cruise yet?

Many years ago, we cruised with a few Irish folks and enjoyed watching the men walk through the Promenade in full Irish garments while playing bagpipes!! It was soooooo cool! Maybe we'll get to see that again on our March, 2025 cruise! Cheers!

If Ireland doesn't have green beer or cook corned beef on St Pat's Day, how about Irish stew with fresh breads? That would be delicious!

• Like 1

On 8/30/2023 at 9:54 AM, OCSC Mike said:

We'll be on Wonder next St. Patrick's Day (actually the next two unless our plans change).

I'm not expecting much other than people wearing green but you never know.

We'll see you there in '24,  We've cruised many St Patrick days and the festivities are a bit underwhelming compared to what we see her in st louis(and I know many other cities)

Dan O'Connell

• Like 1