Excursions

hillswood

31 minutes ago, hillswood said:

I am looking to explore Gran Canaria, Madeira and Lanzarote from the cruise ship on my own and not use the ships excursions. Any tips on the best places to see in 4/5 hours? And what transport to use. 

If you go to the Ports of Call section of CC you will see forums for all those places with information on things to do, see and transportation.   Link:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/8-europe/

18 hours ago, hillswood said:

I am looking to explore Gran Canaria, Madeira and Lanzarote

Hi hills wood. Good advice above.  You could also post on the board for the cruise line if you are departing from the UK as lots of UK passengers will have useful experience.  Some ideas from our visits: 

Gran Canaria: we ve been a few times, Las Palmas is one of my favourite ports. the hop on hop off bus is good and gets you to the old part of the city which has a brilliant museum and lovely old buildings.  we've also hired bikes, there is a hire place about 10 mins walk from the dock. Havent tried getting out to the rest of the island, as we had been on previous land based holidays.

Madeira: depending how far you want to go and if you've been before: the must do is the cable car up to Monte and the various gardens.  If you like walking you can get out into the country straight from the top of the cable car (along the water channels called Llevadas, google that and you ll find loads of info). 

the bus network in Madeira is good but I would worry about getting back to the ship in time if going far out of Funchal. 

Lanzarote: the volcanic park is the best trip, and there will be a ships tour.  Not so sure how you would get there otherwise but taxis are an option.  

For Madeira the cable car up to Monte is a great way to see much of the island, then the small church at the top has the tomb of The last emperor of the Austro-Hungarian Empire - seeing the list of his titles alone is worth the ride (Emperor of Austrian, King of Hungary, Grand Duke of Bohemia, etc., etc., etc.)  Then ride down the mountain in one of those wicker chairs on skids steered by the feet of your conductor.

• Like 1

Madeira - there's plenty to interest you in Funchal , no need for a tour.

As per NBT's post, the cablecar up to Monte and the wicker sleds back down. They only come about halfway down, then join others to barter a taxi back to town.

Lanzarote, rent a car and drive to Timanfaya National Park, set in a moonscape of volcanic rock. See straw thrown into a hole  instantly burn and a bucket of water turn into a jet of steam, see cooking on the natural heat, then park's bus for a drive across the contorted volcanic debris of rocks & boulders. (I'm a retired coach driver & impressed by the drivers' handling of that tight & tortuous road).

Then drive a public road across the lava-field to El Golfo and its green lagoon, and from there to Los Hervideros, where the lava entered the sea with some amazing rock formations. If the road from El Golfo is still closed (landslip) you can still take that road, it's open as far as Los Hervideros.

Then mebbe head for the attractive  little resort of Playa Blanca..

Cicar is the premier car rental agency throughout the Canaries - depot in the port, we've used them many times, clean modern cars, sensible fuel policy, and - most important - no rip-offs.

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull
  • Like 1