Question for divers in Roatan

DavidsNana

My adult grandson wants to dive in Roatan when we are there.  He will be bringing his own fins and mask and when he dives in the US he usually carries a dive knife just in case of an emergency, he is a trained rescue and recovery diver.  Have any of you carried a dive knife onboard the ship and were you able to take it and bring it back to the ship through the security at the port in Roatan?  The ship policy states that he can bring it onboard but it must be checked with security and then checked out when he goes diving.  If you have ever done this, how has it worked?  Is it a hassle?  Thank you for any info you can give me.

Yep, depending upon the cruise line, it's a varying degree of hassle.  Rules vary based onthe blade length of the knife, and the interpretation of the rules by the security staff.  Pretty unlikely that a knife will be needed on a guided dive in Roatan. 

Harris

Denver, CO

I take cheap EMT shears with me as well. Buy 'em cheap by the pack on Amazon. Use them for every thing including diving.   Dived on a cruise in Curacao, bonaire and Aruba in December  and just got back from a cruise diving in Roatan and Mexico .

We did run across a tangle of fishing line strung across a reef in Bonaire but the guide just pulled it loose and wrapped it up. 

Edited by mac66
  • Thanks 1

the guide / divemaster will have shears or a knife ...... Mrs and I both had knives in our standard gear and diving since the mid 80's only times I remember them being used was to open a drink can when the tab broke, stubborn plastic wrap around a sandwich, or to tap on the tank to get partners attention!

Daughter was an 'intern' at CocoView in Roatan a few years back and her kit didn't include a knife ... still doesn't ......

P7036408.thumb.JPG.25cf8a06bad0614db70ae87f2d19e145.JPG

Most dive ops in the keys won't let you have one ..... or gloves .....

toe nail clippers will breeze thru fishing line!!!!

Edited by Capt_BJ
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I also bring EMS shears, knife is a pain on a cruise ship as security usually "holds on to it for you" and you need to check it out when diving and check it back in when returning.